indago

Default Koss Pro 4AA Headphones

I have two sets of Koss Pro 4AA Earphones that I purchased around 1965. I
use them for television programs, especially the good movies. I like these
particular sets because the bass is not so prominent and the buzz that is
inherent in the tv does not seem so prominent in these phones as some of the
newer earphones.

I am having problems with the sound reproducers. While I am watching a
program in stereo, I can detect the left channel beginning to fade, the
moreso, until it is completely off, while the right channel continues. I
have a long stereo cable from the tv to the headphones, about 10 feet. I
have checked the cables and these are not the problem. I can apply the
leads of a 1.5 volt batter in a battery holder, scratching the leads onto
the stereo connector, and the right side is quite clear with the pulses, but
the left side is dead at first, and then recovers and responds to the
pulses.

I would like to know if anyone has had a similar problem with these
earphones. I don't want to send them back to Koss for replacement of the
reproducer because they might put in one that has a greater bass response
and I don't want that for these particular earphones.

Henry Kolesnik

How do you know the left side wire leads all the way up to the reproducer
are good? I have to wonder if you're jiggling the left side wire enough to
make contact when your moving the battery. Get an ohmeter and I think you
can confirm that the wires are good or bad.
73
Hank WD5JFR
"indago" wrote in message
[...]

indago

041206 1008 - indago posted:

[...]

Well, I found the problem. A couple of years ago I put a new 10' cable on
the Koss headset and took off the old "liquid filled" pads and put on the
new foam filled pads. I soldered the new wires together and taped them. I
recently took the covers off and examined into the wiring and found that the
tape that I used had unraveled and the joints became exposed and were
possibly shorting against the metal of the reproducer. I have since used a
different type of tape -- the heat from my head during use may have
contributed to the unravelling -- and retaped the splices. I have put in a
new felt separator that separates the splices from the reproducer, and also
acts as a sound baffler. The set has been working flawlessly now for a
couple of days and I am much pleased with these old headphones performance
in this particular application. The new foam filled ear cushions are much
more comfortable than the old worn out "liquid filled" ones.

Stephan Goldstein

In article , indago wrote:
041206 1008 - indago posted:

snippies
The new foam filled ear cushions are much
more comfortable than the old worn out "liquid filled" ones.

Where did you find new ear cushions?
John Miller

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/02CustSvcFS?ReadForm&Order+Replacement+Ear+Cushion s

--
John Miller
email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Jim Adney

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:14:17 -0600 Jim Adney
wrote:

I got mine directly from Koss. $5 per pair postpaid. Order online from
their web site. Mind just arrived today.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I have a set of Pro-4s, but the
earliest ear muffs they showed on their web site were for the Pro-4AA.
I thought these were virtually the same, so I went ahead and ordered
them. They LOOK the same, except that they are black instead of the
original green, but when I tried to fit them they are just a bit too
small.

Koss must have made the later headphones smaller. I never realized
that. Can anyone confirm this?

In the meantime, does anyone need a set of brand new replacement muff
pads for their Pro-4AAs? I'll be glad to forward them to you for the
same $5 they cost me.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
jakdedert

wrote:

I got mine directly from Koss. $5 per pair postpaid. Order online
from their web site. Mind just arrived today.

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I have a set of Pro-4s, but the
earliest ear muffs they showed on their web site were for the Pro-4AA.
I thought these were virtually the same, so I went ahead and ordered
them. They LOOK the same, except that they are black instead of the
original green, but when I tried to fit them they are just a bit too
small.

Email Koss. They 'might' have some, as they did with my Pro-4AAA's which
were not listed on their site. I have a set of less expensive Kosses for
which they did 'not' have replacements, so it's a crap shoot...worth a try,
though.

jak

Koss must have made the later headphones smaller. I never realized
that. Can anyone confirm this?

In the meantime, does anyone need a set of brand new replacement muff
pads for their Pro-4AAs? I'll be glad to forward them to you for the
same $5 they cost me.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Jim Adney

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:49:22 -0600 Jim Adney
wrote:

In the meantime, does anyone need a set of brand new replacement muff
pads for their Pro-4AAs? I'll be glad to forward them to you for the
same $5 they cost me.

Thanks, I've already had 2 people respond.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Jim Adney

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:07:24 -0600 "jakdedert"
wrote:

Email Koss. They 'might' have some, as they did with my Pro-4AAA's which
were not listed on their site.

Thanks, I've done that and am now hoping for a reply.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
jakdedert

wrote:

Email Koss. They 'might' have some, as they did with my Pro-4AAA's
which were not listed on their site.

Thanks, I've done that and am now hoping for a reply.

Good luck. It was a fine experience for me: putting on that old set of cans
which I had not heard--comfortably at least--in over 25 years. They still
sound great, but I still wish I had just kept the AA's which I traded for
them. I really can't complain about the sound vs. the AA's, but I worry
that those now-irreplacable cushions are going to perforate again.

jak

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA