Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:03:13 GMT, Holy Crikey
wrote:

I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Silicone spray is excellent except you will
have great difficulty painting anything that has silicone residue on
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WD-40 is essentially kerosene and a carrier/spray. Nice for cleaning
metal, loosening things up, etc., like a penetrating oil, but NO
long-term lubricant properties. For garage doors, etc., I use an SAE-80
gear oil, as it doesn't run as much, and pretty well stays where I put
it. The silicon lubricants are generally waterproof, but as the last
poster points out, they mess up the surface for painting, unless very
throughly cleaned. I use WD-40 for cleaning, but NOT lubricating
firearms, cleaning the rims of my bicycle wheels, and stuff like that.
I find that a pump oiler full of ordinary 10W30 motor oil really meets
the majority of lubricating needs around the house, plus the SAE-80
gear oil for stuff like the garage door pivots and the bearings on the
push lawnmower. A small grease gun is likewise handy to have around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

Hi,
Silicon or Teflon based sparay. Never WD-40!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40
primarily is, not a lubricant. It's mostly kerosene with a small
percentage of other added petrochemicals.

Use a drop or 2 of light oil to penetrate between the moving surfaces,
and wipe clean so it doesn't attract dust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:

I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

I've read that silicone oil can cause problems by being incompatible
with any oil already in the bearings, and it's better to use regular
light machine oil (5, 10, or 20 weight). Another person said that
sewing machine oil isn't good because it's vegetable oil (so it won't
stain clothes permanently). Only the bearings are supposed to be
lubed, not the nylon wheels or the tracks. If your door runs on pivot
hinges instead of tracks, then aerosol grease is supposed to be the
best. This grease is mixed with a liquid solvent that evaporates after
it's sprayed on, and auto parts stores should have it because it's used
for door hinges and latches.

I once had a squealing speedometer (metal cylinder spinning in nylon
hole). I cleaned the parts with degreaser and applied silicone oil --
still squealed. Cleaned again and tried WD-40 -- again no help.
Another cleaning and two drops of light machine oil -- no more squeaks,
ever again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Holy Crikey" wrote in message
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

Neither. Try oil.

WD40 is NOT a lubricant and silicone spray is not intended for metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey writes:

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at
Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops
of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not
significantly different from WD-40. Read the label or MSDS, and you'll
find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list. Actual silicone oil
is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.

Here is an example:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=7007009
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones writes:

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40
primarily is, not a lubricant.

It says "lubricates" on the can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Silicone spray is excellent except you will
have great difficulty painting anything that has silicone residue on
it.

WD-40 says "lubricates" on the can.

Gunk and similar brands of "silicone" spray are just WD-40 with a few drops
of silicone oil for laughs. Odd that you think it is "excellent" but WD-40
is not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote in
:

Ether Jones writes:

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40
primarily is, not a lubricant.

It says "lubricates" on the can.

But does NOT say for -how long-.

K-Y jelly lubricates,too. ;-P
WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

The simplest and maybe the best solution is to
clean the hinge with WD40 and then oil it with any
any 20 or 30 weight oil. The most thorough way is
to pop each pin up until each pin engages only one
loop on the frame half of the hinge and one loop
on the door half of the hinge is engaged by the
pin. Then put oil on a Q-tip and push it up
through the hinge loops and all over the exposed
pin. Then just pound the pin down into place.

If you cannot or are afraid of popping the pins
up, then put oil at each loop, swing the door, add
more oil, wipe most off, and after two days the
oil should have seeped to all hinge surfaces.
Throughly clean (wipe) any oil off the hinges.

Graphite in oil (Lock-ease) also works very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:59:21 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Silicone spray is excellent except you will
have great difficulty painting anything that has silicone residue on
it.

WD-40 says "lubricates" on the can.

Gunk and similar brands of "silicone" spray are just WD-40 with a few drops
of silicone oil for laughs. Odd that you think it is "excellent" but WD-40
is not.

Silicone is just for laughs? Water can be a lubricant also but I doubt
it would be your first choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 22:54:59 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Holy Crikey writes:

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at
Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops
of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not
significantly different from WD-40. Read the label or MSDS, and you'll
find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list. Actual silicone oil
is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.

Here is an example:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=7007009

I take it you've never played foosball.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WD40 is NOT a lubricant and silicone spray is not intended for metal.

