Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

In article . com, "Father Haskell" wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article . com, "Father

Haskell" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

Then your bike manuals are wrong. Which do you suppose is a better source

for
the composition of 3-in-1 oil, some bike manual, or the manufacturer of
3-in-1
oil?

Or the mechanic who has to rebuild a hub after it's been gunked up by
3-in-1.

I'm not debating whether 3-in-1 is, or is not, an appropriate product for
lubricating a bicycle -- I'm just saying that it's NOT a vegetable oil. The
ingredients statement on the product package says it's petroleum. The
manufacturer's MSDS says it's petroleum.

You have a bike manual that says it's vegetable.

I have a bike manual that says it gums up freehubs.

You said earlier that your bike manual said that 3-in-1 is a vegetable oil.
*That* is what I was referring to when I said this:

Your bike manual is wrong.

I've taken down freehubs and seen the claimed effect for myself.

I never said anything about what it did, or didn't, do to freehubs or any
other part of a bicycle. I said it's not a vegetable oil, it's a petroleum
oil.

--
Regards,