Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
aussiblu aussiblu is offline

Default How does crimping work?

And what's the view on the comparative effectiveness of swage
impact crimpers and hydraulic crimpers over ratchet crimpers? I
find them both useful for automotive battery and similar large
cabling but too cumbersome for smaller gauge wiring or close
quarters as they need space and at least two free hands; indeed
with the hydraulic I often need someone hold the cable and
connector while I use two hands to crimp. And the swage impact
crimper is a out of the car bench only tool.

eg http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for an impact swage
crimper and

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-bs104.html for a hydraulic crimper.

I find with the right sized die they do seem to good job on even
small terminals but if the size is even slightly wrong they tend
to crush the terminal so its unusable.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.