George

"Veggie" wrote in message
om...
I have windows that are friction based (no rollers) and need silicone
lube every few years or so. The mfg recommends silicone lube as other
lubes and oils attract dirt, which jams up the surfaces. The silicone
lube works great and is long lasting, but the problem is the nasty
petroleum smell that lasts for days, nearly a week.

From what I could find out, silicone lubes use a "carrier" that
evaporates, leaving the silicone behind. Are there any silicone lubes
that don't use a smelly carrier, or even 100% pure silicone that I can
swab on the windows? Is the carrier really needed?

Probably the easiest way to get what you want is to go to an automotive
parts store and buy a tube of silicone dielectric grease. It is a vaseline
consistency pure silicone that will do exactly what you want with no odor.