Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

Poppin Fresh wrote:
"John" wrote

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple
search for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am
saying is that when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is
the main one that it bothers. If she were to slip and fall on
slippery leaves that have taken over her walk way one might look at
this in a different light. She still drives her car and still likes
to get around without having to deal with what otherwise would be
nothing and I still have to find a way to make everyone happy.

Oh friggin great! Some old bat can't even walk, and you let her
behind the wheel.

If you really care anything about her, it's time to take the keys
away. But, since you don't have any balls, I doubt that will happen.

LOL

You are truley one pathetic assHat. Good luck with that. I bet she can kick
your stupid ass. She sure has more brains. Wahahahaha..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know? John

Simple solution:

Move the MIL into your house.

You'll soon forget about the leaf problem and likely wish you'd
never been born. G

Jeff

eg

I will continue to drive 50 miles just to rake leaves thank you very
much. Maybe I will leave her a laptop and this thread to continue on
her own. She will most likely be around to rake the leaves from atop
my final resting place.

John.

With the amount of time you have devoted to this idiocy just this
afternoon, you could have raked the whole yard. It's just LEAVES for
doG's sake. Dude, get some help. Seriously.

You seem to be a bit overly concerned. What is your problem other than being
a troll?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:15:49 -0400, "John"
wrote:

This was
more of a hypothetical query than anything. I am happy that so many found
this thread entertaining and compelled to respond.

So, stop touching yourself and get back to raking leaves.

What you got here was free.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
. ..
Rocinante wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:55:14 -0400, John wrote:

Rocinante wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because
they "belong" to you.

However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or
verbal consent from him. You are improving your own property, why
should he have to pay for it?

Because they are a nuisance and the cause of distribution of unwanted
litter. Just like a mud slide that caused dirt or anything else to
end up on my land. Just like a car rolling down a hill I can have it
removed and charge him for the tow. Why not?

You missed the point. They are your branches, so you bear the cost of
removing them.

I got the point if indeed this is the case in that community. If there
were a branch to fall from that tree onto a car in the driveway and cause
damage maybe they would not be my branches. That is my point. Maybe there
is a cutoff as to how much of a nuisance the issue is. If there is one
small tree or there are 6 there is definitely a big difference. At some
point anyone would get tired of cleaning the yard and maybe just decide to
let one basket full turn into several. Like I stated it is to a point
where when wet they are a hazard.

Maybe maybe maybe maybe.

Tomorrow is Monday. Is it safe to assume you will call the town office,
eliminate maybe, and let us know what you found out?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "John" wrote:

I don't think you have even been paying attention and have not reviewed
anything. I do not live there and am trying to take care of an old lady.

That wasn't in your original post. Check the timestamps -- you hadn't said
anything at all about that when I first posted, but you *had* said plenty to
convince me that you're the kind of person who shouldn't have any neighbors.

Maybe you are not capable of understanding the facts.

And obviously you are not capable of *stating* all the facts at the beginning.

I have seen this once
or twice on usenet groups.

Yep, I have too: some obnoxious dickhead comes along asking for advice, then
tells everyone who gives him advice that they're wrong. Possibly you'll
recognize yourself here... but probably you won't.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 4:54 pm, "John" wrote:
wrote:
I called
my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut
down and split the cost with him.

As I did mention all attempts I have made have fallen on deafness.
I don't think the guy will remove 6 trees or even allow them to be
removed I am happy to learn that you have a nice guy living next to
you.

The point I was trying to get across is maybe it isn't the message,
it's your delivery method. It ended up costing my neighbor $2200 to
remove 3 large oak trees that were covering my house. He doesn't even
live next door to me. It's an empty lot. I approached him, and
stated the problem and offered him a solution that I was willing to
help him pay part of the cost. Fortunately for me he paid the entire
bill. I'm a nice guy too, but if you came to me like you are coming
across in this news group there is NO way I would want to work with
you either.

I am happy to find that you think you speak for every other poster. I got
your point but you somehow have not gotten mine. You have dealt with someone
that responded to you. It has not been the case with me even if some think
that I send him threatening mail when all I did was ask for him to speak
with me about the issue.

You obviously don't get the point at all. In every jurisdiction I've
ever heard of, the neighbor HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY to do anything about
healthy tree limbs that hang over the property line. No one said you
sent the neighbor threatening mail. But did you go over and try to
talk to the neighbor instead of sending mail asking him to do
something about that which he is not reponsible for? You didn't
understand the law or common practice, yet assumed that somehow it's
the neighbors issue. You were wrong.

It would be like someone across the street sending me a letter to pay
for body damage on their car, because they skidded on leaves in the
street from my tree while backing out of their driveway and hit
something. Do you think I'd respond favorably, or even at all, if I
got that kind of letter in the mail?

It seems that many on this group are happy to react
in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was
assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.- Hide quoted text -

And sending letters to neighbors to fix a problem that isn't theirs to
begin with is positive? I'd say positive would be figuring out if
the trees are attractive, add value to YOUR property, sheild you from
a neighbor that you don't get along with, provide shade, and that even
if you trim them, you're still going to have lots of leaves, etc.
BTW, in my experience, a few wet leaves are more dangerous as far as
slipping than a pile 3 inchs thick. So, I fail to see how removing
some limbs are going to make a positive impact if that is your main
concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
Norminn wrote:

clipped

mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am
being ignored. I only get ****ed when I am in the middle of raking
and think of dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with
some dog crap just to make my point.

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread
beyond the property line ) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot
in the desert.

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that there
are more than a few that would choose to run away and hide rather than face
things straight on. Do you even vote at election time or are you at that
place in the sand?

It isn't realistic to expect a lawn with trees nearby to be free of
leaves, especially at this time of year. And it is a very bad reason to
risk alienating a neighbor. You might be happier either using a
mulching mower with a pickup, or blow leaves onto a tarp and dispose of
them. Leaf blower is easier than raking, but raking is good exercise if
you have a healthy back ) You might also consider changing your
landscape to be leaf friendly - plant a bank of shrubs and just blow the
leaves into the shrub area for mulch. Azaleas love oak leaves. Other
acid loving shrubs, like rhododendron, might be a good choice and it
makes a good place for leaves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that
there are more than a few that would choose to run away and hide
rather than face things straight on. Do you even vote at election
time or are you at that place in the sand?

Trees shed leaves. Dogs get fleas. Cats kill birds. Grass needs to be mowed.
It gets dark at night. Rain comes down. Children skin their knees. Babies
cry. Coyotes howl. The tide comes in and goes out.

It's the FREAKIN' world!

They are YOUR leaves and HIS tree.

Get used to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
..

The desert WILL not help. A wind storm last night blew about five
gallons of leaves into my pool. All from the neighbor's trees :-))

I cleaned the pump basket yesterday and the thing is clogged today!

Send letters to the neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 6:41 pm, "John" wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 20, 5:59 pm, "John" wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Call your city, town, or village offices and ask what is legal in your
area. Duh. Why on earth would anyone on usenet know the laws of your
town?

The really stupid ones don't even know when they are being played with. I
already know where you fit in this thread. I never pretended to take usenet
all that serious but you sure seem to.

Hmm, and here I was thinking I was offering you some useful advice,
since you did ask for some. Wow. Have you done ANYTHING else today
except post on this thread. Get a life, dude. PLONK!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:22:36 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Oren wrote:
.

The desert WILL not help. A wind storm last night blew about five
gallons of leaves into my pool. All from the neighbor's trees :-))

I cleaned the pump basket yesterday and the thing is clogged today!

Send letters to the neighbors.

It won't work, we were all next door at the other neighbor's party.

But I do cut their branches now and then :-/

--
Oren

"Painting is the art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather and exposing them to the critics."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
. ..
Norminn wrote:
clipped
mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am
being ignored. I only get ****ed when I am in the middle of raking
and think of dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with
some dog crap just to make my point.

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread
beyond the property line ) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot
in the desert.

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that there are
more than a few that would choose to run away and hide rather than face things
straight on. Do you even vote at election time or are you at that place in the
sand?

It's not just the leaves. When the tree falls on your house, it's your problem,
not his. Your insurance will have to pay for the damage.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
Larry wrote:
"John" wrote

I have been the only house on my street that has a littered lawn and
driveway. The cars get covered and when it rains they are very
slippery. They get tracked inside and are an all around nuisance.

It must suck, to have leaves attack you. I wonder why nature just
picks on your property.

You better just haul all your neighbors in front of Judge Judy, and
be done with it.

It's a miracle, nobody has put you out of your misery yet.

