Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Is this true about HD ????

Joey wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
Joey wrote:

Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent
under the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly
the American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

Why do you think it has anything to do with illegal Mexicans. Home
Depot wants to meet their customer's needs. If they have
Spanish speaking customers, it only makes sense that they provide
signs for them. How does that hurt you? More business, more volume
lower prices benefit you. Do you think they are going to eliminate
the English signs?
Relax.

Joseph,

I have to agree with the majority here, they should learn English and
be here legally.

I would agree. If someone who did not speak English and lived here, I
would advise them to learn English as it would benefit them. I would not
want to force them to do so, but I do believe it would be a good idea for
them to decide to do so.

I also agree they should be here legally. However I believe that the
problem is caused primarily by the US immigration laws.

Someone wrote lettace would go up to $3 from $1,
well that's OK if their unpaid medical bills go down from $1000's to
zero. By the way, I went by my HD here in S.GA and proud to report
that a large US flag is flying in the center top of the building and
I didn't really notice any Spanish on the signs inside.......Thank
God !!!!

I can understand your pride in the flag, after all I can comment
publicly about my views on this subject in the US, something I would not be
able to do everywhere, but why pride in not having any Spanish signs?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Walter R. wrote:
Maybe a different perspective would be helpful

Most of the Western US were taken by the US from Mexico by Force.

How un-American. Killing native Americans, waging war to take lands, or
making preemptive war to secure oil is not something you are suppose to talk
about. It is not being a good American. At least it is not being a good
American if you don't believe that we as citizens have a responsibility to
be willing to question our government, not just accept it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "grabbitt" wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Apparently you confuse the names of countries and the names of continents.
I suppose that you think a South African means anyone living south of the
Sahara Desert. Ok, now I quit rolling with the pigs.

no I would call that person an African. get it yet? if you are born in
Africa you are an African. That's not too hard for you to understand is it?
Russia= Russian.
Europe=European, America=American.
Apparently you went to a govt school.

There is no continent called "America". Apparently, you didn't go to school at
all.

You're also apparently unaware that there are several nations whose official
names are "The United States of ...", of which the USA is only one. There are
also the United States of Mexico, and the United States of Brazil -- and the
citizens of the two are called "Mexicans" and "Brazilians" respectively.
People who live in the United States of America are "Americans".

Get it now?

I'd love to listen to you trying to convince a Canadian that he's an
"American". It would be even more entertaining to hear you trying to persuade
him that he's wrong, when he tells you he isn't.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "grabbitt" wrote:

[...]

Well I talked to some young Canadians some years ago who could not seem
to understand WHY Canada was not a part the USA!!! Ok, the French
Canadians would NOT stand still for this not for one second. But the
economies of Canada and the USA are so tightly bound, if we catch a
cold, they come down with the flu. If they start to have real problems,
we see the effects in the American economy.

This is the NAFTA argument. Reducing trade barriers between
Canada/USA/Mexico opens up new opportunities, more jobs, EVERYWHERE.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike2

George E. Cawthon wrote:
grabbitt wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Apparently you confuse the names of countries and the names of
continents. I suppose that you think a South African means anyone
living south of the Sahara Desert. Ok, now I quit rolling with the
pigs.

no I would call that person an African. get it yet? if you are born
in Africa you are an African. That's not too hard for you to
understand is it? Russia= Russian.
Europe=European, America=American.
Apparently you went to a govt school.

No, I went to geography class. South Africa is a country.

Lets see. Russian refers to a citizen or resident of a country.
European refers to a resident of a continent, could be any of several
different countries. American refers to a resident of a continent, but
which one?.

That's obvious, N or S; see that wasn't so hard, was it?

By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A.
are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?

obviously

Another BTW, your first statement is in obvious error. Lots of people
born in Africa were and remain, English, French, and German, all of
which could be considered European. And of course, lots of people born
in Africa of native parents or citizens of countries in Africa have
moved to other continents and become citizens of other countries and
would not be considered African. I'm not sure how you construct a more
untrue statement.

that's so convoluted I am as confused as you are now. A person born in
Africa is a European? Govt School for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike2

Doug Miller wrote:

There is no continent called "America". Apparently, you didn't go to school at
all.

never heard of N and S America, eh?

You're also apparently unaware that there are several nations whose official
names are "The United States of ...", of which the USA is only one. There are
also the United States of Mexico, and the United States of Brazil -- and the
citizens of the two are called "Mexicans" and "Brazilians" respectively.
People who live in the United States of America are "Americans".

accroding to your convoluted description then they are all Americans.
they are all Americans, get it now?
if you wish to be more descriptive then they are Mexicans, Brazilians,
and US citizens
Get it now?

