Posted to alt.home.repair

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

Doug Miller writes:

Maybe *you* should read it before you post further on this topic. I
did, and posted what I found. The contents are not what you claim they
are.

Sorry, but that's what's on the can on my shelf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Doug Miller writes:

Maybe *you* should read it before you post further on this topic. I
did, and posted what I found. The contents are not what you claim they
are.

Sorry, but that's what's on the can on my shelf.

Either the can you have is as old as the MDSD you posted the link to, or you
need to look at the can again. The composition of the stuff now simply is not
what you say it is.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

The composition of the stuff now simply is not what you say it is.

Sez you. Reality doesn't correspond to your petulant annoyance.

Here are Gunk MSDSs from 2005 or 2006:

http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914_6.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M949.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/AM914_6.PDF

Looks like they may have upped the silicone from 1-2 percent to 6-7
percent. Still 93 percent petroleum/propellant/surfactant, like WD-40.

It is: paint thinner with a little silicone added.

It is not: silicone spray in the sense of a spray made of silicone.

Kind of like calling Mountain Dew "fruit juice" because it has some fruit
flavoring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

The composition of the stuff now simply is not what you say it is.

Sez you. Reality doesn't correspond to your petulant annoyance.

Yes, "sez me." The reality is exactly as I said: the stuff just isn't what you
say it is.

Here are Gunk MSDSs from 2005 or 2006:

http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914_6.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M949.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/AM914_6.PDF

Yes, I know, I read them. I posted that last one, remember?

Looks like they may have upped the silicone from 1-2 percent to 6-7
percent. Still 93 percent petroleum/propellant/surfactant, like WD-40.

Take a look at the MSDS for WD-40. Compare the two.

Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant #AM914 is, according to the MSDS:
aliphatic solvent naphtha 15 to 40%
butane 10 to 30 %
dimethyl polysiloxane 1 to 5%
propane 1 to 5%

WD40 is, according to the MSDS,
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil 15-25%
LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 12-18%
Carbon Dioxide 2-3%

It is: paint thinner with a little silicone added.

It is not.

From the MSDS for Parks paint thinner (a brand widely sold at home centers):
Stoddard Solvent (percentage not given)
1,2,4-trimethyl benzene (percentage not given)

http://www.newparks.com/PDF/MSDS/SOLVENTS/PaintThinner.
pdf#search=%22parks%20%22paint%20thinner%22%20msds %22

It is not: silicone spray in the sense of a spray made of silicone.

Straw man -- nobody ever claimed that it was.

Kind of like calling Mountain Dew "fruit juice" because it has some fruit
flavoring.

And now I suppose you're going to argue with Sherwin-Williams for calling
their products "latex paint" when they're mostly water?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

It is: paint thinner with a little silicone added.

It is not ... From the MSDS for Parks paint thinner ...

OK, your analysis is, Stoddard solvent is not an aliphatic petroleum
distillate. Let's leave it at that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

It is: paint thinner with a little silicone added.

It is not ... From the MSDS for Parks paint thinner ...

OK, your analysis is, Stoddard solvent is not an aliphatic petroleum
distillate. Let's leave it at that.

It's not.

You might want to Google on "Stoddard solvent" to find out what it really is,
since you appear to be totally ignorant of its composition. It *contains*
aliphatic petroleum distillates, but its composition is more than half
NON-aliphatic.

Now stop, before you make yourself look even sillier than you already have.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

You might want to Google on "Stoddard solvent" to find out what it
really is, since you appear to be totally ignorant of its composition.
It *contains* aliphatic petroleum distillates, but its composition is
more than half NON-aliphatic.

My total ignorance cannot possibly win against such diligent Googling. I
eagerly await your rewrite of organic chemistry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

Use a petrol-based machine oil, like bike lube. Don't use 3-in-1,
since it's a vegetable-based oil and oxidizes into varnish.

White lithium grease is better than oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

You might want to Google on "Stoddard solvent" to find out what it
really is, since you appear to be totally ignorant of its composition.
It *contains* aliphatic petroleum distillates, but its composition is
more than half NON-aliphatic.

My total ignorance cannot possibly win against such diligent Googling.

*I* didn't need to use Google to know that Stoddard solvent isn't an
"aliphatic petroleum distillate". I suggested Google because I figured it was
the easiest way for *you* to learn what it is, as it appears rather unlikely,
on the basis of this and earlier posts, that your household includes any
chemistry textbooks.

