Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I cut the branches of my neighbors trees?

"John" wrote in message
Rocinante wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:59:27 -0400, John wrote:

My neighbor has trees that hang all over my fence and more leaves
fall in my yard then in his. I have to rake them every hour if I
want them gone. Can I have a tree guy come in and cut the ones that
hang over and send him the bill? I have sent him countless letters
asking him to do something but have got no response. What are my
options in the matter does anyone know?

John

You can cut the branches on your side without his consent because they
"belong" to you.

However, you cannot also charge him if you do not get written or
verbal consent from him. You are improving your own property, why
should he have to pay for it?

Because they are a nuisance and the cause of distribution of unwanted
litter. Just like a mud slide that caused dirt or anything else to end up
on my land. Just like a car rolling down a hill I can have it removed and
charge him for the tow. Why not?

Because the law is different for trees than for a car that rolls onto your
lawn. It's that simple.