Veggie

Default stuck windows - looking for non-smelly silicone lube

I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Travis Jordan

Veggie wrote:
I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Silicon spray?

http://www.the-oilman.com/products/als.html

Red Neckerson

"Veggie" wrote in message
om...
I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

They make a food-grade silicon spray that has no taste or odor. Can't
remember who makes it, but i know it's out there.....

Art

I went thru 5 different brands of silicone sprays for wood windows with
plastic tracks and the best one was by Dupont. Bought it at Ace Hardware
but have never found it again. Was NOT 100% silicone. They did not hold up
as well. None of the sprays smelled bad after an hour. If plastic involve
look for one labeled for plastic or vinyl.

"Veggie" wrote in message
om...
I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Bob(but not that Bob)

Veggie wrote:

I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

I've never noticed an odor with KEL Pure Silicone spray:

http://unitygeneral.com/detail.aspx?ID=742
George

"Veggie" wrote in message
om...
I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive
parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline
consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.

Veggie

Thanks for the info. It seems like all the sprays mentioned in the
thread use some sort of evaporating carrier (hexane, aliphatic petroleum
distillates, 1,1,1 trichlor, etc.) I suppose the carrier would
normally evaporate. But on windows, there are so many nooks and
crannies and weatherstrip that the stuff takes a week or more to
completely evaporate.

George wrote:

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive
parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline
consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Veggie wrote:
Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive
parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline
consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.

Back in my dive shop days we used to use food grade silicon grease to lube and
restore rubber o-rings and regulator parts. It has no odor and lasts much
longer than silicon spray. Dow made it.... they call it high vacuum grease
silicon compound.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Chuck

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:52:14 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

Veggie wrote:
Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive
parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline
consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.

Back in my dive shop days we used to use food grade silicon grease to lube and
restore rubber o-rings and regulator parts. It has no odor and lasts much
longer than silicon spray. Dow made it.... they call it high vacuum grease
silicon compound.

To Mortimer Schnerd..
Would Rick Springer approved of it? OR more importantly Sena Stone?
(spell check on Sena...)

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Chuck wrote:
To Mortimer Schnerd..
Would Rick Springer approved of it? OR more importantly Sena Stone?
(spell check on Sena...)

Somebody out there knows me....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Veggie

That's great, there's a dive shop in town. Saves me the trouble of
calling a manufacturer and begging them to ship me a single order of grease.

Thanks for all the net advice.