Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Is this true about HD ????

Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under
the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the
American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Joey wrote:
Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under
the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the
American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

The store is in Juarez and its name is Casa Depoto.

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

HeyBub wrote:
The store is in Juarez and its name is Casa Depoto.

Now THAT's funny.

Posted to alt.home.repair
twfsa

Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to cater
to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under the
English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the American
flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Attwood

twfsa wrote:
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to cater
to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

"Its"..."there"..."to"..."lean"....the irony is too rich to pass up in
this post.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PanHandler

"Brian Attwood" wrote in message
oups.com...
twfsa wrote:
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to
cater
to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

"Its"..."there"..."to"..."lean"....the irony is too rich to pass up in
this post.

Amen. Isn't the internet a terrific place to show off your language/spelling
skills?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

twfsa wrote:
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to
cater to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

At least it has been my experience that there are more US B* that
foreign born ones. And they speak better than many US citizens.

"Joey" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent
under the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly
the American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"twfsa" wrote in message
newszsYf.4594$fS6.3135@dukeread11...
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to cater
to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four or
five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes in
restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four or
five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes in
restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

If they wouldn't learn English, I would not expect any more of them than
that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four
or five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes
in restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

If they wouldn't learn English, I would not expect any more of them than
that.

Steve

That's not the point! If we do what some would like, and eliminate or
severely curtail the flow of "illegals" into this country, how do you think
we'd replace the labor that they're willing to do? Or, to put it another
way, your 16 year old kid says "Dad, I just got a job. I'll be bent over in
the sun for 10 hours a day, swinging a very sharp knife at brocolli stems
right near my ankles. The crops are sprayed with some sort of chemical a few
days before they're picked, but the guy at the interview said the stuff was
safe to touch. It's four bucks an hour".

You OK with this scenario?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,

That's not the point! If we do what some would like, and eliminate or
severely curtail the flow of "illegals" into this country, how do you think
we'd replace the labor that they're willing to do? Or, to put it another
way, your 16 year old kid says "Dad, I just got a job. I'll be bent over in
the sun for 10 hours a day, swinging a very sharp knife at brocolli stems
right near my ankles. The crops are sprayed with some sort of chemical a few
days before they're picked, but the guy at the interview said the stuff was
safe to touch. It's four bucks an hour".

You OK with this scenario?

This is BS. Four things would happen. For some of the jobs, Americans
would fill them at the same wage. For others, Americans would fill them
for more money (and the costs of those would go up). Some would be to a
greater or lesser degree mechanized and the rest would disappear.
Probably the latter would be mechanized.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"twfsa" wrote in message
newszsYf.4594$fS6.3135@dukeread11...
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to
cater to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four or
five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes in
restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

If I had no other way to feed my family, yes I'd work for 4 or 5 bucks an
hour. No, it's better a portion of our society has the mentality not to work
for minimum wages so they sponge off the rest of the taxpayers by collecting
welfare. If they were told they have to do these jobs before they received
all the freebies they get then we'd have people to do those jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"twfsa" wrote in message
newszsYf.4594$fS6.3135@dukeread11...
Its bad enough those *******s are here illegally, and now we have to
cater to them because there to ****in lazy to lean the language.

Tom

Would you or your children be interested in picking vegetables for four
or five bucks an hour? How about cleaning hotel rooms, or washing dishes
in restaurant kitchens for minimum wage (if you're lucky)?

If I had no other way to feed my family, yes I'd work for 4 or 5 bucks an
hour. No, it's better a portion of our society has the mentality not to
work for minimum wages so they sponge off the rest of the taxpayers by
collecting welfare. If they were told they have to do these jobs before
they received all the freebies they get then we'd have people to do those
jobs.

If, by some miracle, all "illegal" immigrants were stopped at border, or
deported, you and/or your kids would have no choice but to take these farm
jobs, eventually, unless you thing cucumbers are going to dance into baskets
without help. THAT is the point here. Give most teens the choice of working
in a nice air conditioned supermarket, or breaking their backs in a field,
and I'm pretty sure they'll choose the supermarket (or mall, etc).

