Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
h wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
news:0amdnfVRSqig54fanZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@comcast .com...
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones
that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless
letters asking him to do something but have got no response.
What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

I don't know. Do you want to know what the weather is expected to
be like HERE tomorrow? It's the same about property law.

It all depends on where you live. Go down to city hall and ask. I
could tell you what we do here, and what I would do, but that
might not plug into your equation and where YOU are. It might
buy you a boatload of trouble where you are.

Steve

I thought someone might have had the same problem so I posed this
question. I see it is a bit much for some to handle.

In your post, you did not give a location, so how could anyone from
your area give you pertinent advice? So, what's your next step? Ask and
take advice on what to do from someone who is a thousand
miles away, and whose advice could end you up in jail or court?

It's not too much to handle. Get some pertinent local advice,
either from your local authorities, or an attorney in your area.

Are you looking for the right and correct thing to do that will
solve your problem and expose you to the least amount of liability,
or for the Dirty Harry approach?

If you're looking for the Dirty Harry approach, just shoot his car
and set fire to his dog. That should get the ball moving.

Steve

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing
more nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in
other parts of the country have much to do with what can be done
anywhere. The idea that this issue is to much to handle is obvious
in a few posts and not to be unexpected on any usenet group. If I
wanted to make a full blown legal issue out if it I am sure a court
would take into consideration what others are doing in such cases. (I did
not cross post to any gun groups)

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning
property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with
others.

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It has been
in the family for many decades and is maintained 100% including the past
removal of leaves and branches for some time. I think it is about time the
owners of the trees take some responsibility but they have refused to
respond to such requests. The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for
putting up with ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently
I am sure. Then again maybe not.- Hide quoted text -

The ignorant one here is not the neighbor, it's you John. You came
in here not knowing anything about the law regarding this issue.
Yet, you're sending letters making demands of your neighbor. Don't
you think you should find out what is right and legal BEFORE you start
telling neighbors what they must do?

Go check with a lawyer. In most areas of the US, you can trim those
branches of the neighbor's tree back to your property line. But the
neighbor is under no obligation to pay for it, nor are they
responsible for dealing with the leaves. Now, you may find
differently in your location. But I'm betting you won't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
John wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want
them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang
over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking
him to do something but have got no response. What are my options in
the matter does anyone know?

Legal, schmegal. You may have the right to trim the trees but you're
leaving yourself open to guerilla retaliation.

You say you're not at this location for much of the year. How'd you
like to come back to find the place burned down, or condemned because
of rat infestation, or confiscated because pot was growing in the
back yard or even covered with graffiti?

You never know what will happen when you **** off a neighbor.

He's sitting over there, 24 hours a day, planning and scheming and
devising.

He would have to deal with an angry 80 year old woman that can still wave a
broom and a rake. I would not recommend anyone be so foolish. She takes
better care of the yard then he takes care of his and is most likely in
better shape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "John"
wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill?

Of course. The tree guy is going to send the bill to you, because you
hired
him. You're perfectly free to send the bill to your neighbor. And he's
perfectly free to ignore it, too. And depending on what the law is
wherever
you are, you may be facing a civil action, or possibly even
misdemeanor
criminal charges, for trimming a tree that doesn't belong to you.

I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place
where you
have trees. Or neighbors.

Maybe you might like to review the thread before you feel qualified to
offer advice. No drive-by comments taken seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in other parts
of the country have much to do with what can be done anywhere. The idea
that this issue is to much to handle is obvious in a few posts and not to
be unexpected on any usenet group. If I wanted to make a full blown legal
issue out if it I am sure a court would take into consideration what
others are doing in such cases. (I did not cross post to any gun groups)

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning
property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with others.

Reread what he posted. He maintains his property and the neighbor could
care less about even cutting their grass. So it would seem that the
leaves are just the tip of the iceberg. If someone lives in an urban
environment they agree to be like the others in the area including
maintaining their surroundings. The neighbor is the one who doesn't know
how to play well with others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 10:13 am, George wrote:
h wrote:
Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing more
nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in other parts
of the country have much to do with what can be done anywhere. The idea
that this issue is to much to handle is obvious in a few posts and not to
be unexpected on any usenet group. If I wanted to make a full blown legal
issue out if it I am sure a court would take into consideration what
others are doing in such cases. (I did not cross post to any gun groups)

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning
property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with others.

