bob

Default Crimping, A Warning

Hi
In a number of posts to UK DIY, people are advising the use of crimps
to join cables,
The use of insulated crimps to join solid copper conductors can cause
fire.
Their are manufacturers who will imply that their crimps will safely
join solid copper conductors, They dont.
Today I have been to my 3rd breakdown this year where a crimped cable
has broken down and caused damage.
Insulated Crimps are only for Stranded copper cable, not Solid Copper
as is found in domestic Flat Twin Cables.
Bob James
James Salisbury

"bob" wrote in message
m...
Hi
In a number of posts to UK DIY, people are advising the use of crimps
to join cables,
The use of insulated crimps to join solid copper conductors can cause
fire.
Their are manufacturers who will imply that their crimps will safely
join solid copper conductors, They dont.
Today I have been to my 3rd breakdown this year where a crimped cable
has broken down and caused damage.
Insulated Crimps are only for Stranded copper cable, not Solid Copper
as is found in domestic Flat Twin Cables.
Bob James

Infact crimps should only be used as matched set with the tool from the same
manufacturer

TheScullster

So what method of joining is used if you wish to extend cables that are to
be buried/plastered over?

Phil

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

TheScullster wrote:
So what method of joining is used if you wish to extend cables that are to
be buried/plastered over?

Replace back to the previous joint/socket etc that's accessible ?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
So what method of joining is used if you wish to extend cables that

are to
be buried/plastered over?

Replace back to the previous joint/socket etc that's accessible ?

Clearly impractical in many cases. Soldering is good, but proper
mechanical support of the joint is essential, as solder is very weak.
The effective way to give this support is to twist the 2 copper wires
together for many turns. The far ends will not move relative to each
other. But insulation?

I await the day when we spot weld all joints.

NT

So what sort of crimps had been used in your cases, and how had they
been applied ? Got any photos ?

Alistair Riddell

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, bob wrote:

The use of insulated crimps to join solid copper conductors can cause
fire.
Their are manufacturers who will imply that their crimps will safely
join solid copper conductors, They dont.

Insulated Crimps are only for Stranded copper cable, not Solid Copper
as is found in domestic Flat Twin Cables.

What about stranded twin & earth? It is standard for sizes 4mm^2 and above
and optional for 1.5 and 2.5mm^2.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
Microsoft - because god hates us

Jeff

"bob" wrote in message
m...
Hi
In a number of posts to UK DIY, people are advising the use of crimps
to join cables,
The use of insulated crimps to join solid copper conductors can cause
fire.
Their are manufacturers who will imply that their crimps will safely
join solid copper conductors, They dont.
Today I have been to my 3rd breakdown this year where a crimped cable
has broken down and caused damage.
Insulated Crimps are only for Stranded copper cable, not Solid Copper
as is found in domestic Flat Twin Cables.
Bob James

What were those plastic cap type thingys that you screw on the cables to
join them, they were all over a factory where I used to work

Regards Jeff

The Natural Philosopher

Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk wrote:

TheScullster wrote:

So what method of joining is used if you wish to extend cables that

are to

be buried/plastered over?

Replace back to the previous joint/socket etc that's accessible ?

Clearly impractical in many cases. Soldering is good, but proper
mechanical support of the joint is essential, as solder is very weak.
The effective way to give this support is to twist the 2 copper wires
together for many turns. The far ends will not move relative to each
other. But insulation?

Esy. Slip heatshrink over the cables before soldering, and then slide
over the joint and shrink.

A larger bore piece goes over the complete cable.

I await the day when we spot weld all joints.

NT

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Jeff" writes:

What were those plastic cap type thingys that you screw on the cables to
join them, they were all over a factory where I used to work

"Screwits" is one brand name. A nicname they had back in the
days they were used was "dog ********" due to the way a pair
of them would hang down below a cable. They are still allowed
and commonly used in the US, who call them wire nuts, and are
a significant source of building fires.

Note that there are crimps which look similar too.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jim Michaels
writes

Wire Nuts when properly installed do NOT overheat!

Aluminium wiring is common in the USA. When aluminium wiring is
combined with wire nuts, overheating and fires result.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/ja-54.jpg
http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/fr1-hotbox.jpg

It should be noted that US wiring codes require ALL splices to be in
junction boxes. If a mis-applied wire nut were to overheat and start
the insulation on fire, it would be contained and not lead to a
structure fire.

That's by no means clear, according to the above website. This sequence
of photos make it clear it's possible for fires to travel along the wire
insulation and out of the junction box, possibly spreading to the house
structu

http://www.inspect-ny.com/aluminum/pl2p13.htm

Cynical Git

Jim Michaels wrote:

It seems strange that many otherwise enlightened people persist in
believing cross Atlantic stereotypes.

As in all things American associated with building construction - they
only make it quicker and cheaper to build, apart from that they offer
nothing.

advice wanted on how to build warning lamp circuit Joss Electronics 0 July 12th 04 05:31 PM
Boiler - lock out warning light TBB UK diy 1 June 13th 04 11:41 PM
Old Sony ccd-tr96 giving "warning" Mystere Electronics Repair 1 March 6th 04 10:18 PM
which way round to use ratchet crimping tool? Al Reynolds UK diy 10 February 12th 04 09:22 AM
A warning to all OR... How I nearly burned down my studio without really trying RainLover Metalworking 17 November 28th 03 02:03 PM