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

If I had no other way to feed my family, yes I'd work for 4 or 5 bucks an
hour. No, it's better a portion of our society has the mentality not to
work for minimum wages so they sponge off the rest of the taxpayers by
collecting welfare. If they were told they have to do these jobs before
they received all the freebies they get then we'd have people to do those
jobs.

If, by some miracle, all "illegal" immigrants were stopped at border, or
deported, you and/or your kids would have no choice but to take these farm
jobs, eventually, unless you thing cucumbers are going to dance into
baskets without help. THAT is the point here. Give most teens the choice
of working in a nice air conditioned supermarket, or breaking their backs
in a field, and I'm pretty sure they'll choose the supermarket (or mall,
etc).

And what about the people on the public dole? Many of them are physically
able to work but don't because the checks keep coming in. What if you told
them they had to work the fields in order to get the handouts? They'd have
no choice if the checks stopped. And no, I'm not talking about sick,
handicapped, mentally ill, etc. I'm talking about able people who do nothing
but milk the system.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Illogical, but I'll play anyway. Let's say that by some miracle, all
immigrants were infused with perfect English skills as they crossed the
border. Since you've said that language is the key to better jobs, perhaps
none of these people would accept farm jobs. Who do you think would fill the
void?

Talk about illogical. First of all no one is suggesting that everyone
will know upon arrival. That was never a requirement in any of the other
great waves of immigration. But the expectation was that they would
learn. Secondly "perhaps none of these would accept" farm jobs is a
strawman of Kong-like proportions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Joey wrote:
Hi all,

Just heard on the Fox news that they reported a Home Depot store that
required (1) all inside signs had to have the Spanish equalivent under
the English heading and (2) it was against store policy to fly the
American flag anywhere on the store property.

Enough is enough about the illegal Mexicans but has anyone heard this
about HD ?

Why do you think it has anything to do with illegal Mexicans. Home
Depot wants to meet their customer's needs. If they have Spanish speaking
customers, it only makes sense that they provide signs for them. How does
that hurt you? More business, more volume lower prices benefit you. Do you
think they are going to eliminate the English signs?

Relax.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

Why do you think it has anything to do with illegal Mexicans. Home
Depot wants to meet their customer's needs. If they have Spanish speaking
customers, it only makes sense that they provide signs for them. How does
that hurt you? More business, more volume lower prices benefit you. Do
you think they are going to eliminate the English signs?

Relax.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your native
language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives. My parents,
their families and millions of others came here many years ago. They had to
learn the language and went to night schools to do so. They still spoke
their native tongues at home but learned to read and write English and
always spoke to the children in English. We have immigrants from many parts
of the world. Why not have signs in their languages? We have Russian,
Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. Why do we pander to the Hispanics? Why do
we have to pay for bilingual teachers to accomadate them when we can't
afford to hire English speaking teachers to educate our children?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

"JerryL" wrote in message
This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your native
language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives. My parents,
their families and millions of others came here many years ago. They had
to learn the language and went to night schools to do so. They still spoke
their native tongues at home but learned to read and write English and
always spoke to the children in English. We have immigrants from many
parts of the world. Why not have signs in their languages? We have
Russian, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. Why do we pander to the
Hispanics? Why do we have to pay for bilingual teachers to accomadate them
when we can't afford to hire English speaking teachers to educate our
children?

I can tell you have never been to Chinatown in NYC. Street signs there are
bilingual.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
grabbitt

"JerryL" wrote in message
This is America. English is spoken here.

the Latinos that come here to the US are from "America". South America,
Central America. They speak other languages. I agree English is spoken
mostly in the US but we [US] don't own the word "America". We are all
"Americans" [yes that includes Canadians]
[soapbox mode off]

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

grabbitt wrote:
"JerryL" wrote in message

This is America. English is spoken here.

the Latinos that come here to the US are from "America". South America,
Central America. They speak other languages. I agree English is spoken
mostly in the US but we [US] don't own the word "America". We are all
"Americans" [yes that includes Canadians]
[soapbox mode off]

Not true and you know it. America is an
abbreviation of the United States of America. No
other country in North, Central, or South American
have "American" in the title of the country. So
it is quite clear when when says "America" they
mean the USA. If you don't want to believe that
you are just being obtuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spike2

