Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Most bike mechanics are folks who are on a waiting list to advance to employment
at Walmart. They aren't usually people who could make it doing much else.

CWM

Fascinating stuff. Enjoy:
http://www.ihpva.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-153295-.htm
eiger3970 wrote:
My first post on here.
What a fascinating, lengthy discussion about WD40 and silicon spray. I'm quite amazed and had to
respond.

I'm still confused and all I want to do is lubricate my driver's seat belt which sticks, rather than
winding itself back in?

My Toyota Corolla Ascent 2003 local wreckers people suggested silicon spray which is a first for
me.
My dad always said to use WD-40, but that was in the stone age before access to a world
knowledge base.

I would really like a definitive list comparison of points.
If/when I have time I'll make it up, but for now I might try an Internet search for: Lubricants for
seat belts.

Thanks for the entertaining fights too ;-)

Ether Jones wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:

i The current best lubricating oils are made from Pennsylvania
crude./i

Depends on your definition of "best". For my cars, full
synthetic oils
have proven to be "best".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:

i The current best lubricating oils are made from Pennsylvania
crude./i

Depends on your definition of "best". For my cars, full
synthetic oils
have proven to be "best".

Hi,
All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"eiger3970" wrote in
message roups.com...

I'm still confused and all I want to do is lubricate my driver's seat belt
which sticks, rather than
winding itself back in?

My Toyota Corolla Ascent 2003 local wreckers people suggested silicon
spray

Why consult a wrecking yard when the world is full of factory-trained
Toyota servicemen?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Young's Law of usenet: After Nazis have been
invoked and called forth from the spirit world,
someone is sure to mention WD-40. The debate
"is it a lubricant or water displacer" is not complete
until someone explains what the letters abbrev. for.
Points are earned by quoting usenet posters of old,
Aristotle, or your own personal experiences with
WD-40. Web pages abound, and are on topic for
the debate. Regardless of how worthy an argument
is, no one is allowed to change sides. The debate
must continue to eternity.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote in :

All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is*
oil in it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

eiger3970 wrote:
My first post on here.
What a fascinating, lengthy discussion about WD40 and silicon spray. I'm
quite amazed and had to
respond.

I'm still confused and all I want to do is lubricate my driver's seat
belt which sticks, rather than
winding itself back in?

My Toyota Corolla Ascent 2003 local wreckers people suggested silicon
spray which is a first for
me.
My dad always said to use WD-40, but that was in the stone age before access to a world
knowledge base.

I would really like a definitive list comparison of points.
If/when I have time I'll make it up, but for now I might try an Internet
search for: Lubricants for
seat belts.

Thanks for the entertaining fights too ;-)

Your talking about lubrication the belt ? I use silicone which works for a
while. Best to clean and dry first with degreaser.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 00:36:56 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is*
oil in it.

Fish oil?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Jan 2013 15:35:14 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.

Orange juice can be a lubricant. WD-40 is better for most
applications though. It definitely meets the definition of lubricant.
It may or may not fit your needs, but it will lubricate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is*
oil in it.

Fish oil?

Fish oil in proper amounts will lubricate your digestive tract.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2013 6:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote in :

All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is*
oil in it.

When I was in college, I worked the night shift at a military ordnance
factory that manufactured the clockwork like safety fuses for artillery
shells, the mechanism was lubricated with WD-40. ^_^

TDD
Senior Member

WD40 was originally marketed as a water displacing chemical, and the name "WD40" stands for the 40th formulation tried for Water Displacement (which just happened to work much better than the previous 39 formulations tried). It was used by the US military to keep the nose cones on the missles stationed in Florida during the 1960's Cuban missle crisis from rusting. And, it still works well as a physical barrier between iron and the humidity in the surrounding air that would make that iron rust.

But, the reason why it works to protect metal from rusting is that WD40 leaves a residual oil film on the surface of the iron that prevents the humidity in the air from forming condensation on the surface of the iron and causing it to rust. Instead, that condensation forms on the surface of the oil film, and harmlessly runs off of that oil film, thereby protecting the underlying metal from corrosion.

My feeling is that a silicone lubricant will provide as good or better lubrication than WD40. However, because WD40 leaves behind a residual oil film over metal that's subject to rusting, it's a great product to use INDOORS to prevent metal from rusting. I used it on the iron piping of my hot water heating system whenever I would clean the rust off of any part of it, and the oil film remaining behind would act as a physical barrier between the exposed warm iron and the humidity in the air, and it's that physical barrier that prevented the exposed warm iron from rusting.

Outdoors, WD-40 is washed off by the rain, and therefore doesn't provide the lasting protection that an industrial coating (like an epoxy paint or nickel plating) would. So, nowadays, no one uses WD-40 to prevent metals from rusting since industrial coatings that work better and last almost forever are economically available. So, the makers of WD-40 market it as more of a lubricant than a water displacement chemical.

The rollers and tracks of a garage door would, in my view, be considered and "indoor" application since the door is only open for short periods. Most of the time, the door is closed and the rollers and tracks are not exposed to rain or sunlight. So, WD40 shouldn't wash off the rollers and tracks of a garage door as quickly as it would off of a bicycle chain, for example.

