Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

On Oct 21, 9:57 am, "John" wrote:
h wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"John" wrote in message
news:0amdnfVRSqig54fanZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d@comcast .com...
My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones
that hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless
letters asking him to do something but have got no response.
What are my options in the matter does anyone know?

John

I don't know. Do you want to know what the weather is expected to
be like HERE tomorrow? It's the same about property law.

It all depends on where you live. Go down to city hall and ask. I
could tell you what we do here, and what I would do, but that
might not plug into your equation and where YOU are. It might
buy you a boatload of trouble where you are.

Steve

I thought someone might have had the same problem so I posed this
question. I see it is a bit much for some to handle.

In your post, you did not give a location, so how could anyone from
your area give you pertinent advice? So, what's your next step? Ask and
take advice on what to do from someone who is a thousand
miles away, and whose advice could end you up in jail or court?

It's not too much to handle. Get some pertinent local advice,
either from your local authorities, or an attorney in your area.

Are you looking for the right and correct thing to do that will
solve your problem and expose you to the least amount of liability,
or for the Dirty Harry approach?

If you're looking for the Dirty Harry approach, just shoot his car
and set fire to his dog. That should get the ball moving.

Steve

Simply trying to get an idea of what people think on usenet. Nothing
more nothing less. I am sure examples of what others are doing in
other parts of the country have much to do with what can be done
anywhere. The idea that this issue is to much to handle is obvious
in a few posts and not to be unexpected on any usenet group. If I
wanted to make a full blown legal issue out if it I am sure a court
would take into consideration what others are doing in such cases. (I did
not cross post to any gun groups)

Sell the house and move into an apartment. You have no business owning
property since you are clearly not mature enough to play well with
others.

Read other posts where it states the mother-in-law lives there. It has been
in the family for many decades and is maintained 100% including the past
removal of leaves and branches for some time. I think it is about time the
owners of the trees take some responsibility but they have refused to
respond to such requests. The 80 year old lady should be rewarded for
putting up with ignorance. If it were your mother you would feel differently
I am sure. Then again maybe not.- Hide quoted text -

The ignorant one here is not the neighbor, it's you John. You came
in here not knowing anything about the law regarding this issue.
Yet, you're sending letters making demands of your neighbor. Don't
you think you should find out what is right and legal BEFORE you start
telling neighbors what they must do?

Go check with a lawyer. In most areas of the US, you can trim those
branches of the neighbor's tree back to your property line. But the
neighbor is under no obligation to pay for it, nor are they
responsible for dealing with the leaves. Now, you may find
differently in your location. But I'm betting you won't.