Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default How does crimping work?

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
If by fully insulated you mean the red blue and yellow types available in
a variety of configurations - the colour determining the cable sizes
catered for - they vary wildly in quality by maker, as do the crimp
tools.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4525

The particular application is connecting to the terminals of an SLA, so
these connectors have the advantage of minimising the scope for
extraneous contact when they're in place.

Shame they perform so badly on the pull test.

I too have seen these red terminals pull off a cable within their stated
range.

I prefer non insulated 1/4 in spade connectors that have a separate
insulating cover. They have a better cable clamp too. This sort:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninsblades.php

Made of brass, strangely. ;-)

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
If by fully insulated you mean the red blue and yellow types available in
a variety of configurations - the colour determining the cable sizes
catered for - they vary wildly in quality by maker, as do the crimp
tools.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PT4525

The particular application is connecting to the terminals of an SLA, so
these connectors have the advantage of minimising the scope for
extraneous contact when they're in place.

Shame they perform so badly on the pull test.

I too have seen these red terminals pull off a cable within their stated
range.

I prefer non insulated 1/4 in spade connectors that have a separate
insulating cover. They have a better cable clamp too. This sort:-

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninsblades.php

Made of brass, strangely. ;-)

I've noticed what is probably a significant difference between the
failed lugs, and the other type that seem OK. It lies in the length of
the metal that gets crimped.

The tool I'm using is one of these:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/T3535

It seems designed to crimp equally* two locations spaced apart.

But the metal on the failed lugs is too short, and one side of the tool
is just crimping plastic.
[*] I emphasis "equally". Lest anyone think I've misunderstood, this is
not a tool designed to crimp the conductor and insulator in one go.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:11:01 -0500, PeterD wrote:

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 21:13:21 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,

I suspect everyone else knows that bronze is much too brittle to use
as a crimp on connector, but Dave hasn't gotten that far yet.

Who said bronze? Cite a reference!

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

The smaller of the two crimps is for the cable connection and the larger
bit just crimps the lug insulation round the cable insulation.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

As I said, they are equal.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

Have a closer look, there is not much difference. Yours may be equal
mine is not. In any case the right side or the flat side is for the
cable connection and the left for the insulation.
They may have changed the design as I noticed my crimper does not work
as well with the newer lugs that seem to have different insulation.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

By right side I mean the opposite side than that shown on your crimper

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
I've noticed what is probably a significant difference between the
failed lugs, and the other type that seem OK. It lies in the length of
the metal that gets crimped.

The tool I'm using is one of these:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/T3535

It seems designed to crimp equally* two locations spaced apart.

But the metal on the failed lugs is too short, and one side of the tool
is just crimping plastic.

[*] I emphasis "equally". Lest anyone think I've misunderstood, this is
not a tool designed to crimp the conductor and insulator in one go.

My dislike of the pre-insulated types is the crimp consists of flattening
the part in contact with the cable.

A link was posted earlier by Trevor Wilson where the first pic shows the
type I prefer:-
http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/...rmp/index.html

You can't produce this sort of shape with a pre-insulated type as it would
pierce the insulation. But then the pre-insulated types are used (in the
UK) on mains wiring etc where the conductor is a single strand. And a
heart shaped crimp wouldn't work with those.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
F Murtz wrote:
Spade connectors have to have different properties to lugs because they
rely on spring tension for electrical continuity but proper bolt on lugs
are usually copper for copper cables, aluminium for aluminium cables.

Agreed. But I've a feeling 'lug' is used as a very broad term.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

If these aren't identical, it's going to take measuring instruments to
prove it.

Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs that
I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned almost to
its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty much flat.

