Puddin' Man

Default Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

TIA,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Stormin Mormon

A lot depends on the humidity in your area. If it's dry, the roof wet will
help a lot.

Might also want to consider a sprayer to spray cold water on the outdoor AC
(get your AC guy in on the plans). If there is little evaporation, that
might lower the temp of the outdoor unit, and help system that way.

White curtains in the south and side windows to help block out the
"greenhouse effect". White exterior paint. Well, maybe not for brick but....

Wish I was closer, I'd offer to come out and look at the system for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Dobony

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Lack of a hose or sprinkler? Can you shade the condenser? How about a fine
mist on the condenser to remove more heat from the condenser? Do you have a
basement? One tirck I use is to put the fan in the "ON" position and I also
have cold air returns in the basement. This helps bring the cool basement
air upstairs. If you're outa work, how about spending the day at Walmart?

TIA,
Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;

Phil Yarbrough

Why not just fix the leak in the A/C.?

HeyBub

Puddin' Man wrote:
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

It don't cost nothin' to try...

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

It will work just fine, spray the roof till they come and install a meter!
With fine thinking like that, Bush is gonna come knockin at your door when
Greenspan retires but you'll be watchin stolen cable tv or too drunk to
answer the door and accept the appointment.
I love the comment about spending the day at wallmart but he prob already
does, as an employee get paid next to nothing in sinking american dollars.
This guys represents all that is great about americans! Lazy, broke,
cunning. Anyone want to ad to the list?

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Puddin' Man wrote:
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

It don't cost nothin' to try...

Hound Dog

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in
message ...
It will work just fine, spray the roof till they come and install a meter!
With fine thinking like that, Bush is gonna come knockin at your door when
Greenspan retires but you'll be watchin stolen cable tv or too drunk to
answer the door and accept the appointment.
I love the comment about spending the day at wallmart but he prob already
does, as an employee get paid next to nothing in sinking american dollars.
This guys represents all that is great about americans! Lazy, broke,
cunning. Anyone want to ad to the list?

How about too generous at allowing foreigners into our country to share our
horrible life.

Doug Miller

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Puddin' Man writes:

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Physics.

I guess evaporative cooling doesn't work on your planet.

--
Regards,

Bishoop

snip

This guys represents all that is great about americans! Lazy, broke,
cunning. Anyone want to ad to the list?

He kinda sounds like those fine Canadian Indians I see when I'm up in
Ontario fishing....only they're too drunk all the time to be cunning.

JRanieri

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Couple thoughts: Why bother cooling off the whole house when the only thing
that really needs cooling is _you_? With that in mind, leave the cold water
running in the shower and stay in there during the hottest part of the day.

Or - a looping configuration of copper pipes encircling the La-Z-Boy with
constant cool water circulation?

Just brainstorming here.

Puddin' Man

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 23:49:27 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

A lot depends on the humidity in your area. If it's dry, the roof wet will
help a lot.
Might also want to consider a sprayer to spray cold water on the outdoor AC
(get your AC guy in on the plans). If there is little evaporation, that
might lower the temp of the outdoor unit, and help system that way.

White curtains in the south and side windows to help block out the
"greenhouse effect". White exterior paint. Well, maybe not for brick but....

The house fries mostly 'cause of the sun on the dark-brown shingles.

Wish I was closer, I'd offer to come out and look at the system for you.

Thanks, but there's not much to it. Just a little brick
bungalow in the sun.

Puddin'

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

************************************************* *****
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************* *****;

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Puddin' Man

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:52:48 GMT, "Phil Yarbrough"
wrote:

Why not just fix the leak in the A/C.?

1.) It's a Carrier, circa 1984, with long lines
from the A-coil. I tried for years: it don't
fix.
2.) Can't afford the elec. bill. I can run it
a tiny bit, but now way all day/evening.

Puddin'

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;
Matt

Couple thoughts: Why bother cooling off the whole house when the only thing
that really needs cooling is _you_? With that in mind, leave the cold water
running in the shower and stay in there during the hottest part of the day.

Or - a looping configuration of copper pipes encircling the La-Z-Boy with
constant cool water circulation?

Just brainstorming here.

Why not combine these two ideas? Strap the wookie
(http://www.passedoutwookies.com/) down in his la z boy, and connect
one copper tube to his neck, another one at his foot. Route the one
coming out his foot to a floor drain, and the one going in his neck to
the water supply; turn water on.

