Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well these leads plug into the ear sockets with little plugs, assuming
they are wired the sam, it should be a simple continuity job.

Most of those phones came with silly din plugs on the end as I recall.

The 414s originally came with DIN speaker plugs, but they changed to jacks
quite some time ago.

It really does not matter how you do it of course as long as the
transducers are in phase at the end with two leads to earth of the plug.

Well yes, that's what this thread has been about!

While on the subject of these open back phones. I have a set of 414s and
need new ear cushions for them. anyone know if they can still be bought?

I recently bought new muffs for a pair of 414s from Canford.

David.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

On 14/05/2011 13:46, Patrick wrote:
On 13:22 14 May 2011, Martin Brown wrote:

On 14/05/2011 12:54, Patrick wrote:
On 12:44 14 May 2011, Phil Allison wrote:

"Patrick"

I have some vinatge headphones (Sennheiser HD424) and want to
attach a new plug.

Which color wires are the positive ones?

Are you familiar with decoding these red& blue and black& yellow
headphone wires?

I would hazard a guess red, yellow are positive and blue, black
negative. But why didn't you make a note of where the cables were
connected when you took the original apart?

There are only four wires as two trivially distinct pairs - the worst
that can happen is you need to flip a pair if you choose incorrectly.

Years ago someone wired up these headphones to a 1/4 inch plug and they
they say they don't know what polarity meant. There's no point following
their clueless wiring.

Out of phase headphone transducers create a far more subtle adverse
effect than that noticed in loudspeakers, so it is not something
immediately evident by A-B testing. Nor is testing necessary if someone
here knows what the color coding is.

A pair of headphones with incorrect phasing is about as obvious as being
hit on the head with a brick. Amplifier to mono and try listening to
something. If you have it right the sound source will appear to be very
close to the middle of your head and if not it will be in different
places or spread out depending on the frequency.

If you can't tell the difference you don't deserve a hifi system.

You could always look at the cables at the transducer end.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Patrick wrote:
Black and blue are the commons. Not that it would make any difference
if you commoned red and yellow.

You can check for sure by unplugging the leads from each actual
earpiece (red and blue plugs), but be careful to pull on the actual
plug only. The pins are of slightly different sizes.

Hope you have a source of the muffs for these - they crumble to dust
quite quickly.

You must know the headphones well because I had long forgotten the leads
plugged into the earpieces. I didn't realize the mini plugs were keyed
to go in only one way around. With that info I could have continuity
tested the colored leads to each of the larger pins on the plugs but
you saved me doing that becauase you have given me the color coding
too. Thank you.

They were standard issue (for some things) in the BBC when I worked there
many many years ago

You're right about the muffs crumbling. I threw them out. First I'll
see what the cans sound like now and then decide if it's worth getting
new muffs.

I still quite like them for where an open backed design is suitable.

It's been instructive to see how many people misunderstood what the
original question was trying to solve and they gave obviously useless,
if not misleading, advice. It's never been the same since Eternal
September.

Phil tends to be rude to everyone. And everything to him is black and
white. But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
David Looser wrote:
The 414s originally came with DIN speaker plugs, but they changed to
jacks quite some time ago.

DIN plugs with a socket on the back so they could be inserted 'in line'
with other pairs. And a 1/4" stereo jack plug Y adaptor.

--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Martin Brown"

Some ****** wrote:

Out of phase headphone transducers create a far more subtle adverse
effect than that noticed in loudspeakers, so it is not something
immediately evident by A-B testing. Nor is testing necessary if someone
here knows what the color coding is.

A pair of headphones with incorrect phasing is about as obvious as being
hit on the head with a brick.

** ROTFLMAO !!!

Amplifier to mono and try listening to something. If you have it right the
sound source will appear to be very close to the middle of your head and
if not it will be in different places or spread out depending on the
frequency.

If you can't tell the difference you don't deserve a hifi system.

** LOL.

You could always look at the cables at the transducer end.

** Just might be that the transducers are mis-wired.

As someone who does repairs for a living - I learnt LONG ago to expect
the unexpected.

Murphy RULES !!!!!

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Dave Plowman (Nutcase)"

Phil tends to be rude to everyone. And everything to him is black and
white.

** My colour vision is perfect.

But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

** Not with a ** MONO ** signal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many others here, with far more insight than a jerk like you, have
agreed.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
** Just might be that the transducers are mis-wired.

Highly unlikey with AKG. On this design, the leads plug into the
transducers. One reason they were so popular for pro use - they unplug
rather than break if strained.

--
*If PROGRESS is for advancement, what does that make CONGRESS mean?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Dave Plowman (Nutcase )

** Just might be that the transducers are mis-wired.

Highly unlikey with AKG.

** Irrelevant.

Only ONE ear unit is involved.

** This * steaming great * RETARDED ****wit did not read what I wrote.

" As someone who does repairs for a living - I learnt LONG ago to expect
the unexpected. Murphy RULES !!!!! "

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:

"Dave Plowman (Nutcase )

** Just might be that the transducers are mis-wired.

Highly unlikey with AKG.

** Irrelevant.

Only ONE ear unit is involved.

So?

On this design, the leads plug into the
transducers.

** This * steaming great * RETARDED ****wit did not read what I wrote.

" As someone who does repairs for a living - I learnt LONG ago to
expect the unexpected. Murphy RULES !!!!! "

You obviously don't know these particular headphones. I do.

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

** Not with a ** MONO ** signal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many others here, with far more insight than a jerk like you, have
agreed.

You have little idea about the variations between humans. To know this,
you have to be one yourself.

--
*Rehab is for quitters

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Ain't it just amazing !!

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommer******"
"Meat Plow"

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

He knows nothing and understands even less.
I want the lunatic jerk kicked right off usenet.
Who will help me ?

If the "lunatic jerk" you're referring to is yourself... I'd say

everyone
in this group.

** Ain't it just amazing !!

If you go after ONE troll, the rest of the ****s come in and gang up on
you.

So you gotta take the WHOLE lot on, all at once.

What a bunch of gutless, fascist pricks they are.

Are you being serious? Or is this an attempt at "humour"?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
As many others here, with far more insight than a jerk like you, have
agreed.

Most people around the world agree you're a prat - so why suddenly believe
them?

--
*The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Dave Plowman (Nutcase)"

Phil tends to be rude to everyone. And everything to him is black and
white.

** My colour vision is perfect.

But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

** Not so with a ** MONO ** signal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many others here, with far more insight than a

****ING JERK like you, have agreed.

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio
No Name

"Patrick" wrote in message
I have some vinatge headphones (Sennheiser HD424) and want to attach a new
plug.

Which color wires are the positive ones?

The colors in one of the leads are red & blue and in the other lead black
&
yellow. (No wire is used as screening - there's just two wires in each
lead.)

Hello Patrick.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/old_manual.nsf/resources/HD_424_oNr_1082_Sp3.pdf/$File/HD_424_oNr_1082_Sp3.pdf

Left ear: Yellow is + and Black is -
Right ear: Red is + and Blue is -

Kindest regards.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

On May 15, 12:45*am, "David Looser"
wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message

While on the subject of these open back phones. I have a set of 414s and
need new ear cushions for them. anyone know if they can still be bought?

I recently bought new muffs for a pair of 414s from Canford.

I wonder if they will last any longer than the originals. At 6.66 UKP
periodic replacement could get expensive, and stockpiling them would
be useless.

A Google search for 414 headphones pops bhphotovideo up to the top,
where the earpads are $5.50, about half the UK price.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommer******"
"Meat Plow"

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

He knows nothing and understands even less.
I want the lunatic jerk kicked right off usenet.
Who will help me ?

If the "lunatic jerk" you're referring to is yourself... I'd say

everyone
in this group.

** Ain't it just amazing !!

If you go after ONE troll, the rest of the ****s come in and gang up on
you.

So you gotta take the WHOLE lot on, all at once.

What a bunch of gutless, fascist pricks they are.

Are you being serious? Or is this an attempt at "humour"?

It's an example of 'free mental health care' in Oz.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:37:16 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"William Sommer******"
"Meat Plow"

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

He knows nothing and understands even less. I want the lunatic jerk
kicked right off usenet. Who will help me ?

If the "lunatic jerk" you're referring to is yourself... I'd say
everyone in
this group.

** Ain't it just amazing !!

If you go after ONE troll, the rest of the ****s come in and gang up on
you.