I eagerly await your rewrite of organic chemistry.

In other words... you really *don't* know what it is, and refuse to learn. :-)

Let's summarize here, shall we?

You claimed that Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant is basically nothing more than
WD-40 with a few drops of silicone added.

Wrong, as I demonstrated by posting the composition of each.

You also claimed that it's basically nothing more than paint thinner with a
little bit of silicone.

Wrong again, as I demonstrated by posting the composition of a common brand of
paint thinner.

Your basis for those claims is the fact that the principal ingredient in all
three is petroleum distillate; you seem to be under the impression that this
is a single compound, rather than a generic term that encompasses thousands
(if not millions) of widely different compounds that often have nothing more
in common than their origin in petroleum.

Then you suggest that I'm trying to rewrite organic chemistry!!

I'd also like to remind the readers, if there are any left at this point, that
Richard has in the past claimed that gasoline is safe to drink, and carbon
monoxide is safe to breathe -- but common household borax is a deadly
poison.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your "demonstrations" consist of finding differences in ingredients and
nomenclature.

Doug Miller writes:

I'd also like to remind the readers, if there are any left at this
point, that Richard has in the past claimed that gasoline is safe to
drink ...

What a sad and pathetic attitude you have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Your "demonstrations" consist of finding differences in ingredients and
nomenclature.

That was kind of the point, you know -- that having different ingredients
means they're NOT THE SAME. I'm not sure why that's difficult for you.

As for "differences in ... nomenclature", do you seriously contend that
Stoddard solvent and the aliphatic solvent naphtha which is the principal
constituent of Gunk Silicone Spray Lube are merely the same thing under
different names?

If so ... I'd love to see the explanation of *that*.

If not ... please clarify what you meant.

Doug Miller writes:

I'd also like to remind the readers, if there are any left at this
point, that Richard has in the past claimed that gasoline is safe to
drink, and carbon monoxide is safe to breathe -- but common household borax
is a deadly poison.

What a sad and pathetic attitude you have.

What a sad and pathetic "understanding" of chemistry *you* have. And you
*have* made those claims.

As for my "attitude", I find it entertaining to puncture pretentious gasbags
and watch them sputter. Thank you for being a continuing source of amusement,
not only to myself but to others as well.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 8 Oct 2006 15:21:13 -0700, "Father Haskell" wrote:

Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

Use a petrol-based machine oil, like bike lube. Don't use 3-in-1,
since it's a vegetable-based oil and oxidizes into varnish.

??? You're kidding, right?

Not according to the several bike repair manuals I've read. Oils
come in two flavors, drying and non-drying. Drying types, made
from plants, are what varnishes are made from, with the addition
of resins to add body.

The current best lubricating oils are made from Pennsylvania crude.
The previous best was spermacetti, from whales, which you
rightfully can't get anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

I find it entertaining to puncture pretentious gasbags
and watch them sputter.

That explains a lot. You take pride and pleasure in the humiliation of
others. Gasbags you deem fair game, unworthy of civility. You are
profoundly lonely, such a skunky personality being repulsive, except to
other skunks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

I find it entertaining to puncture pretentious gasbags
and watch them sputter.

That explains a lot. You take pride and pleasure in the humiliation of
others.

That's not what I said.

And I notice that you failed to address *any* of the substantive points I
raised. I wonder why that is...

I've demonstrated that you were completely wrong on every count. And now all
you can do is complain about my tone.

So be it.

Gasbags you deem fair game, unworthy of civility.

*Pretentious* gasbags. And I haven't been uncivil to you. Sarcastic, perhaps,
but not uncivil.

You are
profoundly lonely, such a skunky personality being repulsive, except to
other skunks.

Anyone else hear the sound of a punctured gasbag sputtering?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Use a petrol-based machine oil, like bike lube. Don't use 3-in-1,
since it's a vegetable-based oil and oxidizes into varnish.

??? You're kidding, right?

Not according to the several bike repair manuals I've read. Oils
come in two flavors, drying and non-drying. Drying types, made
from plants, are what varnishes are made from, with the addition
of resins to add body.

Wow. So many errors in just two paragraphs.

First off, *no* oil "oxidizes into varnish". Varnish, as you said, contains
resin. The oxidation process doesn't magically cause resin to appear if it
wasn't there before.

Second, varnish isn't just oil plus resin: it needs a solvent or vehicle as
well.