There are six trees and I have been removing these leaves for many years. It
is finally getting to be a bit much. When your tires spin when they get wet
because the driveway is covered and you have to be careful when you walk so
you don't slip and your cars get covered with stains it is time to have
something done. Maybe if you had a house and not a tin can in a trailer park
you might have a clue.

Make your neighbor a very generous offer of money, and he might decide to remove
the trees. Otherwise, there is little hope for you. That's life.

Or, you could decide that leaves make very good compost for your garden, and
feel rich, like many in the gardening groups.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote in message
. ..
aemeijers wrote:
John wrote:
Rocinante wrote:
[...]

Get a grip, dude. They are LEAVES, not radioactive fallout. Don't your
leaves blow into the downwind neighbor's yard? Do you go collect
them? I get a big dose of leaves (and branches) from my upwind
neighbors tree just over the lot line, and his tree screws up my satt
signal as well. Guess what- that is part of living in a subdivision.
At least his dog is mostly quiet.

The only cure to 'neighbor leaves' is to have a lot big enough that it
isn't an issue, because your own stand of trees catches them all.

Let the leaves set until the tree is bare, and just clear them all at
once. The yard will be fine.

aem sends...

Get a clue 'DUDE.' There are no leaves blowing from my yard onto anyone
else's property. I do not have trees planted close enough to any neighbors
land. The guy doesn't even mow his lawn and the place looks like a slum. Maybe
if you didn't have your head up your ass you might imagine others have the
same problems with this 'DUDE' in that run down barn he lives in. Try not to
use that imagination and assume anything you are not told and you might not
have so much trouble processing thoughts properly.

You are totally clueless. What you are dealing with is reality. Your neighbor
has no legal responsibility for leaves that fall in your yard - by law. You have
no case. Get over it.

If your thoughts were law, every tree in the city would have to be cut down.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"John" wrote:

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less.

I think those leaves have gotten to you, John. And I think that if you
cut all the overhanging branches three things are going to happen:

1) you're going to have some ugly m.f. trees to look at

2) you're gonna have one angry m.f. of a neighbor

3) the leaf reduction in your yard will be about 5%

And a few years later, since the upper branches will grow faster after pruning,
the problem will be worse.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

It seems that many on this group are happy to react

in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was
assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.- Hide quoted text -

And sending letters to neighbors to fix a problem that isn't theirs to
begin with is positive? I'd say positive would be figuring out if
the trees are attractive, add value to YOUR property, sheild you from
a neighbor that you don't get along with, provide shade, and that even
if you trim them, you're still going to have lots of leaves, etc.
BTW, in my experience, a few wet leaves are more dangerous as far as
slipping than a pile 3 inchs thick. So, I fail to see how removing
some limbs are going to make a positive impact if that is your main
concern.

Actually 3 months earlier another tree on his lot that did NOT hang
over my property fell and hit my house. It damaged the roof and
siding and I didn't even say a word to him about it. My concern was
the three other trees hanging over my house. I WAS AWARE that
anything that hangs over the property line is mine. When I approached
him I asked if he would mind if I Paid to have the trees trimmed that
were hanging over my house OR if he would mind if we split the cost in
half to have them removed. I believe that it WAS due to my approach
( in a non threating manner and giving him option) was why he was
willing to work with me and have the trees removed at his expense. He
didn't have to do anything. I'm sure that if I had approached him
angry and firing bullets about taking care of his #@*! trees, I would
not have gotten the response that I received.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:
KLS wrote:
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:05:13 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It
has been in the family for many decades and is maintained 100%
including the past removal of leaves and branches for some time. I
think it is about time the owners of the trees take some
responsibility but they have refused to respond to such requests.
The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for putting up with
ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently I am
sure. Then again maybe not.- Hide quoted text -
The ignorant one here is not the neighbor, it's you John. You came
in here not knowing anything about the law regarding this issue.
Yet, you're sending letters making demands of your neighbor. Don't
you think you should find out what is right and legal BEFORE you
start telling neighbors what they must do?

Go check with a lawyer. In most areas of the US, you can trim those
branches of the neighbor's tree back to your property line. But the
neighbor is under no obligation to pay for it, nor are they
responsible for dealing with the leaves. Now, you may find
differently in your location. But I'm betting you won't.

Once more with feeling, John: find out if you are legally allowed to
trim the tree limbs to the property line. Like Trader4 says, you
likely are, but really should check first. CAVEAT: you cannot trim
so much that the tree dies as a result.

Ignore your neighbor: he probably has no legal responsibility for
what happens on your property if the law allows you to trim the limbs.
Just trim them yourself and be done with it, if it makes you happy.

But I agree, it probably won't reduce the leaf output a whole lot, so
wouldn't your energies be better spent just managing the leaves?
They're a feature of the property, and if you leave the limbs
(assuming they're not too low), the tree helps the property look even
better, which will make it easier to sell when the mother-in-law is
ready to move out. Take the long view. There are worse problems than
this given that your property no doubt looks a lot better than the
neighbor's.

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple search
for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying is that
when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one that it
bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that have taken
over her walk way one might look at this in a different light. She still
drives her car and still likes to get around without having to deal with
what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way to make
everyone happy.

I know it is a lazy Sunday and obviously many have nothing better to do and
I was not anticipating this would grow to a full blown major problem that so
many would feel compelled to offer so many opinions with never personally
having to deal with it themselves.

I first thought you were a troll, since you seem to get some pleasure
from ignoring the good advice already posted and getting into name
calling contests.

First, only a really ignorant person would seek what is is essence legal
advice on usenet. Everyone here is anonymous, and no one has any
discernible credentials to give such advice. You apparently do not
understand that the law varies from place to place, and that what
someone has done in one place legally may, in another place, be contrary
to the law. Even the old common law advice that you can do anything to
anything within your airspace is no longer reliable, as many
jurisdictions now have restrictions, particularly on trimming or
removing trees. The best advice you have received and ignored is to
contact your local authorities to find out what you can do; contacting a
competent lawyer would be even better, as the local authorities are
often not well educated and simply tell you what their books say you can
or cannot do; their books may, of course, not agree with the law, but
they would no know that.

You have been, if I read this thread accurately, somewhat dishonest when
you describe this as your property; now you seem to say that it is your
mother-in-law's property. Which is it? If it is hers then you are not
the owner and have no rights to do anything, which may be why no one
responds to your correspondence. Let me say that again, as you appear
intent on not getting anything that doesn't agree with your
preconceptions. If you are not the owner of the property, you have no
rights to do anything to the property. If you have been retained by the
owner, that is something else, but you don't give any indication that
you are anything but a relative helping her out.
I suspect you won't do anything to resolve this alleged problem,
but will just continue babbling until usenet goes out of existence, so I
am placing you on auto-flush, hoping to never again see your postings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

My neighbors trees hang over to my property too. I cut all branches
that get in my way during mowing. The trees on my property get cut
all the way back to the trunk. The trees on any neighbor's property
get cut back to the property line (or plane). I know that some local
governments (or associations) require permission to cut any tree, on
your property or not. Rake your leaves once a week, make a compost
pile. If you hate raking, a backpack blower may make your life a
little easier. In any event, not good idea to **** off a neighbor.

Actually I am trying to get the ol' lady to stop some of the yard work she
does. Many times I have arrived to see her gathering branches and dragging
them to the other side of the yard. There will come a time when we will be
there 24/7 to see that she behaves herself bless her soul.- Hide quoted text -

AT the risk of starting another flaming long thread, I can't help but
wonder what the issue is with the old lady doing some yard work? My
grandfather and grandmother raked leaves and took care of a large
property that they lived on well into their 80s. Ronald Regan was
chopping wood, clearing brush, and building fences into his 80s as
well. It's widely recognized that regular excercise is good for
anyone, as long as they don't over do it. If your big leaf problem
with the neighbor is an area 100 X 30 and a little old lady raked a
bit of it each day, she'd get some excercise and the leaf problem goes
away.

Does she have some medical problem that a Dr says makes modest
excercise unhealthy? Or is you wanting her to stop doing yard work
just a control issue?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeyBub, SnaMan wrote:
Haha

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...es-259799-.htm

Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree? Mike O Home Repair 26 August 20th 18 08:51 PM
Trees and Neighbors RichK Home Repair 7 April 29th 06 03:54 AM
Musing about corks, old friends and olive branches Arch Woodturning 28 June 26th 05 11:52 AM
How to correctly split knots in branches for turning vodacekt Woodturning 1 March 7th 05 01:24 AM
What to do about bad neighbors mediate Home Ownership 0 January 27th 05 11:13 PM