Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeP

Default Is this true about HD ????

In article ,
says...

"MikeP" wrote in message
bal.net...
In article qnDYf.80108$UZ5.14323
@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com,

says...

If you can't communicate with people,then you can't understand
them,cannot come to common ground.
Just get in a collision with a person who speaks no English,how can
you determine if they are hurt,or get DL and insurance data?
(if they have it at all,chances are that they won't.)

I've had to deal with enough Hispanics with little or no English.

Funny, that has never happened to me. I have never consider it a
problem when I have been in countries where I did not understand the
local language. I have always managed to get by.

Really? How were you at job interviews, or explaining your sick
children's symptoms and medical history to an emergency room doctor?

Gee, I don't think it is likely to happen often in the US. Do you?

Non English speaking people place a huge burden on
hospital emergency rooms in California, Texas, Florida,
New York, Illinois, Arizona .... happens thousands of
times a day.

My personal experience involving a car accident. She
spoke prefect English when she asked to use my cell
phone. When the police arrived she 'claimed' not to
speak English. Later she delayed the insurance
investigators by 'claiming' not to speak English. Her
land lord only spoke English, her employer only spoke
English and her boy friend only spoke English.... go
figure.

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

Thousands of times a day is more than one.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"MikeP" wrote in message
al.net...

My personal experience involving a car accident. She
spoke prefect English when she asked to use my cell
phone. When the police arrived she 'claimed' not to
speak English. Later she delayed the insurance
investigators by 'claiming' not to speak English. Her
land lord only spoke English, her employer only spoke
English and her boy friend only spoke English.... go
figure.

I suppose that one example is indicative of a trend, eh?

Thousands of times a day is more than one.

Time for some stats, please. You know....links. Or, do you have spies in
emergency rooms around the country?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English
should be spoken here?

Because language is a Major unifying factor.
And English is THE language of business and science.

Religion is a unifying factor, do you also suggest that we should
make
religious requirements? How about what sports we like, that is also
a unifying factor, let's outlaw rowing (too English).

Except that commmunication between people is an ESSENTIAL,if you want
them to get along.

A common language may help, but I have been able to get along with many
people who don't speak a language I also speak. Frankly I don't get along
with a lot of people who do speak English.

It's F-ing RUDE to move to a new country to live and expect them to
accomodate YOUR language instead of learning their language.

I don't see that anyone is asking that you accommodate anyone.

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS
"accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Joey wrote:
Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under
the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the
American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

I can confirm it. I just got back from buying an air filter at Lowes
and most of the larger permanent signs were in both languages. The font of
the Spanish was about 30% of the size of the English however.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS
"accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?
Joseph Meehan

Probably about the same as we spend on yellow signs to warn idiots that it's
a good idea to do 40 mph on a curved exit ramp, instead of 65 mph.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS "accomodation".
(and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

That is still a requirement for citizenship. I never had understood
that...

Alas, Grasshoppa. You have come up with one of the secrets of the universe.
When men ignore laws selectively, that is, observing those they like and
disregarding those they don't like, there is anarchy. Anarchy is not so
much the absence of laws, but the presence of a situation in a society where
each person can make their own laws, and not have to observe or honor any
other law.

We are on the downhill side. If the Mayan and Hopi predictions of the
ancients are true, the world will end in 2012. Live it up, people. Find
your god, be it in money or in theology. Whether the end does come by
cataclysm or internal decay, we are following EVERY great society in
history. Decay from within, and not conquest from without.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moisés Nacio

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

It is still true. How well do you understand the various ways you may
gain citizenship?

There's a difference between "earned" & "gain". Please note that I
responded to "Not true. I earned my citizenship with no language
requirement."

To earn your citizenship, is different than to gain citizenship.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote

It is still true. How well do you understand the various ways
you may gain citizenship?

There's a difference between "earned" & "gain". Please note that I
responded to "Not true. I earned my citizenship with no language
requirement."

To earn your citizenship, is different than to gain citizenship.

You are on top of things. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Moisés Nacio wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote

It is still true. How well do you understand the various ways
you may gain citizenship?

