Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carrier 8000TS wiring colors

I got a programmable thermostat to replace a pretty simple Honeywell
one that came with my house.

The instructions on the new programmable thermostat warned that it
would not work with a 2 stage furnace. I even called their tech
support
and they confirmed that.

After some investigation I found out I have a Carrier 58UXT, and that
it
is a 2 stage furnace.

I went though the trouble of ordering a 2 stage programmable
thermostat
and hired a technician to install it. I looked at the his installation
and
realized it is connected exactly as the old thermostat was, just using
4 wires (red, yellow, white and green). He had nothing connected to
the
W2 pin. As far as I could understand that was the difference for the 2
stage
furnace. There are 2 other wires (blue and tan) that are disconnected.

Does anyone know what those other 2 wires (blue and tan) are for?
Can any of those be the for W2 connection?

Would the unit not work as it should because of that installation?

Can I just use the 1 stage thermostat instead since the wiring
looks the same? I like it better because it has a remote control.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paulo

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can use a single stage thermostat on a 2 stage furnace. Usually they
will run on low stage for a certain time (around 10 min. give or take)
then kick up to high stage after that. Depending on the way the furnace
is sized, and the outside temperature, they will usually cycle off
before that time though. Most furnaces have either a set of dip switches
or pins/jumpers for sigle/two stage thermostats. On some you have to
hook up W1 and W2 on the board, others just W!, and I confess I do not
remember on a Carrier. Do you have the instruction manual for your
furnace? If so it should tell you . Good luck Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

lp13-30 wrote:

remember on a Carrier. Do you have the instruction manual for your
furnace? If so it should tell you . Good luck Larry

58uxt installation & operating instructions are he

http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58uxt-1si.pdf

Caulk colors C & E Home Repair 2 September 17th 06 05:29 PM
wierd colors! Reck Electronics Repair 14 September 27th 05 12:28 AM
connecting ceiling fan to older house- 70 year old house. need help with wiring colors KOS Home Repair 8 July 18th 05 03:47 PM
to many colors on my color t.v. averagebrian Electronics Repair 8 February 4th 05 12:24 AM
Using 2 paint colors Fogbank Home Repair 9 November 27th 04 02:25 PM