Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default crimping tools

Hello,

I read the wiki section about crimping - very useful, thanks - and it
said to use a ratchet tool to ensure the quality of the crimp. I have
seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps
but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps?
Is there a ratchet tool available for those, or do you have to use
those multipurpose wire stripping, bolt cropping, pliers?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 June, 14:37, Stephen wrote:

I have
seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps
but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps?

Ratchet tool. Same tool, just different jaws.

Vehicle Wiring Products are a good source for all this stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I read the wiki section about crimping - very useful, thanks - and it
said to use a ratchet tool to ensure the quality of the crimp. I have
seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps
but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps?
Is there a ratchet tool available for those, or do you have to use
those multipurpose wire stripping, bolt cropping, pliers?

You just need a different version of the tool:

http://cpc.farnell.com/ck-tools/4300...d-1/dp/TL11636

Much the same idea, same ratchet, different jaw profiles.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:

I read the wiki section about crimping - very useful, thanks - and it
said to use a ratchet tool to ensure the quality of the crimp. I have
seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps
but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps?
Is there a ratchet tool available for those, or do you have to use
those multipurpose wire stripping, bolt cropping, pliers?

It really depends on what you mean by non insulated ones. There are
thousands of different crimps for various purposes.
If you mean the fairly standard car 1/4" etc spade connectors, I use the
PR3 one on the page below which does a super job. But economies of
production scale means it's much more expensive than a pre-insulated type.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninscrimps.php

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hello,

I read the wiki section about crimping - very useful, thanks - and it
said to use a ratchet tool to ensure the quality of the crimp. I have
seen ratchet crimping tools that are colour coded for insulated crimps
but I wonder, what are you supposed to use for non-insulated crimps?
Is there a ratchet tool available for those, or do you have to use
those multipurpose wire stripping, bolt cropping, pliers?

Thanks,
Stephen.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/60547/...-mm-to-16sq-mm

are the ones I have - Davico are a decent make and the tool makes a very
convincing job of it.

HTH
Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 15:09:35 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

It really depends on what you mean by non insulated ones. There are
thousands of different crimps for various purposes.
If you mean the fairly standard car 1/4" etc spade connectors, I use the
PR3 one on the page below which does a super job. But economies of
production scale means it's much more expensive than a pre-insulated type.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninscrimps.php

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't look hard enough, I could have sworn
that I only saw tools for insulated crimps. I've never heard of VWP
ltd before, so thanks for the recommendation. I will be using the
standard 1/4" spades. Thanks again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
It really depends on what you mean by non insulated ones. There are
thousands of different crimps for various purposes. If you mean the
fairly standard car 1/4" etc spade connectors, I use the PR3 one on the
page below which does a super job. But economies of production scale
means it's much more expensive than a pre-insulated type.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninscrimps.php

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't look hard enough, I could have sworn
that I only saw tools for insulated crimps. I've never heard of VWP
ltd before, so thanks for the recommendation. I will be using the
standard 1/4" spades. Thanks again.

If you are using the standard 1/4" 'lucar' connectors as used on car
wiring then the above crimp tool produces a 'factory' perfect crimp, using
the standard lucar 1/4" terminals, as sold by the likes of VWP. For other
terminals which are similar but designed for single core mains wiring,
others might be more suitable for less cost.

Basically crimping is a bit of a black art and there is no such thing as
a 'one size fits all' crimping tool. And a badly made crimp is worse than
useless. Better to use a screw or solder connection. But those aren't as
good as a well made crimp connection.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
CT100 crimping Rick Hughes UK diy 4 January 2nd 07 12:19 PM
Correct CT-100 crimping Rick Hughes UK diy 15 October 22nd 06 10:18 AM
PEX Crimping [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 21st 05 11:24 PM
Crimping, A Warning bob UK diy 16 May 3rd 05 08:51 AM