Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:03:13 GMT, Holy Crikey
wrote:

I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

WD-40 is not a lubricant. Silicone spray is excellent except you will
have great difficulty painting anything that has silicone residue on
it.