Arch

Default Musing about corks, old friends and olive branches

There's much to learn over on the fine forum, Wood Central where so many
good people were driven from here by trolls and flames. Recently Ruth
Niles, one of the best, showed pics of her new bottle stopper there. Her
stainless steel and O ring stopper is thought to be a distinct
improvement over the cork or plated steel stoppers currently available.
The shape is pleasing and easy to install and stainless steel seems
superior to the cork or plated steel products currently available.

This is meant as friendly support of someone who has contributed much to
rcw in past years. Yes, I hope this helps Ruth, but It's not an ad and a
disclaimer isn't offered. FYI, you might want to take a look at her pics
and the thread re 'corked' wine is informative. but come on back to rcw
and bring some old friends with you.

Some of us like Barry Turner and others enjoy both WC and RCW. IMO, it's
a good combo of different type forums for woodturners and I suspect many
who abandoned rcw still lurk here occasionally.

Ruth, Russ, Lawrence, Lyn, Peter, Bill, Dave, Eduardo, Brad, Pascal and
all you other good people; we learned a lot from you. If you do lurk
here from time to time, touch base when you can. We aren't trolls and
this olive branch, altho bent & warped, isn't spalted.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Leif Thorvaldson

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

=====Yes, I too have sorely missed them, Arch. However, they deserted us
after a few stupid trolls. I guess they figured we weren't worth hanging
around for! *SOB* Just a bunch of sensitive "artistes!" They're gonna miss
the latest developments in LDD technology and your Musings. Pretty high
price for a snit!*G*

Leif

Peter Charles Fagg

Arch, as yet I have not suffered any ills nor did I suffer from trolls,
but I do not post here very often simply because there are no questions
I am capable of answering.

I lurk, as you call it, every single day hoping that somewhere someone
needs just the information I have locked away in the grey matter!

More time is spent on WOW than anywhere else because I just love
looking at the beautiful pieces my fellow turners make.

I will have to visit this "Wood Central" I have never heard of it
before.

Regards,
Peter Charles Fagg
Freshwater, Isle of Wight,
United Kingdom.
www.petersplatters.co.uk
Each can do but little!
But if each DID that little,
ALL would be done!

Barry N. Turner

Maybe I'm just too stubborn to leave. Actually, when I started turning
seriously, I started reading rcw. I learned a lot from a lot of very good
turners and "met" some very nice people who had the patience to answer my
stupid questions over and over again. I have a lot of gratitude for a lot
of folks. Unfortunately for all of us who are still here, a lot of these
people did drift away for various reasons. Yes I do lurk over at Wood
Central (and comment occasionally), but I still hang around here too. To
tell the truth, I miss those guys (and gals) who drifted away. Thanks for
noticing I'm still here. And there.

Barry

PS I'll second that motion. I'd love to see some of our old friends back
here.

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Gee, Arch, thanks so much for the heart-felt feelings! Sure I still
lurk here, how could I just leave and not check to see who is saying
what?

Leif, snit? snit? Watch it or I'll dump some LDD on your keyboard!
I miss you, too. : )

Like the others already said, I learned an awful lot from this group.
I started on rec.woodworking in 1990 when someone there told me about
rcw and this was the only forum I read and posted on for almost 3
years. I didn't drift because of the trolls, to tell the truth there
were times when Al K. was rather entertaining, the spam and x-rated
junk was annoying, I just got quiet (Me? quiet?).

I do post on woodcentral but not near as much as I used to
here.......we really did have a lot of fun, didn't we? I miss that.

Thanks for your kind words.

Ruth and The General
(only now it's his big brother, 26020 VS!)

Dave Peebles

Hello Arch.

I still lurk here too. I check out what is going on almost every day. I just
don't post much anymore.

But to tell you the truth... I still come here mostly to read what you have
to say on the state of the world and woodturning. I love a post that make me
think about things. You my friend are the master of such posts.

I hope we can meet in person some day, but for now I will have to be content
to read your musings. So please keep them coming!!

Best wishes,
Dave

David Peebles
Lyons, Ohio
Revolutions Woodturning
www.bowlturner.com

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Ken Moon

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

================================
Ruth,
Glad to know we haven't lost you completely! Do speak up from time to time
so we don't miss you so much.
I see you have a newer, bigger toy; is the monotube still in use for
anything?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

Leif Thorvaldson

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
ink.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

=====Ruth is totally fickle when it comes to her former lathes, she
abandoned the monotube after years of faithful service, and I am sure the
General is suffering a similar ignominious fate after a few years of
dedicated service to her cause!8^(

Leif

I see you have a newer, bigger toy; is the monotube still in use for
anything?

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

*************************
Hi Ken,

I sold the monotube but do miss it. Pay no attention to Leif! I did
love that machine and sold the General (which gave me nothing but grief
not faithful service) to the guy who bought my place. I told him all
the faults, he only wants to turn spindles and it's fine for that.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

Hey Owen,
I read your posts just about all the time! Yes, sadly I did sell
my place. I do NOT miss the house at all; 150 yr. old farm house, no
insulation, no elec. on 2nd floor, etc. but I really miss my barn,
shop, garden, cats and chickens. My shop is temporarily set up in a
garage behind my one son's transmission business. It's ok but it's
not my barn!

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

Joe Fleming

Amen to that, Arch. While I started to read WoodCentral when the
trolls hit, I stuck here too. There have been way too many good
discussion started and ffriendships made here to abondon ship.

I do have to admit, however, that my participation on any and all
discussion groups has significantly tailed off in the last couple of
years. There is too much content and too few hours to get through it
all. A don't look at the AAW or Wood magazine discussions. I don't
view the AAW photo page either. I really dislike the multiple posts
across many groups. If I got to pick, we would only need r.c.w for
discussions and WOW for photos. All the rest are redundant.
Unfortunately, I don't think this proliferation of groups will be
reversed.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Owen, I had electricity downstairs and I only used the upstairs to
sleep and I knew where the bed was! : )

Question: how do you reply to a post and delete all the previous posts
or at least be able to take only what you wish to respond to and have
that appear?

Ruth

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Owen, I had electricity downstairs and I only used the upstairs to
sleep and I knew where the bed was! : )

Question: how do you reply to a post and delete all the previous posts
or at least be able to take only what you wish to respond to and have
that appear?

Looks like you're posting through Google rather than using a reader, so I
would suggest the normal Windows functions of highlight, cut and paste.
There's a Mac equivalent, but I'm out of the classroom for so long I've
forgotten.

Peter Hyde

In article , "George"
wrote:

Looks like you're posting through Google rather than using a reader, so I
would suggest the normal Windows functions of highlight, cut and paste.
There's a Mac equivalent, but I'm out of the classroom for so long I've
forgotten.

George it is the same for a Mac. Remember Windows was copied from the
Mac Graphic User Interface (GUI) and so most of the Keyboard functions
are exactly the same. Just that Macs do it better :-)

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://peterhyde.bravehost.com/
Lobby Dosser

Peter Hyde wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

Looks like you're posting through Google rather than using a reader,
so I would suggest the normal Windows functions of highlight, cut and
paste. There's a Mac equivalent, but I'm out of the classroom for so
long I've forgotten.

George it is the same for a Mac. Remember Windows was copied from the
Mac Graphic User Interface (GUI)

Which was copied from Xerox! No wonder Windows is sooo bad, it's a copy of
a copy. )

and so most of the Keyboard functions
are exactly the same. Just that Macs do it better :-)

George

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Peter Hyde wrote:

In article , "George"
wrote:

Looks like you're posting through Google rather than using a reader,
so I would suggest the normal Windows functions of highlight, cut and
paste. There's a Mac equivalent, but I'm out of the classroom for so
long I've forgotten.

George it is the same for a Mac. Remember Windows was copied from the
Mac Graphic User Interface (GUI)

Which was copied from Xerox! No wonder Windows is sooo bad, it's a copy of
a copy. )

and so most of the Keyboard functions
are exactly the same. Just that Macs do it better :-)

I heard it all came from Geos.

It ain't a computer unless the first thing on the screen is A:\

Yes, I'm going through google (as George noted), is there a better
way to access the group? I read you response, hit "reply" at the
bottom of your post, then I get a small box to type in. I highlight,
cut, hit delete, hit backspace, nothing works outside this little box.
I'd bet there's a setting for how I'm reading the group so I get it in
a different format, have searched everywhere, can't find it.

Any suggestions, anyone? I really don't like it when a complete
post gets re-posted in a response.

George

wrote in message
ups.com...

Yes, I'm going through google (as George noted), is there a better
way to access the group? I read you response, hit "reply" at the
bottom of your post, then I get a small box to type in. I highlight,
cut, hit delete, hit backspace, nothing works outside this little box.
I'd bet there's a setting for how I'm reading the group so I get it in
a different format, have searched everywhere, can't find it.

Any suggestions, anyone? I really don't like it when a complete
post gets re-posted in a response.

Pay-to-play types of places, and others like
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/index.html of course, but check first with
your Internet Service Provider to see if they provide access to usenet. If
your Yahoo e-mail means Yahoo is your ISP, I believe they dropped usenet
access. If not Yahoo, try to use your newsreader to set up an account with
the name: news.(your ISP).net,com, etc.

Example frontiernet is your ISP : news.frontiernet.net

There's even a freebie over in Germany that some folks use, perhaps others
can come up with it.

