Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

In article .com, "Father Haskell" wrote:

Ether Jones wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said in an earlier post that you had a bike manual that said 3-in-1
oil is vegetable-based. That claim is what Doug is contesting.

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

When Doug wrote "Your bike manual is wrong", he was referring to your
claim that the bike manual said 3-in-1 oil is vegetable-based. He
took no position on whether or not it gunks up hubs.

Doesn't much matter what it's made of. It fouls up delicate
machinery.

The original post asked what lubricant to use on a door hinge!! What it may do
to delicate machinery is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

And it's *not* vegetable oil, no matter what your bike manual says.

--
Regards,