Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to make the HP DeskJet 500 print a 'test page'

Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I used to have one of these (it was later donated to Microsoft's test lab),
but I don't remember. It's usually something like holding down the On Line
or Form Feed button while turning on the power. It can't hurt to experiment;
you're not going to waste any supplies if it doesn't work.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 2, 10:13*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I used to have one of these (it was later donated to Microsoft's test lab),
but I don't remember. It's usually something like holding down the On Line
or Form Feed button while turning on the power. It can't hurt to experiment;
you're not going to waste any supplies if it doesn't work.

THANK YOU!

It was indeed hold down the FF button and cycle the power.

Found a 'dead' jet, but the constant printing on page 3 [landscape
mode], must have awakened it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:03:30 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Look here for the DeskJet 500 info:
http://search.hp.com/query.html?char...eskje+500&sp=1

John
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. I've had mine
from new just as they came out. Must be getting on for 25 years or so
now.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' *not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Look here for the DeskJet 500 info:http://search.hp.com/query.html?char...&la=en&nh=10&s...

John

Thank you. I found that POWER ON while holding down the FONT button
is supposed to print a test page.

Also, found Coniguration Switch Settings and the Printer Control
Commands, the escape sequences.

My manual is in storage. Would like to get a copy of that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 2, 11:15*am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:13:50 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I used to have one of these (it was later donated to Microsoft's test lab),
but I don't remember. It's usually something like holding down the On Line
or Form Feed button while turning on the power. It can't hurt to experiment;
you're not going to waste any supplies if it doesn't work.

What about going to the printer driver and use the Print Test Page
function?

I think that prints the Microsoft page, not the one that exercises all
the printer's functions.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 2, 12:59*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' *not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! *Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. *I've had mine
from new just as they came out. *Must be getting on for 25 years or so
now.

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * * * *Baron.

Yes! Bought it new, also. Still has the highest contrast ratio for
me.

I did run across somebody [in TX?] that refurbishes them for sale, but
they wanted more than $260 at a time when most printers are going for
$40, didn't make sense to get another one. Instead, I just waited.

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an Epson
C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

On Nov 2, 12:59Â*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' Â*not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! Â*Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. Â*I've had
mine from new just as they came out. Â*Must be getting on for 25 years
or so now.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Yes! Bought it new, also. Still has the highest contrast ratio for
me.

Agreed ! Very good print quality. Pity the ink carts are not available
anymore. I've been refilling mine for several years now.

I did run across somebody [in TX?] that refurbishes them for sale, but
they wanted more than $260 at a time when most printers are going for
$40, didn't make sense to get another one. Instead, I just waited.

Quite ! I wouldn't pay more than $10 or $15 for one, particularly when
they get thrown out by firms clearing the IT stock room.

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an Epson
C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

Watch the Epson ! The ink dries very rapidly in the print heads and
they are part of the printer and not the cartridge. I've seen new
demonstration machines dumped because the ink has dried in the print
heads.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 2, 1:50*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:59*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the 'heads up'

I have not been happy with it. Cartridge dries out way too fast.
Have to use everyday, or waste ink to recharge, Wait, using everyday
wastes ink, too. So no way to gain. Plus, the cartridges [the ones
easy to get, cost $30 to $50!!!] Isn't that the price of a desk top
printer?

So,I'm back to "that's a niceprinter, but can't use it. "

What is the best priced, high contrast printer out there? Of course
long lived.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/2/2009 12:59 PM Baron spake thus:

Robert Macy wrote:

Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. I've had mine
from new just as they came out. Must be getting on for 25 years or so
now.

So can you tell me how your printer compares to mine, a DeskJet 932C? I
have the sneaking suspicion that mine is not as good, but really have no
idea.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:26:44 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy
wrote:

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an Epson
C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

I retired my HP LaserJet 5m several months ago. It's basically a
LaserJet 4 Plus in a nicer box and faster raster engine. 600 dpi is
kinda crude as most anything you buy these days will do 1200 dpi. My
main complaint is that the power save feature didn't really turn off
the printer. It sucked power all the time. Still, it was cheap,
reliable, fairly easy to maintain, but slow, crude, a power hog, and a
bad habit of paper jamming at the back rollers. I replaced it with an
HP Laserjet 2200dtn (double sided, 2 trays, network card, 1200dpi) and
am living happily ever after.

