Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,uk.rec.audio
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Help with wiring colors on old headphones

On 16/05/2011 11:33, Phil Allison wrote:
"Ian Jackson"

I find that reversing the phase of one of the headphones produces a much
wider audio image, and is generally much easier to listen to. I can only
hope that the purists will forgive me.

** All you have to do is un-link the common ground - it leaves the two
transducers in series and out of phase.

Heaps of schems have been published to turn mono into a phoney stereo using
phase shift across the audio band - so one of them is worth a try too.

On this topic did anyone else see the NHK broadcast a few months back
about a digital version of binaural recording that alters the phase
frequency response of the high end of close miked material to extend the
stereo sound stage vertically. The trick works by tweaking the frequency
phase relationship to match what the ear expects from a wave incident at
a given angle. It just sounded odd on loudspeakers.

The demo was of church bells meant to sound high up but I didn't get to
hear it on headphones so I wonder if anyone else did. My Japanese isn't
that good so I might be slightly misrepresenting what was said. It was a
gee-whiz science programme so the explanation wasn't very detailed.

Regards,
Martin Brown