I know that there are tools designed to crimp this sort of lug

http://au.farnell.com/jst-japan-sold...8mm/dp/3625436

in one action, where the section closer to the spade crimps the
conductor, and the section at the end crimps the insulation, but the
tool I have is definitely not one of those.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs that
I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned almost to
its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

The tool designed for that sort of lug has a knife edge bit in one side
of the crimp jaws which make a heart shape of the crimp.
Your crimper looks the same as mine in the jaws with the exception of
the size variation I am certain that the flat side or right side goes
toward the lug
and the side that sticks out is the cable side and is designed to crimp
the lug insulation to the cable insulation.
If you place the lug in the jaws with the cable side on the left you
will see that the crimps line up to do what I described.I am going to
check and may buy one similar to yours because some of my new lugs do
not fit old one with bigger insulation crimp on left.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

Here are two insulated lugs that I crimped with mine, from which I then
stripped the insulation.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimp.jpg

Note how the one on the left, which I bought from Dick Smith Electronics
(DSE), has crimped the insulation as well, whereas the one on the right,
with the shorter crimped section has not. This is not because I failed
to insert the one on the right correctly - it's hole has a constant
radius, and there is no room to put the insulation in. The one on the
left has a barrel (there is no slot) that has a wider section to
accomodate the insulation.

The left one looks the better result, though I have to admit that with
these two, they've passed any pull test I've managed to apply. I can
only conclude that the fully insulated lugs that I bought from Jay Car
are (and I use this word very rarely) crap, because I was able to pull
them apart without even using pliers to hold the lug.

Finally, I tried using the tool the other way around, on one of the DSE
lugs. If there's any difference in the result, it will need to be
determined by a stronger person.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

I don't know if this will work One makes the heart shape crimp the other
is similar to yours except it is not ratchet but works like vice grips.
http://picasaweb.google.com/FMurtz9/...K2Pr6z7-ZOEvAE

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

The teeth(?) look much the same in all cases. I originally envisaged
something would push down further in the centre, to create the desired
shape, but it appears they down't work that way.

FWIW, here are images of both sides the business end of my tool

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimptool.jpg

The bottom one is a mirror image, to make comparison easier.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

I am going to wear out the reply button.
The heart shaped is for those non insulated open lugs you showed an url
for earlier
here is a couple more pics, I think,new at this pic posting
http://picasaweb.google.com/FMurtz9/...CODVs7zcofCqDg
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

Yours have teeth mine does not that is why I have a separate crimper
with more defined knife edge. It looks as if yours tries to be dual
purpose.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs that
I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned almost to
its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Clearly doesn't work in the case of these particular lugs.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs that
I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned almost to
its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Clearly doesn't work in the case of these particular lugs.

Indeed. I do have a crimp tool supplied by one of the bigger insulated
crimp makers and I'll post some pics of the result later.

Sylvia.

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Another paper here of relevance
http://www.eee.metu.edu.tr/~ssedele/.../GOKCEN/45.pdf

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

And what's the view on the comparative effectiveness of swage
impact crimpers and hydraulic crimpers over ratchet crimpers? I
find them both useful for automotive battery and similar large
cabling but too cumbersome for smaller gauge wiring or close
quarters as they need space and at least two free hands; indeed
with the hydraulic I often need someone hold the cable and
connector while I use two hands to crimp. And the swage impact
crimper is a out of the car bench only tool.

eg http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for an impact swage
crimper and

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for a hydraulic crimper.

I find with the right sized die they do seem to good job on even
small terminals but if the size is even slightly wrong they tend
to crush the terminal so its unusable.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 2, 2:45*am, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

My dislike of the pre-insulated types is the crimp consists of flattening
the part in contact with the cable.

[ want cardioid crimp cross section, not oval]
You can't produce this sort of shape with a pre-insulated type as it would
pierce the insulation.

The large crimp tools I've used have hydraulic rams and make a hexagon
shape; it works fine, and is very reliable. Smaller ones make a
cruciform
shape (and those include military/aircraft grade crimpers), also very
reliable. Very small crimpers for sheetmetal U preforms also can be
very reliable.

And the good insulated terminals I use are compatible with the
cardioid
crimp, it apparently doesn't destroy the plastic (but the part of the
insulation where the crimp tool bears down isn't always pretty
looking).
My crimp pliers are good forged steel Kleins, but some of the better
sheetmetal pliers (buy a brand name, like AMP or Channellock, there's
some baddies out there) also work. I always thought the OVAL
crimp was intended only to deform the insulation over the wire to
make a dirt seal, not to make the electric/mechanical crimp.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Bob Larter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs
that I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned
almost to its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty
much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Exactly. It's there for strain relief.

