Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Holy Crikey writes:

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Don't be a sucker. "Silicone" spray, such as the Gunk brand you buy at
Home Depot or the auto parts store, is *not* silicone. It is a few drops
of silicone oil in a bulk of petroleum distillate, which is to say, not
significantly different from WD-40. Read the label or MSDS, and you'll
find that silicone is the last ingredient on the list. Actual silicone oil
is expensive, so you won't find it in a big can for a few bucks.

Here is an example:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=7007009