Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

In article ,
Patrick wrote:
Black and blue are the commons. Not that it would make any difference
if you commoned red and yellow.

You can check for sure by unplugging the leads from each actual
earpiece (red and blue plugs), but be careful to pull on the actual
plug only. The pins are of slightly different sizes.

Hope you have a source of the muffs for these - they crumble to dust
quite quickly.

You must know the headphones well because I had long forgotten the leads
plugged into the earpieces. I didn't realize the mini plugs were keyed
to go in only one way around. With that info I could have continuity
tested the colored leads to each of the larger pins on the plugs but
you saved me doing that becauase you have given me the color coding
too. Thank you.

They were standard issue (for some things) in the BBC when I worked there
many many years ago

You're right about the muffs crumbling. I threw them out. First I'll
see what the cans sound like now and then decide if it's worth getting
new muffs.

I still quite like them for where an open backed design is suitable.

It's been instructive to see how many people misunderstood what the
original question was trying to solve and they gave obviously useless,
if not misleading, advice. It's never been the same since Eternal
September.

Phil tends to be rude to everyone. And everything to him is black and
white. But I do know out of phase headphones ain't as obvious to all as he
suggests, or are to him.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW