Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default How does crimping work?

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 00:46:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

:In article ,
: Trevor Wilson wrote:
: Depends on the use. I'd say the most common crimp terminals are in
: some form of spring loaded contact.
:
: **We're discussing CRIMP terminals. Like this:
:
: http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/...rmp/index.html
:
: Copper is the material, not brass.
:
:Heavy duty electrical ones may be - but the most common ones like in
:computers and cars are brass.

Aha! Now you have finally made the distinction in your argument...

Commonly used terminals in the whitegoods and automotive areas (ie. QC crimp
terminals) are indeed made of brass. But that is about the limit of use for this
material. When it comes to electrical crimp lugs, spade terminals etc, then the
lug/terminal material is always copper, unless you are using aluminium
conductors where the terminal material will be aluminium.

Take a look at the Utilux catalogue (small insulated and un-insulated terminals)
http://www.utilux.com.au/pdf/4.pdf and you will see mentioned at the top of
several pages the material is electro-tinned copper. Only the QC tabs are brass.