Martin Rost

"George" wrote in message
Pay-to-play types of places, and others like
http://www.usenet-replayer.com/index.html of course, but check first with
your Internet Service Provider to see if they provide access to usenet.

If
your Yahoo e-mail means Yahoo is your ISP, I believe they dropped usenet
access. If not Yahoo, try to use your newsreader to set up an account

with
the name: news.(your ISP).net,com, etc.

Example frontiernet is your ISP : news.frontiernet.net

There's even a freebie over in Germany that some folks use, perhaps others
can come up with it.

George,
That freebie place in Germany was news.individual.net, but they went over
to a pay system about a month ago. There is a freebie place in Italy,
news.aioe.org, but they don't seem to be as reliable. I have trouble with
downloads from them.
Martin

Owen, I have WindowsXP and I'm on cable and use Internet Explorer.
Does that mean anything to you?

Owen Lowe

In article .com,
wrote:

Owen, I have WindowsXP and I'm on cable and use Internet Explorer.
Does that mean anything to you?

Kindasorta. I'm not on cable so don't really know how that service works
in any detail. Here's a link to Comcast's (our local cable service) FAQs
on newsgroups. Perhaps your provider has a similar page so that you can
find out if they offer newsgroup access and how to configure a
newsreader.

http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/Faq2_200_0.html

Folks on Windows seem to generally use Outlook Express. Being on a Mac,
I can't offer any suggestions for specific newsgroup readers for you. I
assume they all work similarly though - I start my reader program and it
automatically checks for new groups and then will retrieve the
information to display how many new messages are on the newsgroups I
"subscribe" to. Subscribing is just a term meaning, in this case, that
you want to follow and track the postings to specific groups (my ISP
carries 31,202 groups at last count) - there's no money involved. Once
it has determined that there are, say 50 new and unread messages in one
group; 725 in another; and 198 in the last, I double click the group I
want to read. My reader then downloads all the new and unread message
headers that have posted since I last checked in and downloaded the
group. I see all the subject lines and replies to each on one "page" and
it's then just a matter of skimming through the subjects and authors and
2x-clicking the new postings and replies that I'm interested in. The
message then opens in a new window and I navigate up or down the thread
using arrow keys or the keyboard commands. When I've read all that
interest me I mark the unread messages as "read" so they don't get
pulled the next time I check the groups - unless I just want to hold off
on reading something due to lack of time or energy, in which case I
leave it marked "unread" so that it reappears in a future visit.

When I want to reply to something I merely highlight the text I'm
addressing and hit the reply button/command and it automatically copies
and pastes the text into my reply. Making a new posting is very much
like composing and sending an email though it's all done through the
newsreader.

I think that's about the gist of it - there are a bunch of other
features to readers like filters and setting different "personalities"
to post under (for example I only use my real name here - in the other
groups I post semi-anonymously but it is traceable if someone wanted to
ID me). One can also choose to reply to the group or by private email or
both. It's all pretty simple and probably sounds more complicated than
it really is.

Reading the groups by way of a newsreader is much faster than going
through Google - there are no ads or graphics to download with each
message. The page of subjects is one long (or short) listing so there's
no navigating from one page of subjects and replies to the next. One of
the reasons I don't participate in other forums like Woodcentral or WoW
is the cumbersome navigation of subject and message threading along with
page reloading through my dial-up connection. Usenet through a
newsreader is no-frills messaging and nothing but messaging. Another
consideration is that, as I recall, Google doesn't carry any of the
binary groups and there are 2 woodworking related binary newsgroups that
I check.

Does all this help or just muddy the water?

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm
George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Owen, I have WindowsXP and I'm on cable and use Internet Explorer.
Does that mean anything to you?

Kindasorta. I'm not on cable so don't really know how that service works
in any detail. Here's a link to Comcast's (our local cable service) FAQs
on newsgroups. Perhaps your provider has a similar page so that you can
find out if they offer newsgroup access and how to configure a
newsreader.

http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/Faq2_200_0.html

Folks on Windows seem to generally use Outlook Express. Being on a Mac,
I can't offer any suggestions for specific newsgroup readers for you. I
assume they all work similarly though.

I'm guessing your heart is in the right place, but Outlook Express is
less than half a step better than using Google. I use Forte Agent,
which has a free version as well as the full version availible for
download at http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php, though others use
Newsrover, Xnews and similar programs. Any of them will work much
better than Outlook.

All of which scores points, but doesn't get Ruth closer.

With cable, Ruth, your provider is the cable company, so call them and ask
if they have access to "Usenet" or "news groups" available on their server.
Or you could take the shot in the dark I mentioned earlier. Say it's
Comcast, and you're using what you have. Sequence goes Tools / Accounts /
News / Add - then follow the "wizard," server is "news.Comcast.net."

If you don't have them, what chip or revision or reader is moot.

The best reader is the one _you_ know how to use.