usenetdg

Default No sound from right side of Panasonic RP-HT46 headphones

This is a cheap (~$20) pair of stereo headphones I use on the computer
so I won't disturb others if I'm listening to music.

The sound started seeming too quiet and I investigated and there's no
sound coming from the right channel. The phones have a single volume
control that handles both channels. When the headphones are
unplugged, the music comes fine out of both stereo speakers.

I know the easy solution would be just go buy another pair. I'm
looking to see if there's a tolerably easy solution not involving
buying another pair, and not involving paying $60 to repair some $20
headphones.

usenetdg

"Eugen T" wrote in message ...
There may be broken wire that comes to non-working headphone? Just open it.

The headphone pieces (the part with the speakers) are just hard
plastic with a wire going in to them. I don't think there's a way to
"open it" without breaking it.
Sofie

uesnetdg:

broken wires.... test by bending?
bad plug.... test by flexing?
bad jack on computer?

BEFORE you replace or repair anything, at least TRY another set of
headphones that are known to be good. You can also test the headphones you
have on another piece of equipment like a Walkman or Discman. These test
should help you know where the problem actually is.... or isn't.
And, by the way, you can get a set CHEAP headphones for about $5 or less at
WalMart, KMart, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"usenetdg" wrote in message
om...
This is a cheap (~$20) pair of stereo headphones I use on the computer
so I won't disturb others if I'm listening to music.

The sound started seeming too quiet and I investigated and there's no
sound coming from the right channel. The phones have a single volume
control that handles both channels. When the headphones are
unplugged, the music comes fine out of both stereo speakers.

I know the easy solution would be just go buy another pair. I'm
looking to see if there's a tolerably easy solution not involving
buying another pair, and not involving paying $60 to repair some $20
headphones.

usenetdg

uesnetdg:

broken wires.... test by bending?
bad plug.... test by flexing?
bad jack on computer?

BEFORE you replace or repair anything, at least TRY another set of
headphones that are known to be good. You can also test the
headphones you
have on another piece of equipment like a Walkman or Discman. These
test
should help you know where the problem actually is.... or isn't.
And, by the way, you can get a set CHEAP headphones for about $5 or
less at
WalMart, KMart, thrift stores, garage sales, etc.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie
Electronics Supply & Repair
-

Daniel, you've got some neat ideas there. Here's what I've done:

1. Tried the "bad" pair of headphones on a different computer. Same
problem; no sound out of the right channel.

2. Listened to music on the main computer without headphones. Sound
definitely came from both speakers.

3. Plugged a DIFFERENT pair of headphones into that computer. STILL
no sound out of the right channel. Hmmmmmm....

Okay, except for the fact that the original headphones in question
didn't work on a second computer, I'd be inclined to say that the
problem is with the headphone jack on my main computer speakers. I
will try the headphones on actual audio equipment and see what I find.

Any suggestions on how to improve the connection if the problem is the
headphone jack?

By the way, when I plug the headphones into the jack, here's what
happens:

a. Right speaker cuts off first - no sound from right headphone
channel
b. Left speaker cuts off next - still no sound from either headphone
channel
c. Sound comes out of left headphone channel.

Mike

In article ,
usenetdg wrote:

The headphone pieces (the part with the speakers) are just hard
plastic with a wire going in to them. I don't think there's a way to
"open it" without breaking it.

Look again: Sony MDR headphones are like that -- there's no visible opening
*until* you take the headphone pads off, and then the screws are visible under
a stuck on padding sheet. You may need to pull the ear cups off before
dismantling.

There has to be a way into it, how did they get the speakers etc. in?

Even if it is a glued/sonic welded join, it is possible to get it apart
(with care!). But I'm guessing hidden screws.

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/