There's a difference between "earned" & "gain". Please note that I
responded to "Not true. I earned my citizenship with no language
requirement."

To earn your citizenship, is different than to gain citizenship.

You are on top of things. :-)

Joseph Meehan

Those Norwegians usually are.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here
in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be
treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to
discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or
origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an
American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance
here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an
American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have
room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we
have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American
people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Walter R. wrote:
Most of the Western US were taken by the US from Mexico by Force.

Wrong. Texas petitioned the US for statehood. Mexico didn't like it
and went to war. When we won, the treaty they signed SOLD us New
Mexico and parts west for something around $15 million, and we
split off parts of then-Texas for inclusion in various other
surrounding states.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

MikeP wrote:
My personal experience involving a car accident. She
spoke prefect English when she asked to use my cell
phone. When the police arrived she 'claimed' not to
speak English. Later she delayed the insurance
investigators by 'claiming' not to speak English. Her
land lord only spoke English, her employer only spoke
English and her boy friend only spoke English.... go
figure.

Some of them are downright arrogant about it. Many, many years ago
I was knocking on a door with my TV service caddy in view. A
neighbor came out and asked, "telEphono?" I said, "No, TELevision."
She repeated her question and I repeated my answer. She repeated
the process over and over until I said, "teleBIsion." As if she
couldn't figure out what I was talking about, she maintained her
ground until I used the Spanish pronunciation of the same damned
word.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Walter R. wrote:
Most of the Western US were taken by the US from Mexico by Force.

I see history was not your strongest subject.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve B" wrote in message
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here
in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall
be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage
to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or
origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet
an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided
allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else
also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the
American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Great. A quote from one of the biggest sources of hot air in this past
century.

Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Doug Kanter wrote:
Probably about the same as we spend on yellow signs to warn idiots that it's
a good idea to do 40 mph on a curved exit ramp, instead of 65 mph.

In Illinois that money's wasted. The IDOT posts speeds so ridiculously
that if you observe them you won't spill any of the liquid from the
martini glass on your dashboard. There's not a place in Illinois
where you can't exceed the "recommended" speed by 15 MPH without
even making tire noise. A good driver in a good car should be able
to do 70 MPH on a ramp marked 40 MPH here, barring potholes (which
for some reason are fairly scarce on exit ramps around here).

But that's a different rant.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb
Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Steve B" wrote...
[...]

Sounded pretty cool to me.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS
"accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?

What's that got to do with anything?
It is still public money that could go to better,LEGAL uses.
(considering US immigrant citizens are supposed to have basic English
skills)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

clifto wrote in
:

Doug Kanter wrote:
Probably about the same as we spend on yellow signs to warn idiots
that it's a good idea to do 40 mph on a curved exit ramp, instead of
65 mph.

In Illinois that money's wasted. The IDOT posts speeds so ridiculously
that if you observe them you won't spill any of the liquid from the
martini glass on your dashboard. There's not a place in Illinois
where you can't exceed the "recommended" speed by 15 MPH without
even making tire noise. A good driver in a good car should be able
to do 70 MPH on a ramp marked 40 MPH here, barring potholes (which
for some reason are fairly scarce on exit ramps around here).

But that's a different rant.

Of course,all vehicles on the road are NOT "good cars",many not even
"cars",but trucks or motorcycles.
Ever been on a ramp that gets tighter the further you get into the turn?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Moisés Nacio" wrote in
:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote

It is still true. How well do you understand the various ways you
may
gain citizenship?

There's a difference between "earned" & "gain". Please note that I
responded to "Not true. I earned my citizenship with no language
requirement."

To earn your citizenship, is different than to gain citizenship.

They probably "gained" it through Reagan's amnesty,that only fostered even
MORE illegal immigration.Or thru being born to an illegal who birthed
inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That scam has
gotta change.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Steve B" wrote in

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes
here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us,
he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is
an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or
birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's
becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American.
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an
American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have
room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one
language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for
but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Wise words.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 22:40:20 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

Teddy liked dogs and you don't....right?