Third, you imply that all vegetable oils are drying oils, when in fact many,
if not most, vegetable oils are non-drying.

Finally, the claim that 3-in-1 oil is "vegetable-based" is simply absurd, and
is, I suspect, what triggered the "??? You're kidding, right?" remark. Just
look at the label on a can of it: "Contains petroleum distillates." Or read
the MSDS he http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...purpose.us.pdf

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Use a petrol-based machine oil, like bike lube. Don't use 3-in-1,
since it's a vegetable-based oil and oxidizes into varnish.

??? You're kidding, right?

Not according to the several bike repair manuals I've read. Oils
come in two flavors, drying and non-drying. Drying types, made
from plants, are what varnishes are made from, with the addition
of resins to add body.

Wow. So many errors in just two paragraphs.

First off, *no* oil "oxidizes into varnish". Varnish, as you said, contains
resin. The oxidation process doesn't magically cause resin to appear if it
wasn't there before.

Second, varnish isn't just oil plus resin: it needs a solvent or vehicle as
well.

"Varnish," meaning a dried coating of gunk that jams up fine, precision

machinery, like Sturmey-Archer 5-speed hubs. Not "varnish" enough
that I'd use it to refinish a piano.

Third, you imply that all vegetable oils are drying oils, when in fact many,
if not most, vegetable oils are non-drying.

Linseed, tung, etc.

Finally, the claim that 3-in-1 oil is "vegetable-based" is simply absurd,

Not according to the bike manuals.

and
is, I suspect, what triggered the "??? You're kidding, right?" remark. Just
look at the label on a can of it: "Contains petroleum distillates." Or read
the MSDS he http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...purpose.us.pdf

If so, I'll gladly reconsider.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, "Father Haskell" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, "Father

wrote:

[...]

Varnish has two meanings, and, yes, that's one of them -- but you were
*clearly* using the other meaning when you described varnish as a blend of oil
and resin.

Third, you imply that all vegetable oils are drying oils, when in fact many,
if not most, vegetable oils are non-drying.

Linseed, tung, etc.

Yes, some *are* drying oils, as I clearly acknowledged -- but most are not,
e.g. corn, soybean, canola, etc.

Finally, the claim that 3-in-1 oil is "vegetable-based" is simply absurd,

Not according to the bike manuals.

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of 3-in-1
oil?

and
is, I suspect, what triggered the "??? You're kidding, right?" remark. Just
look at the label on a can of it: "Contains petroleum distillates." Or read
the MSDS he http://www.wd40.com/Brands/pdfs/msds...purpose.us.pdf

If so, I'll gladly reconsider.

Don't just take my word for it -- go to wd40.com and read the MSDS for
yourself. Go to a hardware store and read the label on the can. 3-in-1 oil is
a petroleum oil. It is NOT vegetable-based.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:
larry moe 'n curly writes:

IOW it appears that there's nothing in the can except propellant and
some silicone compound.

It's 87 percent heptane, which is a petroleum distillate. The CO2 is the
propellant.

Yes, CO2 is the propellant. But the Heptane is just a solvent to help
thin the silicone and allow it to penetrate. It evaporates rapidly,
once it's out of the can, leaving the silicone lubricant evenly
dispersed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom The Great wrote:

I use silicon for applying a fine layer of lube over a larger area.

silicon and silicone are two completely different things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

Linseed, tung, etc.

Yes, some *are* drying oils, as I clearly acknowledged -- but most are
not, e.g. corn, soybean, canola, etc.

Of your examples, only canola is non-drying.

Corn (maize), soybean, safflower, sunflower, and some other vegetable oils
are semi-drying and do find use in paints. This is why they get gummy on
the outside of the bottle.

Drying vs non-drying is not a neat distinction. All of the above consist
of the same 5 fatty acids, just in different proportions. Two of those
five fatty acids are polyunsaturated and contribute drying properties. Raw
linseed oil typically contains 30 percent non-drying fatty acids: palmitic,
stearic, and oleic. Same constituents as found in beef or pork fat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Father Haskell wrote:

The current best lubricating oils are made from Pennsylvania crude.

Depends on your definition of "best". For my cars, full synthetic oils
have proven to be "best".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of 3-in-1
oil?

Or the mechanic who has to rebuild a hub after it's been gunked up by
3-in-1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of

3-in-1
oil?

Or the mechanic who has to rebuild a hub after it's been gunked up by
3-in-1.