Puddin' Man

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:34:39 -0500, "Mike Dobony"
wrote:

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
. ..
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Lack of a hose or sprinkler?

More like I haven't figgered how to mount sprinklers/hose
on the roof.

Can you shade the condenser? How about a fine
mist on the condenser to remove more heat from the condenser?

Wouldn't hep' that much. Can't afford to run the AC much ...

Do you have a
basement?

Si, senor.

One tirck I use is to put the fan in the "ON" position and I also
have cold air returns in the basement. This helps bring the cool basement
air upstairs.

Interesting. I don't have any returns in the bsmt, but I
'spose I could cut some.

If you're outa work, how about spending the day at Walmart?

Tell the truth: are those folks human?? :-)

Seriously, I'm pushing 60 and have some physical problems.
Can no way stay on my feet all day.

Puddin' Man wrote:
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

[snip]
What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Nothing, but don't expect much.

It's a strong function of the temperature of your
water coming out of the hose, which is probably a
bit under 70F if your lucky. But it will take ALOT
of water, and flowing pretty quickly. It will
also tend to cool the peak of the roof the most.
It's also hard as heck on the shingles. Do you
have any roof ventilation? That's gonna help
the most.

Planting grass up there would probably do more,
but the roof probably can't take the weight.

JRanieri

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Couple thoughts: Why bother cooling off the whole house when the only

thing
that really needs cooling is _you_? With that in mind, leave the cold

water
running in the shower and stay in there during the hottest part of the

day.

Or - a looping configuration of copper pipes encircling the La-Z-Boy with
constant cool water circulation?

Just brainstorming here.

Why not combine these two ideas? Strap the wookie
(http://www.passedoutwookies.com/) down in his la z boy, and connect
one copper tube to his neck, another one at his foot. Route the one
coming out his foot to a floor drain, and the one going in his neck to
the water supply; turn water on.

Actually, just coiling the copper pipe around Puddin's neck - much like the
rings worn by certain African tribeswomen- would probably keep him cool.
Fitting the copper to a lengthy flexible hose would also allow him the
mobility to leave his La-Z-Boy to make sandwiches and such.

Drainage may be problematic, though.

you might try finding insulating materials to stuff in your attic ( any
excess could be stuffed up Raid's "grand canyon". Also you might
attack a pinhole orafice ( trying different sizes till you get good
cooling with a minium af water ) to a hose and put it on the suction
side of a fan, it takes alot of heat energy to change liquid water to
gaseous water, much more than you might think. Or you might use a
wetted cloth, but it would reduce airflow and might be hard to keep
properly wetted. There are commercial units like for industrial spaces
that that make great claims. good luck

Terry

"Bishoop" wrote in message

He kinda sounds like those fine Canadian Indians I see when I'm up in
Ontario fishing....only they're too drunk all the time to be cunning.

You mean we let you in to Canada? After all those things being said about
'furriners' and 'illegal migrants'. I guess we must like you spending those
strong (i.e. expensive) US dollars. Fishing must be better up here?

However; springing to the defence of any/all Canadians, since we ARE a
multicultural/multi-ethic country; that comment could be construed as
racist; on two counts.

At very least iyt is not nice and stereotypes a whole group.

It does not belong on this 'Home repair group' any more than a Canadian
commenting, here, on say Iraq or Viet Nam. There other more suitable forums
for that.

Unfortunately we are, on occasion, being told how to think by our more
numerous cousins in that smaller country to our south! No; not Mexico,
amigo. How would Americans like it if other nations used an expression such
as, "Those know it all Yanks"?

With the present air of protectionism and being in a state of siege within
the borders of the USA we understand that you must make sure you have your
American passport to get back into the "Good O'l US of A"?

Warm regards: Northern neighbour.

PS. If your friends can't make a comment who can? No ill will intended.

News

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:15:00 -0700, M Q

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Puddin' Man writes:

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would keep po' me
from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2 on the roof, running them
with a garden hose, say, from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house,
which retains heat like crazy)??

Physics.

That scheme is unlikely to be efficient, with lots of thermal

resistance
(insulation) between the living space and the roof, and it's the wrong
time of day to collect coolth, but Harry Thomason did something like

this

I believe that, rather than collecting coolth, he is trying to reduce
the infiltration of heat during the day.

You are correct, Kind Sir.

He is not trying to collect
the runoff water, which has been heated, not cooled. It doesn't cool the

house,
but just reduces the solar heating.

You are again correct, Kind Sir.

