Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default Cleaning solvent for silicone spray lubricant

Background: In making some masters for casting that I'll use in a detailed
O-scale (1:48) model, I'm sculpting clay (Sculpey) parts that will
supplement some commercial white metal (?Zamac?) castings. To make the clay
release from the metal easier, I'm spraying the metal with a silicone spray
lubricant before slapping a slab of the clay onto the metal -- and this
works nicely. And it apparently doesn't interfere with the firing of the
Sculpey afterwards.

BUT ... and here's the metalworking content: I need to clean up the metal
parts that I've sprayed for later use. What solvent would be suitable for
getting the last residue of silicone off the surface so I can glue something
to it later?

TIA
Norm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
Background: In making some masters for casting that I'll use in a
detailed
O-scale (1:48) model, I'm sculpting clay (Sculpey) parts that will
supplement some commercial white metal (?Zamac?) castings. To make the
clay
release from the metal easier, I'm spraying the metal with a silicone
spray
lubricant before slapping a slab of the clay onto the metal -- and this
works nicely. And it apparently doesn't interfere with the firing of the
Sculpey afterwards.

BUT ... and here's the metalworking content: I need to clean up the metal
parts that I've sprayed for later use. What solvent would be suitable for
getting the last residue of silicone off the surface so I can glue
something
to it later?

Silicones are easily removed with hot, soapy water and a bit of scrubbing.
Follow on with a wipedown of Xylene to degrease from fingerprints.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:25:45 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

[...]

Solvent cleaning NO!NO! Steve Metalworking 12 January 28th 06 02:15 PM
"Draft Carpet Cleaning FAQ for comments" david lang UK diy 7 November 20th 05 07:29 PM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Cleaning VCR - need help and a diagram Mike Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 04 03:54 PM