Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones Ether Jones is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40
primarily is, not a lubricant. It's mostly kerosene with a small
percentage of other added petrochemicals.

Use a drop or 2 of light oil to penetrate between the moving surfaces,
and wipe clean so it doesn't attract dust.