Puddin' Man

On 10 Jun 2005 08:06:48 -0700, wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
Insane House Cool-Down Scheme

[snip]
What (aside from sanity, which I do not possess) would
keep po' me from somehow mounting a sprinkler or 2
on the roof, running them with a garden hose, say,
from 11 AM to 7 PM (to cool the house, which retains
heat like crazy)??

Nothing, but don't expect much.

It's a strong function of the temperature of your
water coming out of the hose, which is probably a
bit under 70F if your lucky. But it will take ALOT
of water, and flowing pretty quickly. It will
also tend to cool the peak of the roof the most.
It's also hard as heck on the shingles. Do you
have any roof ventilation? That's gonna help
the most.

Yeah, there's an exhaust fan up there ...

I dunno anybody understands. On a clear 90+ degree
day, the shingles get more-or-less too hot to touch.
I can direct the garden hose on 'em and the steam
just rolls off ...

I think it's the extreme heat that fries the shingles
(dries 'em out, curls 'em, etc). Will assume that they'd
last longer 'till I have evidence to the contrary.

Still haven't figgered how to rig a cheap system.
Can't be too obvious or expensive: water dept. may
well shut me down.

Puddin'

Planting grass up there would probably do more,
but the roof probably can't take the weight.

*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***