I'd love to listen to you trying to convince a Canadian that he's an
"American". It would be even more entertaining to hear you trying to persuade
him that he's wrong, when he tells you he isn't.

so now you're saying Canada is not in N America?
Govt schools again.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Spike2" wrote in message

By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A.
are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?

obviously

And which immensely superior school do you believe you attended?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"MikeP" wrote in message
bal.net...
In article qnDYf.80108$UZ5.14323
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com,
says...

If you can't communicate with people,then you can't understand
them,cannot come to common ground.
Just get in a collision with a person who speaks no English,how can
you determine if they are hurt,or get DL and insurance data?
(if they have it at all,chances are that they won't.)

I've had to deal with enough Hispanics with little or no English.

Funny, that has never happened to me. I have never consider it a
problem when I have been in countries where I did not understand the
local language. I have always managed to get by.

Really? How were you at job interviews, or explaining your sick
children's symptoms and medical history to an emergency room doctor?

Gee, I don't think it is likely to happen often in the US. Do you?

Non English speaking people place a huge burden on
hospital emergency rooms in California, Texas, Florida,
New York, Illinois, Arizona .... happens thousands of
times a day.

My personal experience involving a car accident. She
spoke prefect English when she asked to use my cell
phone. When the police arrived she 'claimed' not to
speak English. Later she delayed the insurance
investigators by 'claiming' not to speak English. Her
land lord only spoke English, her employer only spoke
English and her boy friend only spoke English.... go
figure.

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Joey" wrote in message

I have to agree with the majority here, they should learn English and be
here legally. Someone wrote lettace would go up to $3 from $1, well
that's OK if their unpaid medical bills go down from $1000's to zero.
By the way, I went by my HD here in S.GA and proud to report that a large
US flag is flying in the center top of the building and I didn't really
notice any Spanish on the signs inside.......Thank God !!!!

Hopefully, we'll soon see a merger between Kroger and Blue Cross/Blue
Shield, and all will be well in the farm business.

????????????????????

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike2

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Spike2" wrote in message

By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A.
are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?

obviously

And which immensely superior school do you believe you attended?

the school of hard knocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Spike2" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
"Spike2" wrote in message

By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A.
are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?

obviously

And which immensely superior school do you believe you attended?

the school of hard knocks.

It appears you've lost any traction you believed you had earlier in this
discussion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

So is the appropriate smart-ass remark "Anecdote is not the same as
data" or some admonishment about the futility of n=1 studies (g).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

So is the appropriate smart-ass remark "Anecdote is not the same as
data" or some admonishment about the futility of n=1 studies (g).

.....which leads one to wonder where reasoning skills come from. Parents?
Schools? The passage of years?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Illogical, but I'll play anyway. Let's say that by some miracle, all
immigrants were infused with perfect English skills as they crossed the
border. Since you've said that language is the key to better jobs, perhaps
none of these people would accept farm jobs. Who do you think would fill the
void?

Talk about illogical. First of all no one is suggesting that everyone
will know upon arrival. That was never a requirement in any of the other
great waves of immigration. But the expectation was that they would
learn. Secondly "perhaps none of these would accept" farm jobs is a
strawman of Kong-like proportions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

You want supporting facts? Do you live anywhere near farms which use
seasonal laborers? Stop by during the harvest season and ask the farmer or
foreman if you can talk to some of the "American" kids from the surrounding
school districts. You'll be lucky to find any.

I don't know. Ain't nothin' but locals around here doing the
detasselling of corn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

You want supporting facts? Do you live anywhere near farms which use
seasonal laborers? Stop by during the harvest season and ask the farmer
or
foreman if you can talk to some of the "American" kids from the
surrounding
school districts. You'll be lucky to find any.

I don't know. Ain't nothin' but locals around here doing the
detasselling of corn.

What about produce that can't be removed from the plant or the ground via
machine? Who does all that work?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike2

Mys Terry wrote:
On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:46:12 -0400, Spike2 wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Spike2" wrote in message
. ..

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

I'm betting your age is a higher number!

you'd lose!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Illogical, but I'll play anyway. Let's say that by some miracle, all
immigrants were infused with perfect English skills as they crossed the
border. Since you've said that language is the key to better jobs,
perhaps
none of these people would accept farm jobs. Who do you think would fill
the
void?

Talk about illogical. First of all no one is suggesting that everyone
will know upon arrival. That was never a requirement in any of the other
great waves of immigration. But the expectation was that they would
learn. Secondly "perhaps none of these would accept" farm jobs is a
strawman of Kong-like proportions.