I'm not debating whether 3-in-1 is, or is not, an appropriate product for
lubricating a bicycle -- I'm just saying that it's NOT a vegetable oil. The
ingredients statement on the product package says it's petroleum. The
manufacturer's MSDS says it's petroleum.

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

Your bike manual is wrong.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller writes:

Linseed, tung, etc.

Yes, some *are* drying oils, as I clearly acknowledged -- but most are
not, e.g. corn, soybean, canola, etc.

Of your examples, only canola is non-drying.

I didn't say that any of them were non-drying -- I said they are not drying,
which encompasses non-drying *and* semi-drying. As you say...

Drying vs non-drying is not a neat distinction.

I was responding to a post that implied that "vegetable oil" and "drying oil"
were equivalent, which is absolutely not the case.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of

3-in-1
oil?

Or the mechanic who has to rebuild a hub after it's been gunked up by
3-in-1.

I'm not debating whether 3-in-1 is, or is not, an appropriate product for
lubricating a bicycle -- I'm just saying that it's NOT a vegetable oil. The
ingredients statement on the product package says it's petroleum. The
manufacturer's MSDS says it's petroleum.

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Oct 2006 06:01:08 -0700, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Tom The Great wrote:

I use silicon for applying a fine layer of lube over a larger area.

silicon and silicone are two completely different things.

Ah thx, for the spelling assist.

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

Father Haskell wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said in an earlier post that you had a bike manual that said 3-in-1
oil is vegetable-based. That claim is what Doug is contesting.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

When Doug wrote "Your bike manual is wrong", he was referring to your
claim that the bike manual said 3-in-1 oil is vegetable-based. He
took no position on whether or not it gunks up hubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, "Father Haskell" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Father

Haskell" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source

for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of
3-in-1
oil?

Or the mechanic who has to rebuild a hub after it's been gunked up by
3-in-1.

I'm not debating whether 3-in-1 is, or is not, an appropriate product for
lubricating a bicycle -- I'm just saying that it's NOT a vegetable oil. The
ingredients statement on the product package says it's petroleum. The
manufacturer's MSDS says it's petroleum.

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said earlier that your bike manual said that 3-in-1 is a vegetable oil.
*That* is what I was referring to when I said this:

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

I never said anything about what it did, or didn't, do to freehubs or any
other part of a bicycle. I said it's not a vegetable oil, it's a petroleum
oil.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said in an earlier post that you had a bike manual that said 3-in-1
oil is vegetable-based. That claim is what Doug is contesting.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

When Doug wrote "Your bike manual is wrong", he was referring to your
claim that the bike manual said 3-in-1 oil is vegetable-based. He
took no position on whether or not it gunks up hubs.

Doesn't much matter what it's made of. It fouls up delicate
machinery. Italian bike component manufacturer Campagnolo
claims that their tolerances and finish exceed aerospace grade.
Read that as saying bike shops are probably the best place to
buy lubricating oils.

3-in-1 is good for door hinges. Good also for jamming locks
with less risk of raising suspicion than super glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ether Jones wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said in an earlier post that you had a bike manual that said 3-in-1
oil is vegetable-based. That claim is what Doug is contesting.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

When Doug wrote "Your bike manual is wrong", he was referring to your
claim that the bike manual said 3-in-1 oil is vegetable-based. He
took no position on whether or not it gunks up hubs.

Doesn't much matter what it's made of. It fouls up delicate
machinery.

The original post asked what lubricant to use on a door hinge!! What it may do
to delicate machinery is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

And it's *not* vegetable oil, no matter what your bike manual says.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Father Haskell wrote:
Ether Jones wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said in an earlier post that you had a bike manual that said 3-in-1
oil is vegetable-based. That claim is what Doug is contesting.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

When Doug wrote "Your bike manual is wrong", he was referring to your
claim that the bike manual said 3-in-1 oil is vegetable-based. He
took no position on whether or not it gunks up hubs.

Doesn't much matter what it's made of.

It matters that we correct the false information that you posted, to
wit, your claim that it is made of vegetable oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Ether Jones writes:

The "WD" in WD40 stands for "Water Dispersant", which is what WD40
primarily is, not a lubricant.

It says "lubricates" on the can.

Hmmm,
For a while until it dries up and induce rust and what not.
WD-40 is not lubricant, it is water repellent/solvent. It makes
metal bare. water drops will lubricate for a while as well.