Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Doug Miller writes:

The composition of the stuff now simply is not what you say it is.

Sez you. Reality doesn't correspond to your petulant annoyance.

Yes, "sez me." The reality is exactly as I said: the stuff just isn't what you
say it is.

Here are Gunk MSDSs from 2005 or 2006:

http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M914_6.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/M949.PDF
http://www.gunk.com/msds/AM914_6.PDF

Yes, I know, I read them. I posted that last one, remember?

Looks like they may have upped the silicone from 1-2 percent to 6-7
percent. Still 93 percent petroleum/propellant/surfactant, like WD-40.

Take a look at the MSDS for WD-40. Compare the two.

Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant #AM914 is, according to the MSDS:
aliphatic solvent naphtha 15 to 40%
butane 10 to 30 %
dimethyl polysiloxane 1 to 5%
propane 1 to 5%

WD40 is, according to the MSDS,
Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 45-50%
Petroleum Base Oil 15-25%
LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 12-18%
Carbon Dioxide 2-3%

It is: paint thinner with a little silicone added.

It is not.

From the MSDS for Parks paint thinner (a brand widely sold at home centers):
Stoddard Solvent (percentage not given)
1,2,4-trimethyl benzene (percentage not given)

http://www.newparks.com/PDF/MSDS/SOLVENTS/PaintThinner.
pdf#search=%22parks%20%22paint%20thinner%22%20msds %22

It is not: silicone spray in the sense of a spray made of silicone.

Straw man -- nobody ever claimed that it was.

Kind of like calling Mountain Dew "fruit juice" because it has some fruit
flavoring.

And now I suppose you're going to argue with Sherwin-Williams for calling
their products "latex paint" when they're mostly water?

--
Regards,