Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default crimping tools

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
It really depends on what you mean by non insulated ones. There are
thousands of different crimps for various purposes. If you mean the
fairly standard car 1/4" etc spade connectors, I use the PR3 one on the
page below which does a super job. But economies of production scale
means it's much more expensive than a pre-insulated type.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.e...ninscrimps.php

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't look hard enough, I could have sworn
that I only saw tools for insulated crimps. I've never heard of VWP
ltd before, so thanks for the recommendation. I will be using the
standard 1/4" spades. Thanks again.

If you are using the standard 1/4" 'lucar' connectors as used on car
wiring then the above crimp tool produces a 'factory' perfect crimp, using
the standard lucar 1/4" terminals, as sold by the likes of VWP. For other
terminals which are similar but designed for single core mains wiring,
others might be more suitable for less cost.

Basically crimping is a bit of a black art and there is no such thing as
a 'one size fits all' crimping tool. And a badly made crimp is worse than
useless. Better to use a screw or solder connection. But those aren't as
good as a well made crimp connection.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.