So you gotta take the WHOLE lot on, all at once.

What a bunch of gutless, fascist pricks they are.

You don't have what it takes to take on me. I rip you apart
anytime you fly off the handle with your vulgar, threatening
reply traps.

You are the epitome of the word Troll.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Phil Allison (Wacko)

On Sun, 15 May 2011 22:26:39 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Dave Plowman (Nutcase)"

Phil tends to be rude to everyone. And everything to him is black and
white.

** My colour vision is perfect.

But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

** Not with a ** MONO ** signal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As many others here, with far more insight than a jerk like you, have
agreed.

I tend to agree with a lot of technical things you reply with. But when
you star suggesting people take a bullet to the head that crosses the
border for even a Teflon skinned person like me.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Phil (sheep shagger) Allison needs help kicking Meat Plow offUsenet

On Sun, 15 May 2011 10:34:32 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Meat Plow"

That's my nick name you sheep-shagging nutjob, don't wear it out.

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

Oooooooooo the IRONY

He knows nothing and understands even less.

Oooooooooo the IRONY

I want the lunatic jerk kicked right off usenet.

SPROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOING! Now you've
done it, ruin a perfectly good irony meter.

Who will help me ?

Nobody. But I have sent your death threats to Individual.net. Let's see
how they feel about you thinking you can threaten anyone you wish with no
consequences.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Meat Plow wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:37:16 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"William Sommer******"

"Meat Plow"

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

He knows nothing and understands even less. I want the lunatic jerk
kicked right off usenet. Who will help me ?

If the "lunatic jerk" you're referring to is yourself... I'd say
everyone in
this group.

** Ain't it just amazing !!

If you go after ONE troll, the rest of the ****s come in and gang up on
you.

So you gotta take the WHOLE lot on, all at once.

What a bunch of gutless, fascist pricks they are.

You don't have what it takes to take on me. I rip you apart
anytime you fly off the handle with your vulgar, threatening
reply traps.

You are the epitome of the word Troll.

Fighting a battle of wits does not help you much, especially when
your aponent is unarmed!

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Phil Allison, liar?

On Sun, 15 May 2011 22:25:06 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

" As someone who does repairs for a living - I learnt LONG ago to
expect the unexpected. Murphy RULES !!!!!

Provide one believable and undeniable strand of evidence that you repair
electronics for a living. Having a hyper-antisocial personality like
yours would get you fired from any employer. And working for yourself,
the same personality disorder would send prospective customers running
for their lives never to return.

So unless you have some proof, I say you are a liar.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Ain't it just IRONIC !!

On Sun, 15 May 2011 16:55:14 -0400, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommer******"
"Meat Plow"

** This trolling asshole is a narcissistic psychopath.

He knows nothing and understands even less. I want the lunatic
jerk kicked right off usenet. Who will help me ?

If the "lunatic jerk" you're referring to is yourself... I'd say

everyone
in this group.

** Ain't it just amazing !!

If you go after ONE troll, the rest of the ****s come in and gang up
on you.

So you gotta take the WHOLE lot on, all at once.

What a bunch of gutless, fascist pricks they are.

Are you being serious? Or is this an attempt at "humour"?

It's an example of 'free mental health care' in Oz.

I have relatives on my mom's side living in Sidney. None of them act
like the psychopathic Phil Allison. Just exactly the opposite. One even
being a well known local radio personality.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Meat Plow"

** This ****WIT troll needs to be kicked off usenet.

Who will help ?

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Meat Plow"

** This ****WIT troll needs to be kicked off usenet.

Who will help ?

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Meat Plow"

** This ****WIT troll needs to be kicked off usenet.

Who will help ?

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Wacko TROLL must leave

"Meat Plow"

** This ****WIT troll needs to be kicked off usenet.

Who will help ?

...... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

I'll bet they aren't under care for mental problems, though.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Jamie wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

'Aponent'? You shouldn't talk about others being 'Unarmed', Maynard.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Phil Allison wrote:

"Meat Plow"

** This ****WIT troll needs to be kicked off usenet.

Who will help ?

No one will lift a finger to help you, Phyllis.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid™ on it, because it's
Teflon coated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio
isw isw is offline

In article
,
spamtrap1888 wrote:

On May 14, 9:07*pm, isw wrote:
In article ,
*"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
* *Patrick wrote:
I have some vinatge headphones (Sennheiser HD424) and want to attach a
new plug.