Silicone oil is intended for metal and vinyl and leather and rubber
and plastic and wood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's a
poor lubricant.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any hardware
store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take care of the
problem.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil. Refer to
http://www.wd40.com . The site does not label the product as a
"lubricant" or "water drier". But it does suggest applications such as
removing spots, etc.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's a
poor lubricant.
Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any hardware
store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take care of the
problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use anti seize on hinge pins. take the pin out,brush it on and
install the pin. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Stubby wrote:
It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil.

So what??

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm leaving now to go home, dig out the K-Y and see where that leads.

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil. Refer to
http://www.wd40.com . The site does not label the product as a
"lubricant" or "water drier". But it does suggest applications such as
removing spots, etc.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Holy Crikey
wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's
a poor lubricant.
Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any
hardware store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take
care of the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Gunk and similar brands of "silicone" spray are just WD-40 with a few drops
of silicone oil for laughs.

Who told you this? They were having fun at your expense.

WD40 is mostly kerosene. There is NO kerosene in any of the major
brands of silicone spray. WD40 and silicone spray are completely
different chemical formulations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at
Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops
of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not
significantly different from WD-40.

You appear unaware that there are thousands of different compounds which
can be distilled from petroleum, and *all* of them can be referred to as
"petroleum distillate". Educate yourself here

http://www.protectall.com/artmyths.htm

where you can learn about the many different chemicals that fall under
the generic heading "petroleum distillate"

and here

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...aerosol.us.pdf

where the MSDS for WD-40 shows that its composition isn't even remotely
similar to that of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant.

Read the label or MSDS, and you'll
find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list.

Copied verbatim from the back of a can of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant,
p/n AMS9-14, that I have in my garage:

"Contains petroleum distillate (CAS# 142-82-5), propane (CAS# 74-98-6),
Dimethyl polysiloxane (CAS# 63148-98-6), and water (CAS# 7732-18-5)."

Doesn't look to me like silicone is "the last ingredient on the list."
Maybe it does to you.

Actual silicone oil
is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.

Here is an example:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=7007009

From the fifth line under "Brand Information":
"Date Entered: 1996-09-03"

Do ya think that might be just a little bit out of date, that the
formula might have changed some in the last TEN YEARS??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use "Wet Platinum". It is silicone based. Honest.

Craven Morehead wrote:
I'm leaving now to go home, dig out the K-Y and see where that leads.

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
It turns out WD40 company also makes 3-in-1 oil. Refer to
http://www.wd40.com . The site does not label the product as a
"lubricant" or "water drier". But it does suggest applications such as
removing spots, etc.

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Holy Crikey
wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.
That should be your first clue that WD-40 is the wrong thing to use. It's
a poor lubricant.
Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.
You should use neither. A few drops of 3-in-1 Oil (available at any
hardware store or home center) on each of the squeaky hinges will take
care of the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

WD-40 will evaporate after a while. Better bet for longterm is
something like motorcycle or bicycle chainlube, which is like WD40 with
molybdenum in it, or some of the lock lube liquids, which are like WD40
with graphite. Frankly, for something as delicate and refined as a door
hinge, you can use crappy old 3-in-1 or probably Crisco.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Doug Miller wrote:

Copied verbatim from the back of a can of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant,
p/n AMS9-14, that I have in my garage:

"Contains petroleum distillate (CAS# 142-82-5), propane (CAS# 74-98-6),
Dimethyl polysiloxane (CAS# 63148-98-6), and water (CAS# 7732-18-5)."

Water? Now that is what is a surprise to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:

WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.

I respectfully disagree. It has a tendency to disappear, and I suppose
leave any dust and cat fur it's picked up left behind as a gummy mess,
but that's about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JJ JJ is offline

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

WD-40 will evaporate after a while. Better bet for longterm is
something like motorcycle or bicycle chainlube, which is like WD40 with
molybdenum in it, or some of the lock lube liquids, which are like WD40
with graphite. Frankly, for something as delicate and refined as a door
hinge, you can use crappy old 3-in-1 or probably Crisco.

The best solution I ever found was a lubricant that the local garage door
installer sold me. Depends if your climate is an issue but where I am, this
stuff stayed pliable to temps 20 degrees below zero. Sorry don't remember
the name, but it was sold in a small squeeze tube, small application in each
hinge did the trick for years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The best solution I ever found was a lubricant that the local garage door
installer sold me. Depends if your climate is an issue but where I am, this
stuff stayed pliable to temps 20 degrees below zero. Sorry don't remember
the name, but it was sold in a small squeeze tube, small application in each
hinge did the trick for years.