Reread what he posted.

This is what he posted:

"My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.
Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him
the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something
but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John "

He maintains his property and the neighbor could
care less about even cutting their grass. So it would seem that the
leaves are just the tip of the iceberg.

If someone lives in an urban
environment they agree to be like the others in the area including
maintaining their surroundings.

Oh, really, is that how it works in your area? Is that a new law?
Did you sign such an agreement when you bought your house? If I buy
a house and the neighborhood happens to be overwhelmingly Protestant,
must I convert? Or the neighbors let their 5 year olds play in the
middle of the street. Must I do that too? If I'm balck and move
into a white neighborhood, well, I guess that would be a real tough
one.

The neighbor is the one who doesn't know
how to play well with others.

Before deciding who is right and who is wrong, you better go check the
law, instead of making an ass of yourself like the OP. This isn't
anything new and has been settled for hundreds of years. Some areas
could have differing laws, but for most of the US you'll almost
certainly find:

1 - The leaves are considered part of nature, can blow anywhere and
the neighbor isn't responsible for cleaning them off the OP's yard or
for trimming the overhanging branches.

2 - If the OP wants to trim the branches back, he can to the property
line, at his own expense. Whether that makes any sense to do is an
entirely different question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I called
my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut down
and split the cost with him.

As I did mention all attempts I have made have fallen on deafness.
I don't think the guy will remove 6 trees or even allow them to be removed
I am happy to learn that you have a nice guy living next to you.

The point I was trying to get across is maybe it isn't the message,
it's your delivery method. It ended up costing my neighbor $2200 to
remove 3 large oak trees that were covering my house. He doesn't even
live next door to me. It's an empty lot. I approached him, and
stated the problem and offered him a solution that I was willing to
help him pay part of the cost. Fortunately for me he paid the entire
bill. I'm a nice guy too, but if you came to me like you are coming
across in this news group there is NO way I would want to work with
you either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:05:13 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
[...]

Once more with feeling, John: find out if you are legally allowed to
trim the tree limbs to the property line. Like Trader4 says, you
likely are, but really should check first. CAVEAT: you cannot trim
so much that the tree dies as a result.

Ignore your neighbor: he probably has no legal responsibility for
what happens on your property if the law allows you to trim the limbs.
Just trim them yourself and be done with it, if it makes you happy.

But I agree, it probably won't reduce the leaf output a whole lot, so
wouldn't your energies be better spent just managing the leaves?
They're a feature of the property, and if you leave the limbs
(assuming they're not too low), the tree helps the property look even
better, which will make it easier to sell when the mother-in-law is
ready to move out. Take the long view. There are worse problems than
this given that your property no doubt looks a lot better than the
neighbor's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 10:45 am, George wrote:
wrote:

He maintains his property and the neighbor could
care less about even cutting their grass. So it would seem that the
leaves are just the tip of the iceberg.

If someone lives in an urban
environment they agree to be like the others in the area including
maintaining their surroundings.

Oh, really, is that how it works in your area? Is that a new law?
Did you sign such an agreement when you bought your house? If I buy
a house and the neighborhood happens to be overwhelmingly Protestant,
must I convert? Or the neighbors let their 5 year olds play in the
middle of the street. Must I do that too? If I'm balck and move
into a white neighborhood, well, I guess that would be a real tough
one.

You know exactly what I meant and are just presenting an specious
argument trying to discredit what I wrote.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I know exactly what you meant. If I was your neighbor, you'd
expect me to come over and clean off the leaves from my trees that
wind up on your lawn, because you're clueless both about the law and
common practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in
my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but
have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

Any part of the tree that is on your property is yours to do as you
please.

And can be day one of a war with your neighbor. I've had some nice
neighbors and some bonehead neighbors. Sometimes the best thing is to try
to work things out and keep them as friends, and then if that doesn't work
just fire up the chain saw and cut six inches OVER the property line on your
property so there's no doubt and you don't get HIS tree limbs.

Warring with neighbors can be fun.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Best to come to an accord with your neighbor without resorting to law.
However, if you must, you should check out:

Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise
http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/Obje...F1EE6E6B3/213/

Also, your local laws may differ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John .. give it up and enjoy the experience.

Neighbors who start this type of discussion are likely the ones who
don't do squat on their own property. You are not one of those are you?

Enjoy the tree and the beauty.

"John" wrote in message
. ..
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in
my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone.
Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him
the bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something
but have got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone
know?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:55:14 -0400, John wrote:

Rocinante wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or
verbal consent from him. You are improving your own property, why
should he have to pay for it?

Because they are a nuisance and the cause of distribution of unwanted
litter. Just like a mud slide that caused dirt or anything else to end up on
my land. Just like a car rolling down a hill I can have it removed and
charge him for the tow. Why not?

You missed the point. They are your branches, so you bear the cost of
removing them.

--
"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they
have to say something."

10/21/2007 4:17:50 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Simple solution:

Move the MIL into your house.

You'll soon forget about the leaf problem and likely wish you'd never
been born. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocinante wrote:
[...]

I got the point if indeed this is the case in that community. If there were
a branch to fall from that tree onto a car in the driveway and cause damage
maybe they would not be my branches. That is my point. Maybe there is a
cutoff as to how much of a nuisance the issue is. If there is one small tree
or there are 6 there is definitely a big difference. At some point anyone
would get tired of cleaning the yard and maybe just decide to let one basket
full turn into several. Like I stated it is to a point where when wet they
are a hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
h wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Where does it say I made any demands fool? You are the one that chooses to
remain ignorant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
[...]

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple search
for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying is that
when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one that it
bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that have taken
over her walk way one might look at this in a different light. She still
drives her car and still likes to get around without having to deal with
what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way to make
everyone happy.

I know it is a lazy Sunday and obviously many have nothing better to do and
I was not anticipating this would grow to a full blown major problem that so
many would feel compelled to offer so many opinions with never personally
having to deal with it themselves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

h wrote:
Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business
owning property since you are clearly not mature enough to play
well with others.

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It
has been in the family for many decades and is maintained 100%
including the past removal of leaves and branches for some time. I
think it is about time the owners of the trees take some
responsibility but they have refused to respond to such requests.
The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for putting up with
ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently I am
sure. Then again maybe not.

Wow! I'm completely amazed that you found someone to marry you even
with all your OCD ticks!

I don't even think you are capable of keeping up. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 18:59:48 -0400, Rocinante
wrote:

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

True. Just don't kill the tree next door.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

In my area, you trim what is over your own property. I haven't read the
code in a while, but I think there is something that says you cannot
mutilate a tree - cut off all branches on one side, etc. Some
neighborhoods have special historic trees, etc., so be sure that there
isn't some special protection.

Is that the only tree that drops leaves in your yard?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:44:34 -0400, "John"
wrote:
I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple search
for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying is that
when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one that it
bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that have taken
over her walk way one might look at this in a different light. She still
drives her car and still likes to get around without having to deal with
what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way to make
everyone happy.

Honey, suppose it snows, and this little old lady slips and falls? Who
you gonna blame? Hello???

I'm not unsympathetic to your situation as my parents are very close
to your mother-in-law's age. I also understand the parameters here
and work within them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am being
ignored. I only get ****ed when I am in the middle of raking and think of
dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with some dog crap just to
make my point.

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread
beyond the property line ) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot
in the desert.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

My neighbors trees hang over to my property too. I cut all branches
that get in my way during mowing. The trees on my property get cut
all the way back to the trunk. The trees on any neighbor's property
get cut back to the property line (or plane). I know that some local
governments (or associations) require permission to cut any tree, on
your property or not. Rake your leaves once a week, make a compost
pile. If you hate raking, a backpack blower may make your life a
little easier. In any event, not good idea to **** off a neighbor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I am happy to find that you think you speak for every other poster. I got
your point but you somehow have not gotten mine. You have dealt with someone
that responded to you. It has not been the case with me even if some think
that I send him threatening mail when all I did was ask for him to speak
with me about the issue. It seems that many on this group are happy to react
in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was
assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Oct 21, 8:45 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "John"
wrote:
[...]

Regards,

In most areas of the US, you have the right to trim overhanging
branches of a tree that is located on your neighbor's property back to
the property line. But you do it at your own expense, unless the
neighbor chooses to help pay for it. To be sure legally, you should
consult a local lawyer, as some municipalities may have differing
laws.

As others have pointed out, there are other considerations. One
would be what will it look like after it's trimmed back? It could
very well make your house worth less, because now it looks like
hell. How much difference will it make? If you have to blow leaves
anyway, and it only reduces it by 25%, is it worth it? Are there any
plusses to these branches, like providing shade in the summer, or
blocking your view of you neighbor giving you the finger? Is it
worth likely getting into a ****ing match with the neighbor over
this? And how much are you willing to spend? To have tree guys
trim significant branches back on 6 large trees isn;t going to be
cheap.

You say you sent him countless letters, but did you first go over and
try to talk to him? The two things I can tell you for sure a

1 - If you didn't try to talk to the neighbor first, that was a big
mistake

2 - It's never the responsibility of the neighbor to trim branches
that overhang your property unless there is a safety issue, ie, the
tree is dying, the branches are rotten, could fall on your fence,
house, etc.

I have never been able to find anyone around and have send letters only
after trying to contact him first. I simply stated I wanted to discuss his
trees that over hang the old ladies driveway in a polite manner. I asked if
he had time would he look for her when she is around and mention that she
want to speak with him and ask what he could do. I never mentioned cutting
his trees or anything about any legal action. All was done in a civil
neighborly way. The house was vacant for quite some time and now I see
someone is living there. I don't intend to make anyone hostile or start any
wars.

There are city by laws that regulate the proper upkeep of land by the owner
but I have not found it necessary to contact anyone other than the wisemen
of usenet. I told the ol' lady to call the city but she has not done so.
Maybe I can convince her to do that soon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "John" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "John"
wrote:
[...]

It's precisely *because* I reviewed the thread that I offered the advice I
did: Move to the desert. You're obviously unsuited for life in any place that
has trees. Or neighbors. And I'm glad you're not one of mine.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

M Q wrote:
John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know? John

Best to come to an accord with your neighbor without resorting to law.
However, if you must, you should check out:

Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries & Noise
http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/Obje...F1EE6E6B3/213/

Also, your local laws may differ.

Thanks. Excellent link.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jacque Asse wrote:
John .. give it up and enjoy the experience.

Neighbors who start this type of discussion are likely the ones
who don't do squat on their own property. You are not one of those
are you?
Enjoy the tree and the beauty.

Like I stated. It is more of a problem to the mother-in-law who has to deal
with it directly. For now I will continue to remove them as she directs
until the snow arrives when it will all be over until next year. This was
more of a hypothetical query than anything. I am happy that so many found
this thread entertaining and compelled to respond.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know? John

Simple solution:

Move the MIL into your house.

You'll soon forget about the leaf problem and likely wish you'd never
been born. G

Jeff

eg

I will continue to drive 50 miles just to rake leaves thank you very much.
Maybe I will leave her a laptop and this thread to continue on her own. She
will most likely be around to rake the leaves from atop my final resting
place.

John.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because
they "belong" to you.

True. Just don't kill the tree next door.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

In my area, you trim what is over your own property. I haven't read
the code in a while, but I think there is something that says you
cannot mutilate a tree - cut off all branches on one side, etc. Some
neighborhoods have special historic trees, etc., so be sure that there
isn't some special protection.

Is that the only tree that drops leaves in your yard?

There are 6 large trees that drop leaves. I can remember when they were
very small and the ol' lady never said a word.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple
search for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am
saying is that when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is
the main one that it bothers. If she were to slip and fall on
slippery leaves that have taken over her walk way one might look at
this in a different light. She still drives her car and still likes
to get around without having to deal with what otherwise would be
nothing and I still have to find a way to make everyone happy.

Honey, suppose it snows, and this little old lady slips and falls? Who
you gonna blame? Hello???

I'm not unsympathetic to your situation as my parents are very close
to your mother-in-law's age. I also understand the parameters here
and work within them.

Snow is my responsibility unless is comes from the guy next door tossing it
over the fence. My wife and I have always taken good care of her and always
will and I am only reacting to her point. If she slips on snow I don't think
it would be the same as something that can be prevented. She mentioned that
she would love to remove them herself jokingly. Feisty lady that she is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "John"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "John"
wrote:
[...]