Which color wires are the positive ones?

The colors in one of the leads are red & blue and in the other lead
black & yellow. *(No wire is used as screening - there's just two wires
in each lead.)

Black and blue are the commons. Not that it would make any difference if
you commoned red and yellow.

You can check for sure by unplugging the leads from each actual earpiece
(red and blue plugs), but be careful to pull on the actual plug only. The
pins are of slightly different sizes.

Hope you have a source of the muffs for these - they crumble to dust quite
quickly.

I've been making my own for years, out of open-cell foam -- it comes for
free as packaging in all sorts of product boxes.

Any tips how?

Start with a piece of open-cell foam about 1/2" thick.

In a piece of 1/8" thick stiff material (I used Masonite), cut a round
hole a bit smaller than the diameter of the headset drivers (this will
allow the foam to stretch slightly when you install the pads, so it'll
stay in place).

Put the masonite on the foam and press it down hard (use clamps). The
foam will bulge up in the hole.

With a very sharp small-bladed utility knife, cut around the hole to
free the foam so it stands up in a straight-sided cylinder. Be careful
not to cut all the way through. Then slide the blade across the hole
while using a sawing motion. This will cut off the middle part of the
foam.

Now, you should have a piece of 1/2" thick foam with a circular part in
the middle which is 1/8" thick. Trim the outside to a circular shape, a
bit larger than the drivers.

Of course, you can use a different thickness of masonite to control the
thickness of the foam where the sound comes through, if you like a
"softer" fit on your ears.

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

On 16 May 11 at group /sci/electronics/repair in article
(Phil Allison) wrote:

BTW:

A voice speaking to you from inside your head is a tad alarming for
anyone with schizoid tendencies.

Now I understand your special problem. YMMD

Become unplugged. Best pull the usenet-plug. THX

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Meine 7 Sinne:
Unsinn, Schwachsinn, Blödsinn, Wahnsinn, Stumpfsinn, Irrsinn, Lötzinn.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In message , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

With headphones and a correctly-phased mono signal, the sound 'image' is
indeed slap-bang in the middle of your head. However, I find that mono
signals sound dead compared with stereo, and when listening for a long
time, this centre-of-the-head sound can start to become very tiring.

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.
--
Ian

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground - it leaves the two
transducers in series and out of phase.

Heaps of schems have been published to turn mono into a phoney stereo using
phase shift across the audio band - so one of them is worth a try too.

BTW:

A voice speaking to you from inside your head is a tad alarming for anyone
with schizoid tendencies.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

On 16/05/2011 11:33, Phil Allison wrote:
"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground - it leaves the two
transducers in series and out of phase.

Heaps of schems have been published to turn mono into a phoney stereo using
phase shift across the audio band - so one of them is worth a try too.

On this topic did anyone else see the NHK broadcast a few months back
about a digital version of binaural recording that alters the phase
frequency response of the high end of close miked material to extend the
stereo sound stage vertically. The trick works by tweaking the frequency
phase relationship to match what the ear expects from a wave incident at
a given angle. It just sounded odd on loudspeakers.

The demo was of church bells meant to sound high up but I didn't get to
hear it on headphones so I wonder if anyone else did. My Japanese isn't
that good so I might be slightly misrepresenting what was said. It was a
gee-whiz science programme so the explanation wasn't very detailed.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In message , Phil Allison
writes

"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground - it leaves the two
transducers in series and out of phase.

Yes, that's the easiest way to do it.

I suppose it's also the best test to do when checking that you actually
have got the phasing correct. Just dab the common connection on and off.
The difference will be very obvious, and instant.

--
Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

"Ian Jackson"
Phil Allison
"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground - it leaves the two
transducers in series and out of phase.

Yes, that's the easiest way to do it.

I suppose it's also the best test to do when checking that you actually
have got the phasing correct. Just dab the common connection on and off.
The difference will be very obvious, and instant.

** Precisely.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

In article ,
Phil Allison wrote:
A voice speaking to you from inside your head is a tad alarming for
anyone with schizoid tendencies.

Please remove your headphones immediately.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth