Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony headphones

Hi

I've bought some rather cheap Sony headphones (MDR-V150), say 2 months
ago. Suddenly the sound level on the right channel was weaker and there
were almost no low frequencies when compared to the left channel. I
first thought it was a loose soldering point because every time when I
pushed the plastic case of the earcup, all went fine again. But when
I've opened the earcup to fix the problem I've realised that the loose
contact isn't a soldering point but some kind of plastic that's glued on
the soldering points and goes onto the "speaker" ifself (more precisely,
it's connected to a yellow semitransparent plastic layer, and this one's
glued(?) on a metal with lots of holes inside). When I pushed onto this
connecting plastic, all went fine again.

But how can I fix this issue? What's the kind of material used and where
can I buy it?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article , Andreas Weishaupt wrote:
[...]

It may be a conductive epoxy. Hard to come by.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Andreas Weishaupt" wrote in message
[...]

If you hadn't opened them, Sony warrants all their stuff, even blatant junk,
for a year for "workmanship and material defects". They'd give you new
ones, you'd probably have to send them to Outer Mongolia to their service
depot and wait six months but you'd get a new set.

However, now that you have, why don't you evaluate what your time is worth
vs. the cost of the headphones. Supposing you could lay your hands on a
consumer-affordable quantity of conductive epoxy or other magic proprietary
glue (which is very doubtful), is it really worth it? If they were cheap,
go buy another pair and be done with it. I hate needlessly throwing away
stuff... I've been known to pick up other people's garbage on trash day and
it kills me every time I go to the landfill and see the pallets of TV's,
stereos, and other electronic gear but you're talking about a consumable
item, not a durable good. Chuck 'em!

Dave S.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave schrieb:
[...]

Yeah in fact it's already the second time I've bought this type of
headphones. The first time it was the same issue, so I threw them away
and bought a new pair because it was cheap. But this time I wanted to
repair them in the hope they'd last a bit longer (not because I thought
it'd be cheaper)...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave schrieb:
[...]

Can you not just make a permanent version of your finger.
In similar circumstances I've folded up a strip of that coarse woven plastic
pan scourer material . Enough folds, to pack out , when placed over the bad
contact and kept in place, squashed, by closing the casing back , ear cup in
your case.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook schrieb:
Can you not just make a permanent version of your finger.
In similar circumstances I've folded up a strip of that coarse woven plastic
pan scourer material . Enough folds, to pack out , when placed over the bad
contact and kept in place, squashed, by closing the casing back , ear cup in
your case.

Yup, I think that'll work fine! Thanks a lot!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Why not simply buy a pair of good, well-made headphones -- eg, Sennheiser --
and keep them?

---- The Lady from Philadelphia

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Andreas Weishaupt" wrote in message

Yeah in fact it's already the second time I've bought this type of
headphones. The first time it was the same issue, so I threw them away and
bought a new pair because it was cheap. But this time I wanted to repair
them in the hope they'd last a bit longer (not because I thought it'd be
cheaper)...

"you get what you pay for" strikes again. Damn.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

These are not servicable. See if they can be exchanged under warranty.
If not, buy a new set.

If you go for something of good quality, you should have a better
lifespan with them.

Jerry G.
======

On Feb 26, 2:29*pm, Andreas Weishaupt wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Andreas Weishaupt wrote in
:

repair them in the hope they'd last a bit longer (not because I thought
it'd be cheaper)...

Radio shack sells a conductive ink pen for repair of circuit boards. You
might try that.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook schrieb:
Can you not just make a permanent version of your finger.
In similar circumstances I've folded up a strip of that coarse woven

plastic
pan scourer material . Enough folds, to pack out , when placed over the

bad
contact and kept in place, squashed, by closing the casing back , ear

cup in
your case.

Yup, I think that'll work fine! Thanks a lot!

Not woven , random open mesh of melted? fibres. The point is it is
electically insulating but has a compression spring-like ability

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England