Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor

Default Cleaning solvent for silicone spray lubricant

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:25:45 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
Background: In making some masters for casting that I'll use in a
detailed
O-scale (1:48) model, I'm sculpting clay (Sculpey) parts that will
supplement some commercial white metal (?Zamac?) castings. To make the
clay
release from the metal easier, I'm spraying the metal with a silicone
spray
lubricant before slapping a slab of the clay onto the metal -- and this
works nicely. And it apparently doesn't interfere with the firing of the
Sculpey afterwards.

BUT ... and here's the metalworking content: I need to clean up the metal
parts that I've sprayed for later use. What solvent would be suitable for
getting the last residue of silicone off the surface so I can glue
something
to it later?

Silicones are easily removed with hot, soapy water and a bit of scrubbing.
Follow on with a wipedown of Xylene to degrease from fingerprints.

LLoyd