It would be more effective if
you have minimal ceiling insulation and minimal venting between the

insulation
and the roof (as is often the case in many "flat" roof houses).

Not the case. Standard-looking gable roof, R-30 insulation.
Little exhaust fan doesn't cool crawl-space much. Whole-house
fan is not used except late at nite and very early in the morn.

I'm still inclined to think that drastic reduction of solar
heat on roof surface would be very helpful.

Lots of folks water their lawns/gardens. I just wanna water
my po' scorchingly-hot roof. :-)

Anybody got ideas on how to mount, say, 2 sprinklers and
a hose on a gable roof without piercing any shingles?

In Spain & Portugal, stallholders use water running down the canvas stall
canopies, collect the water in a tank and pump it up again. It really does
cool it underneath. That is a fabric tent like roof. It must make a
difference on any roof though. How much, well I don't know.

Heavy insulation to keep the heat out must be a good thing.

toby savitz

In some cases spraying water on your a/c will benefit performance
however it can cause the system to over condense resulting in low head
pressure causing evaporator to frost over doing more harm than good.

toby savitz

Shut off power supply to condenser and try washing out coil carefully
not to bend coil fins

toller

Well you might try getting off your ass and get a job!

Sorry; I am sure you didn't need that.

Richard J Kinch

Doug Miller writes:

I guess ...

Begone, inimical troll.
TURTLE

wrote in message

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Puddin' Man writes:

[...]

Fool.

The roof is not designed for that - for continuous watering.
COUNT on it that you will destroy the roof.

It's designed to get rained on SOMETIMES, not ALWAYS.

Paul

This is Turtle.

Good now we have heard from the alt.hvac Troll and give out his fool words for
today.

TURTLE

It would be easier for you to live in your basement during the summer.

Plant trees around the house. In 10 years from now when you go insane
from the heat the house will have lots of shade.

rick wrote:

I discovered the first summer that just a simple $10.00 oscillating
water sprinkler on the roof durring the hottest part of the day worked
wonders ( gave the kids something to play under also).

You might collect the water in a pool with a $40 400'x1/2" pipe spiral
to preheat water for showers...

Nick

JustDave

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

'allo,

I belong to little brick bungalow in a midwest city,
built in 1954. Shingled roof.

It gets hot as hell here in the summertime (it's already
here). Sun pounds down on little house unmercifully.

Outa work for years, I gotta budget so tight it makes
the proverbial cat's arse ('scuse my French) look
like the Grand Canyon.

I just put my last 3 lbs of R-22 in my 21-year-old
condensing unit (which is about to roll over and die
a horrible, horrible death).

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Here in Florida your roof would be covered with an ugly thick coat of gunky,
slippery green slime (mildew? algae?) in about a month.

JustDave

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

http://mirror.lerfjhax.com/www.eng.u.../~gmilburn/ac/

Puddin' Man

On 10 Jun 2005 08:06:48 -0700, wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

[snip]
What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Nothing, but don't expect much.

It's a strong function of the temperature of your
water coming out of the hose, which is probably a
bit under 70F if your lucky. But it will take ALOT
of water, and flowing pretty quickly. It will
also tend to cool the peak of the roof the most.
It's also hard as heck on the shingles. Do you
have any roof ventilation? That's gonna help
the most.

Yeah, there's an exhaust fan up there ...

I dunno anybody understands. On a clear 90+ degree
day, the shingles get more-or-less too hot to touch.
I can direct the garden hose on 'em and the steam
just rolls off ...

I think it's the extreme heat that fries the shingles
(dries 'em out, curls 'em, etc). Will assume that they'd
last longer 'till I have evidence to the contrary.

Still haven't figgered how to rig a cheap system.
Can't be too obvious or expensive: water dept. may
well shut me down.

Puddin'

Puddin' Man wrote:

They don't meter the water supply here.

What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

--

Well can you get an old automobile radiator? If the water is
cool enough you can run hoses to the radiator, (inlet at the

--

FF

Goedjn

I folllow your argument. But to use colder water from the house
supply to circulate through the car radiator gizmo where will this
water go to? Certainly potable water is too precious to let it run to
waste or even to over water the lawn. A simpler and more effective
patch would be to put a block of ice infront of the fan.

OP claimed that his water was not metered, and there's apparently
enough of it so that he was considering dumping it on his roof,
to cool that off. (which he could still do, actually...)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if a vortex-tube
will work on water, or does it only work on gasses?