Last edited by nestork : January 6th 13 at 05:31 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote :

All I know is WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's solvent loosening things up
and cleaning.

Here we go again... WD-40 is *both* a lubricant and a solvent. Look up the MSDS. There *is*
oil in it.

When I was in college, I worked the night shift at a military ordnance
factory that manufactured the clockwork like safety fuses for artillery
shells, the mechanism was lubricated with WD-40. ^_^

TDD

All you need to know about it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wd40

All but half wits know there is a lubricant in it.
Half wits because everything is so easy to check out these days.

You can make your own, all you need is kerosine or diesel fuel mixed
with engine oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Spraying the seat belt probably won't do much good, if the roller mechanism
is binding.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

eiger3970 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

TRY JIG-A-LOO Invisible Silicone Dry Spray. Orange can, JIG1601
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 5, 2006 1:56:30 PM UTC-5, z wrote:
Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

WD-40 will evaporate after a while. Better bet for longterm is
something like motorcycle or bicycle chainlube, which is like WD40 with
molybdenum in it, or some of the lock lube liquids, which are like WD40
with graphite. Frankly, for something as delicate and refined as a door
hinge, you can use crappy old 3-in-1 or probably Crisco.

I like the idea of White Lightning or equivalent chain lube. I'll clean with WD and lube with chain lube the next time I try something like this. I've never used my chain lube for anything but bikes. Just makes sense to try it on other projects.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:
[...]

Commenting on a 2006 post in 2014. Well, that
makes the next reply in 2022?

That said, I do believe that many products can be
used for other purposes. Coca Cola for vehicle
battery clamps, etc.

The only time I lubricated a garage door, I used
Remington Wonder Lube with Teflon. And in 2022,
I'll reveal why. Beg me, you fools!

-
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

Holy Crikey wrote:
[...]

I have good success using a Lithium spray. Works well under all temperature
conditions.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-7, Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but Silicone Lubes will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using grease/oil) and will keep things quiet(more than a few days). People are stating somethings that are all in the past when WD40 only had Penetrating Spray.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 10:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but
Silicone Lubes will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using
grease/oil) and will keep things quiet(more than a few days). People
are stating somethings that are all in the past when WD40 only had
Penetrating Spray.

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He burried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/15 1:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/15/2015 10:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but
Silicone Lubes will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using
grease/oil) and will keep things quiet(more than a few days). People
are stating somethings that are all in the past when WD40 only had
Penetrating Spray.

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The
hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will
use oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He buried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Then in 2012 the door fell again and killed the mailman. Now he's
doing 10 to 20 in Leavenworth (or was it 5 to 10 in Woolworth's ?)

(Apologies to Groucho Marx)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 2/15/2015 10:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but
Silicone Lubes will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using
grease/oil) and will keep things quiet(more than a few days). People
are stating somethings that are all in the past when WD40 only had
Penetrating Spray.

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use
oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He burried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

Another glowing testimonial from a satisfied WD-40 user. Too bad about the
dog.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:16:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He burried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

Last week the garage door lentil beam broke, garage door rough opening
collapsed, dropped by four inches, and will not let the door operate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will use oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He burried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

Last week the garage door lentil beam broke, garage door rough opening
collapsed, dropped by four inches, and will not let the door operate.

Trim the door top using the Dremel tool you got for Christmas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2015 1:46 PM, Retired wrote:
On 2/15/15 1:16 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The original post is from 2006. We had an update last year. The
hinges
wore out and the door fell and killed his dog. Next time, he will
use oil.

The update was in 2009, the door fell again and
killed his mother in law. He buried her in a
shoe box next to the dog.

Then in 2012 the door fell again and killed the mailman. Now he's doing
10 to 20 in Leavenworth (or was it 5 to 10 in Woolworth's ?)

(Apologies to Groucho Marx)

As the Judge sentenced the OP, he was
heard to comment "that fellow is unhinged".

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

And 40 means they took 40 attempts to get it right

Posted to alt.home.repair

And 40 means they took 40 attempts to get it right

I like REM-Oil, and I don't even own a gun. :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

And 40 means they took 40 attempts to get it right

I like REM-Oil, and I don't even own a gun. :-)
John T.

Well get it in gear, get on down to the local gun shop and buy one!

No-Can-Do .. I would need a Firearms Aquisition Certificate ?
and/or a Possession and Acquisition Licence ?
.. or sumpthin' government-y ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 07:34:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I like REM-Oil, and I don't even own a gun. :-)
John T.

Well get it in gear, get on down to the local gun shop and buy one!

No-Can-Do .. I would need a Firearms Aquisition Certificate ?
and/or a Possession and Acquisition Licence ?
.. or sumpthin' government-y ..
John T.

Don't know where you live but consider this: An armed man is a
citizen; an unarmed man is a subject.

As James Madison said, "A government that does not trust its
law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of
trust".

The ".ca" at the end of his email leads me to think he's in Canada ...

G Here in America the Second Amendment is my gun permit. I don't
need no stinkin' government document.

--
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds