Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dgoforit@gmail.com is offline

Default WD-40 & Silicone Spray. When is one better over the other?

On Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:03:13 PM UTC-7, Holy Crikey wrote:
I have squeaking front and garage entrance door hinges in my house I
need to spray with lubrication during the winter because it gets so
loud. I used WD-40 a couple of times, but the irritating noise would
come back only after a few days.

Someone told me to give silicone spray a try, so I might do that, but
thought I'd pose a question in here to learn when using one over the
other is better.

Is metal on metal contact for WD-40 and the silicone spray for
everything else? Please clarify. Thanks!

You can use it, may have to spray it once or twice a year but Silicone Lubes will not attract dirt/dust(a problem when using grease/oil) and will keep things quiet(more than a few days). People are stating somethings that are all in the past when WD40 only had Penetrating Spray.