Let's not consider the strawman to be an evil thing in such a discussion.
People here are suggesting that the reason immigrants dominate farm labor is
because they don't speak English. It's not much of a stretch to ask "what
if?" Have you ever listened to, or read transcripts of Supreme Court
proceedings, particularly when they involve sticky legal issues that
nobody's been able to agree on, like the 2nd amendment? These proceedings
are sometimes nothing BUT strawman arguments.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

You want supporting facts? Do you live anywhere near farms which use
seasonal laborers? Stop by during the harvest season and ask the farmer
or
foreman if you can talk to some of the "American" kids from the
surrounding
school districts. You'll be lucky to find any.

I don't know. Ain't nothin' but locals around here doing the
detasselling of corn.

What about produce that can't be removed from the plant or the ground via
machine? Who does all that work?

Largely LEGAL migrant workers whose work conditions are under the
purview of the Department of Labor and federal regulations.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Let's not consider the strawman to be an evil thing in such a discussion.

Of course not. This allows to make up all sorts of impossible
scenarios that fit whatever our preconceived notions are. I will say
that you are right, and admit that immigrants will no longer pick
vegetables if you will admit that the wages associated with it will go
up to where American kids will want to do the work. Both are at least as
likel.

People here are suggesting that the reason immigrants dominate farm labor is
because they don't speak English. It's not much of a stretch to ask "what
if?" Have you ever listened to, or read transcripts of Supreme Court
proceedings, particularly when they involve sticky legal issues that
nobody's been able to agree on, like the 2nd amendment? These proceedings
are sometimes nothing BUT strawman arguments.

Hardly. They are always based on what the law says, what the
Congressional debate included, writings of learned scholars, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Let's not consider the strawman to be an evil thing in such a discussion.

Of course not. This allows to make up all sorts of impossible
scenarios that fit whatever our preconceived notions are. I will say
that you are right, and admit that immigrants will no longer pick
vegetables if you will admit that the wages associated with it will go
up to where American kids will want to do the work. Both are at least as
likel.

I suppose wages might go up, although the subsequent chain of events would
be interesting, to say the least. I'm referring to the ripple effect in
terms of food prices. People who don't allow for this possibility are
usually those who think grocers have enormous profit margins and have plenty
of room to absorb price swings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many large companies want to make all their customers feel comfortable
in their place of business. The more comfortable they are the more
they will buy, the more they buy the more people are needed to stock
the shelves and assist the customers.

Here in Canada, we have stores that try to hire people from as many
nationalities as possible to ensure that the customers feel comfortable
and can get the assistance they need.

Whistler Mountain, classed as a world premier ski resort has always had
multi-lingual signs for travellers. It only makes good business sense.

Just my two cents as a small business person.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,

I wonder if people who don't like illegals really differentiate between
legal and illegal, and view the entire group as "them damned immigrants".

Most do, some idiots don't. ALL of the Congressional debate, for
instance, deals with illegal immigrants and what we should do about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English
should be spoken here?

Because language is a Major unifying factor.
And English is THE language of business and science.

Religion is a unifying factor, do you also suggest that we should
make
religious requirements? How about what sports we like, that is also
a unifying factor, let's outlaw rowing (too English).

Except that commmunication between people is an ESSENTIAL,if you want them
to get along.

It's F-ing RUDE to move to a new country to live and expect them to
accomodate YOUR language instead of learning their language.

I don't see that anyone is asking that you accommodate anyone.

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS "accomodation".
(and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
Many large companies want to make all their customers feel comfortable
in their place of business. The more comfortable they are the more
they will buy, the more they buy the more people are needed to stock
the shelves and assist the customers.

Here in Canada, we have stores that try to hire people from as many
nationalities as possible to ensure that the customers feel comfortable
and can get the assistance they need.

Whistler Mountain, classed as a world premier ski resort has always had
multi-lingual signs for travellers. It only makes good business sense.

Just my two cents as a small business person.

Sorry. This response is too sensible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Doug Miller wrote:

There is no continent called "America". Apparently, you didn't go to
school at all.

You're also apparently unaware that there are several nations whose
official names are "The United States of ...", of which the USA is
only one. There are also the United States of Mexico, and the United
States of Brazil -- and the citizens of the two are called "Mexicans"
and "Brazilians" respectively.
People who live in the United States of America are "Americans".

Get it now?

I'd love to listen to you trying to convince a Canadian that he's an
"American". It would be even more entertaining to hear you trying to
persuade him that he's wrong, when he tells you he isn't.

Per the American Heritage Dictionary:

A·mer·i·can (.-mµr"¹-k.n) adj. Abbr. A., Amer. 1. Of or relating to the
United States of America or its people, language, or culture. 2. Of or
relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western
Hemisphere. 3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples. 4.
Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and
animals. --A·mer·i·can n. Abbr. A., Amer. 1. A native or inhabitant of
America. 2. A citizen of the United States. --A·mer"i·can·ness n.

Do read #2

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS "accomodation".
(and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

That is still a requirement for citizenship. I never had understood
that...