I don't think you have even been paying attention and have not reviewed
anything. I do not live there and am trying to take care of an old lady.
Maybe you are not capable of understanding the facts. I have seen this once
or twice on usenet groups. You offer no surprises with your post.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually I am trying to get the ol' lady to stop some of the yard work she
does. Many times I have arrived to see her gathering branches and dragging
them to the other side of the yard. There will come a time when we will be
there 24/7 to see that she behaves herself bless her soul.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
clipped
mail box and several actually delivered by the US Mail I assume I am
being ignored. I only get ****ed when I am in the middle of raking
and think of dropping the leaves off on his front steps along with
some dog crap just to make my point.

It would be a darn strange looking neighborhood if no trees spread
beyond the property line ) If the leaves bug you so much, buy a lot
in the desert.

Where is all this land you guys seem reoccupied with? It seems that there
are more than a few that would choose to run away and hide rather than face
things straight on. Do you even vote at election time or are you at that
place in the sand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 5:59 pm, "John" wrote:
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves fall in my
yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I want them gone. Can I
have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that hang over and send him the
bill? I have sent him countless letters asking him to do something but have
got no response. What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

Call your city, town, or village offices and ask what is legal in your
area. Duh. Why on earth would anyone on usenet know the laws of your
town?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow! I'm completely amazed that you found someone to marry you even
with all your OCD ticks!

I don't even think you are capable of keeping up. Good luck.-

And that means what??? You need professional help. If you feel
compelled to rake the leaves every hour to "get them all" then you
have OCD and need treatment, perhaps medication. Get to a doctor
pronto, buddy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote

I am not and never was trying to make a federal case of this simple
search for clues as to how others have dealt with this. All I am saying
is that when I am unable to attend to this the old lady is the main one
that it bothers. If she were to slip and fall on slippery leaves that
have taken over her walk way one might look at this in a different light.
She still drives her car and still likes to get around without having to
deal with what otherwise would be nothing and I still have to find a way
to make everyone happy.

Oh friggin great! Some old bat can't even walk, and you let her behind the
wheel.

If you really care anything about her, it's time to take the keys away.
But, since you don't have any balls, I doubt that will happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rocinante wrote:
[...]

are a hazard.- Hide quoted text -

If there were a branch to fall from that tree onto a car in the
driveway and cause damage maybe they would not be my branches. That is
my point.

Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me! I know the answer!

They are "your" branches in that *your* insurance company would cover
the damage as a not-your-fault incident. At least that's how it was
with me...

I was in my backyard when I started to hear a creek, creek, *crack*. I
looked up to see a very large branch from a neighbor's tree just
beginning its journey downward onto my roof and deck.

This branch (as well as many others) has been hanging over my house
and yard for years. I was never concerned about the leaves, but have
annually trimmed back any branches that could have come in contact
with my roof, and also those that get too large to look nice.

Anyway, the house next door is currently a rental, so I called the
landlord since the branch was still hung up in his tree and also
resting on my roof and deck. I very politely let him know that I was
going to call my insurance company unless he had another suggestion.
He asked if he could come over and take a look before I put in the
claim and I agreed, cuz that's what good neighbors do.

He came over, agreed that it was too big for either of us to handle,
and asked if I had to pay any deductible. I told him I would let him
know and when it was all cleaned up and taken care of, he gave me a
check to cover the deductible for the inconvenience his tree had
caused.

I believe, based on some phone calls I got from my insurance company
afterwards, that my company went after his to recover the costs, but
that's between them, not me and him.

Bottom line: Yes they are your branches to deal with, on the tree or
on your car. ...in most locations that is...

Not sure if anyone has suggested this before...but perhaps you should
contact your local authorities for the rules where these particular
leaves are. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Rocinante wrote:
[...]

a hazard.- Hide quoted text -

[...]

That was plan 'B' but knowing the real answers are posted on Usenet I
decided to get them first so I can tell the authorities just why I have not
moved to the desert. It must be really crowded there learning how many find
that the place to go when they don't know what else to do.

LOL

Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree? Mike O Home Repair 26 August 20th 18 08:51 PM
Trees and Neighbors RichK Home Repair 7 April 29th 06 03:54 AM
Musing about corks, old friends and olive branches Arch Woodturning 28 June 26th 05 11:52 AM
How to correctly split knots in branches for turning vodacekt Woodturning 1 March 7th 05 01:24 AM
What to do about bad neighbors mediate Home Ownership 0 January 27th 05 11:13 PM