Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default How does crimping work?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Sylvia Else wrote:
In the example I posted earlier

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sylviae/crimp.jpg

note how the lug on the left has a different diameter where it's crimped
around the insulation to where it's crimped around the conductor. That
difference existed prior to crimping - the diameter of the hole for the
wire changes part of the way down the shaft so that insulation cannot go
any further.

It's true that this difference is not obviously reflected in the tool I
used, but given that plastic deforms much more easily than metal, I can
believe that having jaws the same size works out OK (it certainly seems
to), and has the advantage that there's no right-way around to insert
the lug into the tool.

IMHO, that type of crimp would require a special tool - not the generic
type for these pre-insulated connectors.

The tool I have works much better on that type of connector than it does
on the type where the lug metal doesn't extend back over the cable
insulator. In the latter case, it merely squeezes some plastic which
then returns to more or less its original shape.

The tool may really be intended for lugs that crimp a longer section of
the conductor, but I haven't come across any such lugs.

Sylvia.