This grease is compatible with plastics

http://www.lubriplate.com/webstore/detail.aspx?ID=14
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Holy Crikey" wrote in message
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

This is what you want. Regular White lithium grease (tube/spray) is fine
also.

Don't buy it at Amazon, it's at any hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Lithium.../dp/B00030BFF6

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

Congrats on the best answer of them all.... But I've even used plain marine
grease, and it works well also. I think maybe his hinges are captive pin,
negating our answers.

WD40 "toolbox in a can"? I don't think so.....

wrote in message
i use anti seize on hinge pins. take the pin out,brush it on and
install the pin. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

I use WD-40 for cleaning. That's all.

I use silicon for applying a fine layer of lube over a larger area.

As for garage door hinges, and pins, a few drops of light machinery
oil lubes and adhearse to the surfaces I want to keep lubed.

This is me, I generally give my garage door a yearly cleaning and
lubing.

imho,

tom @ www.MyFastCoolCars.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

WD-40 shows that its composition isn't even remotely
similar to that of Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant.

Actually, it is. Industrial chemists use various nomenclatures for the
same things, in an attempt to obscure what's going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

Doesn't look to me like silicone is "the last ingredient on the list."
Maybe it does to you.

No water on the can on my shelf, or in the MSDS. Having found a pointless
counterexample, you win the prissy exception contest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones writes:

WD40 is mostly kerosene. There is NO kerosene in any of the major
brands of silicone spray. WD40 and silicone spray are completely
different chemical formulations.

Nope. Read the Gunk brand can or MSDS linked in my earlier posts. Gunk
"silicone" spray is 99 percent petroleum, roughly kerosene weight, with a
tiny bit of silicone oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

z writes:

WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.

I respectfully disagree. It has a tendency to disappear, and I suppose
leave any dust and cat fur it's picked up left behind as a gummy mess,
but that's about it.

Exactly. It deliberately corresponds to the first of three grades of mil
spec corrosion inhibitors, those three roughly being tackless, waxy, and
gummy/tacky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at
Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops
of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not
significantly different from WD-40. Read the label or MSDS, and you'll
find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list. Actual silicone oil
is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.

Here is an example:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=7007009

But here's another MSDS, for Valvoline's Pyroil brand silicone lube
spray:

http://msds.ashland.com/ShowMSDS.asp...CONE+LUBRICANT

It lists:

Ingredient(s) CAS Number % (by
weight)

HEPTANE 142-82-5 87.0-
97.0
CARBON DIOXIDE 124-38-9 0.0-
10.0
SILICONE Trade Secret 0.0-
8.0

IOW it appears that there's nothing in the can except propellant and
some silicone compound.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ether Jones writes:

WD40 is mostly kerosene. There is NO kerosene in any of the major
brands of silicone spray. WD40 and silicone spray are completely
different chemical formulations.

Nope. Read the Gunk brand can

Maybe *you* should read it before you post further on this topic. I did, and
posted what I found. The contents are not what you claim they are.

or MSDS linked in my earlier posts.

The MSDS you linked is more than ten years old, and is not from the
manufacturer. Here's a recent (21 Mar 2005) MSDS from the manufacturer:

http://www.gunk.com/msds/AM914_6.PDF

Gunk
"silicone" spray is 99 percent petroleum, roughly kerosene weight, with a
tiny bit of silicone oil.

Wrong on all counts.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

K-Y jelly lubricates,too. ;-P
WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.

Well MOST people draw the line at margarine, you kinky *******! ;o)

-zero

Posted to alt.home.repair

"-zero" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

K-Y jelly lubricates,too. ;-P
WD-40 has a tendency to gum up after awhile.

Well MOST people draw the line at margarine, you kinky *******! ;o)

-zero

It's your own dirty mind that led you to that conclusion. 8-)

Soybean cooking oil would be a better lubricant for *mechanical things*
than WD-40.(castor bean oil used to be used in autos!)

So would kerosene.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry moe 'n curly writes:

IOW it appears that there's nothing in the can except propellant and
some silicone compound.

It's 87 percent heptane, which is a petroleum distillate. The CO2 is the
propellant.