Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave[_4_] Dave[_4_] is offline

Default Sony headphones

"Andreas Weishaupt" wrote in message
Hi

I've bought some rather cheap Sony headphones (MDR-V150), say 2 months
ago. Suddenly the sound level on the right channel was weaker and there
were almost no low frequencies when compared to the left channel. I first
thought it was a loose soldering point because every time when I pushed
the plastic case of the earcup, all went fine again. But when I've opened
the earcup to fix the problem I've realised that the loose contact isn't a
soldering point but some kind of plastic that's glued on the soldering
points and goes onto the "speaker" ifself (more precisely, it's connected
to a yellow semitransparent plastic layer, and this one's glued(?) on a
metal with lots of holes inside). When I pushed onto this connecting
plastic, all went fine again.

But how can I fix this issue? What's the kind of material used and where
can I buy it?

If you hadn't opened them, Sony warrants all their stuff, even blatant junk,
for a year for "workmanship and material defects". They'd give you new
ones, you'd probably have to send them to Outer Mongolia to their service
depot and wait six months but you'd get a new set.

However, now that you have, why don't you evaluate what your time is worth
vs. the cost of the headphones. Supposing you could lay your hands on a
consumer-affordable quantity of conductive epoxy or other magic proprietary
glue (which is very doubtful), is it really worth it? If they were cheap,
go buy another pair and be done with it. I hate needlessly throwing away
stuff... I've been known to pick up other people's garbage on trash day and
it kills me every time I go to the landfill and see the pallets of TV's,
stereos, and other electronic gear but you're talking about a consumable
item, not a durable good. Chuck 'em!

Dave S.