Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] paulo404a@gmail.com is offline

Default Carrier 8000TS wiring colors

I got a programmable thermostat to replace a pretty simple Honeywell
one that came with my house.

The instructions on the new programmable thermostat warned that it
would not work with a 2 stage furnace. I even called their tech
support
and they confirmed that.

After some investigation I found out I have a Carrier 58UXT, and that
it
is a 2 stage furnace.

I went though the trouble of ordering a 2 stage programmable
thermostat
and hired a technician to install it. I looked at the his installation
and
realized it is connected exactly as the old thermostat was, just using
4 wires (red, yellow, white and green). He had nothing connected to
the
W2 pin. As far as I could understand that was the difference for the 2
stage
furnace. There are 2 other wires (blue and tan) that are disconnected.

Does anyone know what those other 2 wires (blue and tan) are for?
Can any of those be the for W2 connection?

Would the unit not work as it should because of that installation?

Can I just use the 1 stage thermostat instead since the wiring
looks the same? I like it better because it has a remote control.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paulo