In the example I posted earlier, which has strain relief, it's metal
that's crimped onto the insulator, not plastic.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs
that I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned
almost to its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty
much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Exactly. It's there for strain relief.

In the example I posted earlier, which has strain relief, it's metal
that's crimped onto the insulator, not plastic.

The standard crimp tool for insulated terminals has parallel jaws, and
those terminals have no provision for the metal part to crimp onto the
insulation. Nor will the insulation fit inside the metal part if you're
using the correct size, or at least with most cables. A very thin wall
type might. But the design calls for all the metal part of the crimp to be
in contact with the conductor.

--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
[...]

note how the lug on the left has a different diameter where it's crimped
around the insulation to where it's crimped around the conductor. That
difference existed prior to crimping - the diameter of the hole for the
wire changes part of the way down the shaft so that insulation cannot go
any further.

It's true that this difference is not obviously reflected in the tool I
used, but given that plastic deforms much more easily than metal, I can
believe that having jaws the same size works out OK (it certainly seems
to), and has the advantage that there's no right-way around to insert
the lug into the tool.

Sylvia.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Sylvia wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
Sylvia wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs
that I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned
almost to its original shape, even though the tool squashes it pretty
much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Exactly. It's there for strain relief.

In the example I posted earlier, which has strain relief, it's metal
that's crimped onto the insulator, not plastic.

The standard crimp tool for insulated terminals has parallel jaws, and
those terminals have no provision for the metal part to crimp onto the
insulation. Nor will the insulation fit inside the metal part if you're
using the correct size, or at least with most cables. A very thin wall
type might. But the design calls for all the metal part of the crimp to be
in contact with the conductor.

The proper crimp tool for the small insulated lugs as far as I know has
two crimping sections separated by a gap which is designed to crimp both
the conducting section on to the cable and the plastic on the lug to the
cable insulation at the same time.The cheaper tool which is more common
does one operation at a time (once for the cable crimp and once for the
insulation)I think that sylvia's lugs have a heavier section for copper
to copper and a flimsy copper skirt which continues back inside the
plastic insulation over the cable insulation but I may be wrong.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
In the example I posted earlier

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimp.jpg

note how the lug on the left has a different diameter where it's crimped
around the insulation to where it's crimped around the conductor. That
difference existed prior to crimping - the diameter of the hole for the
wire changes part of the way down the shaft so that insulation cannot go
any further.

It's true that this difference is not obviously reflected in the tool I
used, but given that plastic deforms much more easily than metal, I can
believe that having jaws the same size works out OK (it certainly seems
to), and has the advantage that there's no right-way around to insert
the lug into the tool.

IMHO, that type of crimp would require a special tool - not the generic
type for these pre-insulated connectors.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
In the example I posted earlier

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimp.jpg

note how the lug on the left has a different diameter where it's crimped
around the insulation to where it's crimped around the conductor. That
difference existed prior to crimping - the diameter of the hole for the
wire changes part of the way down the shaft so that insulation cannot go
any further.

It's true that this difference is not obviously reflected in the tool I
used, but given that plastic deforms much more easily than metal, I can
believe that having jaws the same size works out OK (it certainly seems
to), and has the advantage that there's no right-way around to insert
the lug into the tool.

IMHO, that type of crimp would require a special tool - not the generic
type for these pre-insulated connectors.

The tool I have works much better on that type of connector than it does
on the type where the lug metal doesn't extend back over the cable
insulator. In the latter case, it merely squeezes some plastic which
then returns to more or less its original shape.

The tool may really be intended for lugs that crimp a longer section of
the conductor, but I haven't come across any such lugs.

Sylvia.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:46:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

:In article ,
: Trevor Wilson wrote:
: Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in
: some form of spring loaded contact.
:
: **We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this:
:
: http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/...rmp/index.html
:
: Copper is the material, not brass.
:
:Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in
:computers and cars are brass.

Aha! Now you have finally made the distinction in your argument...

Commonly used terminals in the whitegoods and automotive areas (ie. QC crimp
terminals) are indeed made of brass. But that is about the limit of use for this
material. When it comes to electrical crimp lugs, spade terminals etc, then the
lug/terminal material is always copper, unless you are using aluminium
conductors where the terminal material will be aluminium.

Take a look at the Utilux catalogue (small insulated and un-insulated terminals)
http://www.utilux.com.au/pdf/4.pdf and you will see mentioned at the top of
several pages the material is electro-tinned copper. Only the QC tabs are brass.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Ross Herbert wrote:
Aha! Now you have finally made the distinction in your argument...

Made it pretty well from the start. As I got the impression the OP wasn't
talking about heavy duty power connections.

Commonly used terminals in the whitegoods and automotive areas (ie. QC
crimp terminals) are indeed made of brass. But that is about the limit
of use for this material. When it comes to electrical crimp lugs, spade
terminals etc, then the lug/terminal material is always copper, unless
you are using aluminium conductors where the terminal material will be
aluminium.

Almost anywhere you go, there will be more crimped terminals which aren't
copper - as they are sprung as part of a plug and socket arrangement. Many
inside your computer, for a start. TV as well. Etc.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:
Bob Larter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
Crimping the plastic is a waste of time anyway. On the failed lugs
that I crimped, the plastic that covers the insulation has returned
almost to its original shape, even though the tool squashes it
pretty much flat.

Something wrong there. The plastic acts as the cord clamp.

Exactly. It's there for strain relief.

In the example I posted earlier, which has strain relief, it's metal
that's crimped onto the insulator, not plastic.

So? It still relieves strain on the metal-to-metal joint.

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
On 11/30/2009 07:54 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
The obvious answer is that you bend the metal of the connector so that
it holds the wire in place.

This doesn't seem very satisfactory. Metal always retains some
flexibility, even when bent beyond its yield point. No matter how hard
you squeeze, there'll be some rebound when you release the pressure,
which should result in a loose joint.

After having had a bad experience trying to crip a lug some years ago, I
recently faced the need to do this again. So I bought a moderately
expensive ratchet based crimping tool. And, rather to my surprise, it
actually works.

But that doesn't answer the question of how.

Sylvia.

Crimping is an emergency fix to me. It's a **** poor connection that can
corrode and pull apart. I always use solder after crimping.

solder is not as flexible and causes more trouble than crimping in some
circumstances (in areas of vibration etc)
Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
news
On 11/30/2009 07:54 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
The obvious answer is that you bend the metal of the connector so that
it holds the wire in place.

This doesn't seem very satisfactory. Metal always retains some
flexibility, even when bent beyond its yield point. No matter how hard
you squeeze, there'll be some rebound when you release the pressure,
which should result in a loose joint.

After having had a bad experience trying to crip a lug some years ago, I
recently faced the need to do this again. So I bought a moderately
expensive ratchet based crimping tool. And, rather to my surprise, it
actually works.

But that doesn't answer the question of how.

Sylvia.

Crimping is an emergency fix to me. It's a **** poor connection that can
corrode and pull apart. I always use solder after crimping.

**Then you're doing it wrong.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in
:

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
news
On 11/30/2009 07:54 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:

After having had a bad experience trying to crip a lug some years
ago, I recently faced the need to do this again. So I bought a
moderately expensive ratchet based crimping tool. And, rather to my
surprise, it actually works.

Crimping is an emergency fix to me. It's a **** poor connection that
can corrode and pull apart. I always use solder after crimping.

**Then you're doing it wrong.

Yup, adding solder will make the connection brittle, and more prone to
failure in a vibration environment.

Crimping is actually far more reliable.

crimping tools Stephen[_6_] UK diy 6 June 7th 09 11:44 PM
PEX Crimping question Newfie Home Repair 6 February 28th 07 03:58 PM
CT100 crimping Rick Hughes UK diy 4 January 2nd 07 12:19 PM
How to use crimping tool Alex Metalworking 28 March 17th 06 03:10 AM
PEX Crimping [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 21st 05 11:24 PM