George E. Cawthon wrote:
grabbitt wrote:

"JerryL" wrote in message

This is America. English is spoken here.

the Latinos that come here to the US are from "America". South
America, Central America. They speak other languages. I agree
English is spoken mostly in the US but we [US] don't own the word
"America". We are all "Americans" [yes that includes Canadians]
[soapbox mode off]

Not true and you know it.

no I don't

America is an abbreviation of the United
States of America.

no it is not

No other country in North, Central, or South
American have "American" in the title of the country. So it is quite
clear when when says "America" they mean the USA.

not to anyone in the rest of the "Americas" outside of the US

If you don't want to
believe that you are just being obtuse.

United States of "America" is one of many countries in the "Americas".
Try telling someone from any other country in the "Americas" that they
are not "American" and see how far you get with them. You are the one
that is obtuse and US centric. We are all "Americans" whether you like
it or not
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your native
language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only English
should be spoken here?

BTW my "native" language would be Irish Gaelic, but frankly I don't know
it well enough to speak it.

My
parents, their families and millions of others came here many years
ago. They had to learn the language and went to night schools to do
so.

So what did they do before they learned English? Most Spanish speakers
in the US are learning or already know English. However I see no reason to
demand it. It should be their choice. I believe the US is known as the land
of the free. That freedom I would guess should also include freedom of
speech and I don't recall the freedom of speech being restricted to English.

They still spoke their native tongues at home but learned to read
and write English and always spoke to the children in English. We
have immigrants from many parts of the world. Why not have signs in
their languages? We have Russian, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.
Why do we pander to the Hispanics?

I have seen signs in Russian and some Asian languages in the US.

Why do we have to pay for
bilingual teachers to accomadate them when we can't afford to hire
English speaking teachers to educate our children?

That does sound hateful.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
JerryL wrote:

[...]

This is America. Love it or leave it. If you love it, learn to speak at
least conversational English within one year. If you can't, you are so
stupid that you won't make a good citizen anyway. There is no reason for us
to provide you with literature and signs in your native language.
Especially for those of you who have been here for ten years, and still
can't speak English.

Not hateful, just the facts, maam.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Immigrants whether illegal or legal have to realize that
english IS the common language here. If they want to
get ANYWHERE they need to speak it fluently. Otherwise
they'll ALWAYS be illegal workers that'll eventually
be a burden on the US TAX PAYER.

Business here is done in english, simple as that.
Offering educations in various languages without
priority given to english will screw lots of kids as
they grow up. Its good that colleges dont have to
obey the same crap public schools do.

I would love to see a Harvard professor have to translate
a lesson to paco because he cant speak english! BAHAHA

Speak your native tounge at home with your siblings/elders.
When out in public, talk the native language.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Steve B" wrote in message

This is America. Love it or leave it. If you love it, learn to speak at
least conversational English within one year. If you can't, you are so
stupid that you won't make a good citizen anyway. There is no reason for
us to provide you with literature and signs in your native language.
Especially for those of you who have been here for ten years, and still
can't speak English.

Not hateful, just the facts, maam.

Steve

The "fact" is that the best time to learn language is from birth to age
8-ish, although some people have a unique knack for it for their entire
lives. New languages can be a bitch to learn, and lame attitudes toward
immigrants don't help at all. The best way to learn is through immersion -
being dumped right into a new language environment where you have no choice.

Just the facts. If you doubt them, call your nearest school and ask to speak
to an experienced speech therapist. You won't do that, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

JerryL wrote:

[...]

Good idea, maybe you should leave? Why do you want those who disagree
with your prejudice should leave?

If you love it, learn to
speak at least conversational English within one year.

So you think it is wrong to offer signs in Spanish for those who are
hear less than one year?

If you can't,
you are so stupid that you won't make a good citizen anyway.

If we think you are not a good citizen, should we tell you to leave?

There
is no reason for us to provide you with literature and signs in your
native language.

The question was about Home Depot providing the signs. No one is asking
you to. Why do you feel the way you do? Do you fear something.

Especially for those of you who have been here for
ten years, and still can't speak English.

Not hateful, just the facts, maam.

How is your opinion that certain people should leave a fact? It may be
a fact that someone does not know English, but what that means about their
right to remain in this country is opinion not fact. Do you need a
definition of fact in another language?

Steve

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your native
language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only English
should be spoken here?

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more
problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in
China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language
of business and commerce.
Don't have any problem with people speaking Esperanto if they want
to amongst their friends, relatives, etc. But English is still the main
language and for assimilation purposes, people need to speak it.

So what did they do before they learned English? Most Spanish speakers
in the US are learning or already know English. However I see no reason to
demand it. It should be their choice. I believe the US is known as the land
of the free. That freedom I would guess should also include freedom of
speech and I don't recall the freedom of speech being restricted to

English.
How you get that, from the constitution, is beyond comprehension,.

Why do we have to pay for
bilingual teachers to accomadate them when we can't afford to hire
English speaking teachers to educate our children?

That does sound hateful.

There are a number of studies showing that getting non-English
speaking kids out of bilingual classes and into English only schools
increases their grades, etc. Bilingual teaching is a method of
ghettoization.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English should be spoken here?

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more
problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in
China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language
of business and commerce.
Don't have any problem with people speaking Esperanto if they want
to amongst their friends, relatives, etc. But English is still the
main language and for assimilation purposes, people need to speak it.

But why does it concern you? If they think it makes life easier to
them, they will learn. What other things would you want to change about
them? I wonder what they might want to change about you? IMO Diversity is
one thing that makes a great country. The fear and hate of diversity is what
makes a terrible country.

[...]

I might suggest that the question was about signs at Home Depot.

I think that the question of public education should be reviewed.

I might also remind you of the treatment of Native Americans in this
country and forcing their children to not only learn English, but punishing
them for using their native languages. To me that was a truly ugly part of
our history. I see much of the same attitudes showing up here.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English should be spoken here?

Because if people don't speak AT LEAST English, then they have more
problems getting around, communicating with people, etc. Heck even in
China, they are teaching almost everyone English as it is the language
of business and commerce.

All that may be true, but don't you think it should be their business
not yours?

[...]

So? What is your point?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Kurt Ullman :

There are a number of studies showing that getting non-English
speaking kids out of bilingual classes and into English only schools
increases their grades, etc.

That's more of an indictment of the US school system's ability to
give high grades to functional illiterates.

Bilingual teaching is a method of ghettoization.

The exact opposite.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English
should be spoken here?

Because language is a Major unifying factor.
And English is THE language of business and science.

It's F-ing RUDE to move to a new country to live and expect them to
accomodate YOUR language instead of learning their language.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

JerryL wrote:

This is America. English is spoken here. You want to speak your
native language, speak it at home amongst your friends and
relatives.

So are many other languages spoken here. Why do you think only
English
should be spoken here?

Because language is a Major unifying factor.
And English is THE language of business and science.

Religion is a unifying factor, do you also suggest that we should make
religious requirements? How about what sports we like, that is also a
unifying factor, let's outlaw rowing (too English).

It's F-ing RUDE to move to a new country to live and expect them to
accomodate YOUR language instead of learning their language.

I don't see that anyone is asking that you accommodate anyone. I
suspect that most would prefer that you keep out of their business totally.

The question was about HD who put bilingual signs in their store. The
only apparent reason was to increase their sales and profit. BTW I have
seen it in many other stores.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"JerryL" wrote in message

My parents, their families and millions of others came here many years
ago. They had to learn the language and went to night schools to do so.

While they were learning, did they have servants to venture out into the
world for them to buy food, or did they find merchants who spoke their
native language?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JerryL" wrote in message

My parents, their families and millions of others came here many years
ago. They had to learn the language and went to night schools to do so.

While they were learning, did they have servants to venture out into the
world for them to buy food, or did they find merchants who spoke their
native language?

In those days, people with similar languages or that came from similar
countries used to settle in certain areas so that you could always find
someone that spoke your language. I remember as a kid going into stores and
when the storekeeper starting speaking their native tongue to my mother, she
would reply "Speak English or we will never learn how to".