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Doug Kanter wrote:

Great. A quote from one of the biggest sources of hot air in this past
century.

I have to admit. Next to you, he's pretty weak as a source of hot air.

How is it that you're so smart, yet we have not yet seen you do anything
newsworthy?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Spike2 wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

There is no continent called "America". Apparently, you didn't go to school

at
all.

never heard of N and S America, eh?

Certainly I have. But never one called simply "America".

You're also apparently unaware that there are several nations whose official
names are "The United States of ...", of which the USA is only one. There are
also the United States of Mexico, and the United States of Brazil -- and the
citizens of the two are called "Mexicans" and "Brazilians" respectively.
People who live in the United States of America are "Americans".

accroding to your convoluted description then they are all Americans.

Reading comprehension is not one of your strengths, I see.

they are all Americans, get it now?

No, they're not, as I said above. Re-read as necessary until you understand.

if you wish to be more descriptive then they are Mexicans, Brazilians,
and US citizens
Get it now?

I'd love to listen to you trying to convince a Canadian that he's an
"American". It would be even more entertaining to hear you trying to persuade
him that he's wrong, when he tells you he isn't.

so now you're saying Canada is not in N America?

I said nothing of the sort, as anyone with normal skills at reading and
comprehending written English will immediately recognize.

Govt schools again.

Oh, is that your explanation/excuse for your poor reading comprehension? Or is
English not your first language?

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve B" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

Great. A quote from one of the biggest sources of hot air in this past
century.

I have to admit. Next to you, he's pretty weak as a source of hot air.

How is it that you're so smart, yet we have not yet seen you do anything
newsworthy?

Steve

T. Roosevelt dragged us into a war based on pretenses that were later proven
to be false. If you think that's newsworthy and worth emulating, knock
yourself out. I'll watch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

Then why have VOTING ballots in other languages? That IS
"accomodation". (and it costs a bunch of money)
Citizens are supposed to have basic English skills.

Got any idea how much that is as a % of out total taxes paid?

What's that got to do with anything?
It is still public money that could go to better,LEGAL uses.
(considering US immigrant citizens are supposed to have basic English
skills)

I was just wondering what you considered 'a bunch of money' was and if
it is material, as you appeared to indicate.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Yanik wrote:
..Or thru being born to an illegal who
birthed inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That
scam has gotta change.

I believe that 'scam' is the law of the land. Check out the 14th
amendment.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cue

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:27:28 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

| "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here
| in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be
| treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to
| discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or
| origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an
| American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance
| here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an
| American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have
| room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we
| have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American
| people."
|
| Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Sounds good, except in 1907 people of color couldn't use the same
public toilet as white people, Irishmen could only get servant jobs,
and women couldn't vote. Times change.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
..Or thru being born to an illegal who
birthed inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That
scam has gotta change.

I believe that 'scam' is the law of the land. Check out the 14th
amendment.

I know it's law;it's time to amend the Constitution to change that;that the
child must be born to US citizens to have US citizenship.

At the time that amendment was written,we didn't have the problem of
illegal immigrants sneaking into the US so their babies born here would
give -them- US citizenship.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

Doug Kanter wrote:

Great. A quote from one of the biggest sources of hot air in this
past century.

I have to admit. Next to you, he's pretty weak as a source of hot
air.

How is it that you're so smart, yet we have not yet seen you do
anything newsworthy?

Steve

T. Roosevelt dragged us into a war based on pretenses that were later
proven to be false. If you think that's newsworthy and worth
emulating, knock yourself out. I'll watch.

"LATER proven" to be false = armchair quarterbacking.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 6 Apr 2006 01:47:23 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
..Or thru being born to an illegal who
birthed inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That
scam has gotta change.

I believe that 'scam' is the law of the land. Check out the 14th
amendment.

I know it's law;it's time to amend the Constitution to change that;that the
child must be born to US citizens to have US citizenship.

They are. A solider's child born in Germany is a U. S. citizen.
Forget amending the Constitution.

