Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

On Oct 21, 4:54 pm, "John" wrote:
wrote:
I called
my neighbor and asked him if he would mind if I had the trees cut
down and split the cost with him.

As I did mention all attempts I have made have fallen on deafness.
I don't think the guy will remove 6 trees or even allow them to be
removed I am happy to learn that you have a nice guy living next to
you.

The point I was trying to get across is maybe it isn't the message,
it's your delivery method. It ended up costing my neighbor $2200 to
remove 3 large oak trees that were covering my house. He doesn't even
live next door to me. It's an empty lot. I approached him, and
stated the problem and offered him a solution that I was willing to
help him pay part of the cost. Fortunately for me he paid the entire
bill. I'm a nice guy too, but if you came to me like you are coming
across in this news group there is NO way I would want to work with
you either.

I am happy to find that you think you speak for every other poster. I got
your point but you somehow have not gotten mine. You have dealt with someone
that responded to you. It has not been the case with me even if some think
that I send him threatening mail when all I did was ask for him to speak
with me about the issue.

You obviously don't get the point at all. In every jurisdiction I've
ever heard of, the neighbor HAS NO RESPONSIBILITY to do anything about
healthy tree limbs that hang over the property line. No one said you
sent the neighbor threatening mail. But did you go over and try to
talk to the neighbor instead of sending mail asking him to do
something about that which he is not reponsible for? You didn't
understand the law or common practice, yet assumed that somehow it's
the neighbors issue. You were wrong.

It would be like someone across the street sending me a letter to pay
for body damage on their car, because they skidded on leaves in the
street from my tree while backing out of their driveway and hit
something. Do you think I'd respond favorably, or even at all, if I
got that kind of letter in the mail?

It seems that many on this group are happy to react
in the negative rather than give someone the benefit of the doubt. I was
assuming you were the latter but maybe I was wrong.- Hide quoted text -

And sending letters to neighbors to fix a problem that isn't theirs to
begin with is positive? I'd say positive would be figuring out if
the trees are attractive, add value to YOUR property, sheild you from
a neighbor that you don't get along with, provide shade, and that even
if you trim them, you're still going to have lots of leaves, etc.
BTW, in my experience, a few wet leaves are more dangerous as far as
slipping than a pile 3 inchs thick. So, I fail to see how removing
some limbs are going to make a positive impact if that is your main
concern.