At the time that amendment was written,we didn't have the problem of
illegal immigrants sneaking into the US so their babies born here would
give -them- US citizenship.

Maybe Blackbeard, the pirate bred here before the War between the
states. He didn't sneak around the coast, but plundered the
opportunity...never considering citizenship.

Children born in the USA are documented. "If it ain't documented it
didn't happen". Born on this soil or to a USA citizen on another soil
gives you inherent rights.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Spike2 wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

grabbitt wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Apparently you confuse the names of countries and the names of
continents. I suppose that you think a South African means anyone
living south of the Sahara Desert. Ok, now I quit rolling with the
pigs.

no I would call that person an African. get it yet? if you are born
in Africa you are an African. That's not too hard for you to
understand is it? Russia= Russian.
Europe=European, America=American.
Apparently you went to a govt school.

No, I went to geography class. South Africa is a country.

Lets see. Russian refers to a citizen or resident of a country.
European refers to a resident of a continent, could be any of several
different countries. American refers to a resident of a continent,
but which one?.

That's obvious, N or S; see that wasn't so hard, was it?

By the way, what the hell is Gov't school? Most schools in the U.S.A.
are public schools, is that what you mean by gov't school?

obviously

Another BTW, your first statement is in obvious error. Lots of people
born in Africa were and remain, English, French, and German, all of
which could be considered European. And of course, lots of people
born in Africa of native parents or citizens of countries in Africa
have moved to other continents and become citizens of other countries
and would not be considered African. I'm not sure how you construct a
more untrue statement.

that's so convoluted I am as confused as you are now. A person born in
Africa is a European? Govt School for sure.

I'll repeat since you need reinforcement. Not
rolling in the mud with you!
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Spike2" wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote:

[...]

How old are you?

I believe he is just barely old enough to be a
full grown ass. Isn't this still spring break for
many?
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

clifto wrote:
Walter R. wrote:

Most of the Western US were taken by the US from Mexico by Force.

Wrong. Texas petitioned the US for statehood. Mexico didn't like it
and went to war. When we won, the treaty they signed SOLD us New
Mexico and parts west for something around $15 million, and we
split off parts of then-Texas for inclusion in various other
surrounding states.

Don't forget the Gasden purchase.
Posted to alt.home.repair
MikeP

In article ,
says...

"MikeP" wrote in message
bal.net...
In article ,
says...

Not if there are methods to do so that are cheaper/more available.
There is no incentive to look precisely because the other way is
available. Illegal immigration that is studiously ignored by government
essentially is a subsidy to farmers.
It is Econ 101.

Possible for some crops, but the fact remains that there *are* some which
are simply too delicate to be managed with machinery.

Name one crop that can not be managed with machinery
that is *required* for adequate human nutrition.

That bit about "required" is ridiculous. Do you think that if we suddenly
had a huge shortage of farm laborers, people would suddenly be prepared to
do without half the produce they're accustomed to eating?

"required" was not ridiculous and there will not be a
sudden huge shortage of farm laborers. The crops that
require hand labor would cost me more and my county
hospital tax should go down. (do taxes ever go down?)
And accustomed does not equal required.

But, I'll humor you anyway and give you a bit of an education, since you're
obviously not a gardener. There's a large category of plants which continue
producing after the first harvest. Tomatoes, cucumbers and summer squash are
three examples. And, the parts we harvest are tender and can't be beat up by
a machine. If you need to know more about this, go to Google, and search for
the words "cooperative extension" along with the name of your state. Find a
phone number and call them.

My garden does require more hand labor than the acres
of corn, cotton and grain grown within an hours drive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Jim Yanik wrote:
..Or thru being born to an illegal who
birthed inside the US,making their child a citizen automatically;That
scam has gotta change.

I believe that 'scam' is the law of the land. Check out the 14th
amendment.

The scam, at least to my mind, is that the parents get to stay
because the kid is born here. The parents should be sent home, the kid
can stay if that is their wish. The kid is welcome back any time but the
parents can't jump the queue.