I also had an Epson Stylus C60 for a few days. It leaked ink all over
the place, no matter what I did to prevent it. Brand new, with
supplied ink carts. I later ran into the same problem with a
customers C60. I gave up. It's not a common problem, but I seem to
find it all too often.
http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/13409

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an Epson
C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

I retired my HP LaserJet 5m several months ago.

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and will
print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my high
speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes.

Stop, you're making me cry. I had an LJ II, then a III, both with PostScript
cartridges. I'm still using the 4M I bought over 15 years ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:56:17 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes.

Stop, you're making me cry. I had an LJ II, then a III, both with PostScript
cartridges. I'm still using the 4M I bought over 15 years ago.

About 3 years ago, I discovered that only a few of my customers were
still running HP LJII and LJIII printers. So, I cleaned up the few I
had in storage and tried to sell them. No takers. So, I tried to
give them away. No takers. So, I recycled the mess, keeping only the
repair parts collection and toner carts. I did the same with HP LJ4
and LJ5 printers about 6 months ago. The office and storage space was
costing me more than the printers were worth. I even left them by the
roadway with a "free" sign, and found that someone had added a extra
Apple LW2 printer to the pile.

Most of my customers are currently using HP LJ4000/4100 or 4200/4300
series printers. They have their own collection of problems, but are
much faster and more economical to operate (16,000 pages per toner
cart on the 4300). The HP LJ4200 will do 16 to 53 lb paper, so 80 lb
won't work. Speed, smaller footprint, and not having to listen to the
fan cycling all day are the main advantages. Multiple trays, double
sided printing, ethernet, and web admin are other benefits.

For the home, I like the HP LJ2200dtn or LJ2000dn printer.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/hp-laserjet-2200dtn/4505-3159_7-5086439.html
Available used for about $220 with all options or $100 stripped.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

About 3 years ago, I discovered that only a few of my customers
were still running HP LJII and LJIII printers. So, I cleaned up the
few I had in storage and tried to sell them. No takers. So, I tried
to give them away. No takers.

Anyone who wouldn't take a working 4M for free is nuts. You'd be getting a
high-quality PostScript printer for the cost of a new cartridge.

So, I recycled the mess, keeping only the repair parts collection
and toner carts. I did the same with HP LJ4 and LJ5 printers about
6 months ago. The office and storage space was costing me more
than the printers were worth. I even left them by the roadway with a
"free" sign, and found that someone had added a extra Apple LW2
printer to the pile.

The 4M is a great printer. I recently printed out a discount coupon with
extremely small fonts (they had to be around 2pt) and the quality was
amazing.

They go for very little on eBay. I doubt you could find a new printer that
good, for that price. The only problem is that not nearly as fast as
"modern" printer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the recommendation.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

On Nov 2, 1:50Â*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
On Nov 2, 12:59Â*pm, Baron
wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' Â*not the one from MS, but the
one built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! Â*Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. Â*I've had
mine from new just as they came out. Â*Must be getting on for 25
years or so now.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Yes! Â*Bought it new, also. Â*Still has the highest contrast ratio
for me.

Agreed ! Â*Very good print quality. Â*Pity the ink carts are not
available anymore. Â*I've been refilling mine for several years now.

I did run across somebody [in TX?] that refurbishes them for sale,
but they wanted more than $260 at a time when most printers are
going for $40, didn't make sense to get another one. Â*Instead, I
just waited.

Quite ! Â*I wouldn't pay more than $10 or $15 for one, particularly
when they get thrown out by firms clearing the IT stock room.

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an
Epson C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

Watch the Epson ! Â*The ink dries very rapidly in the print heads and
they are part of the printer and not the cartridge. Â*I've seen new
demonstration machines dumped because the ink has dried in the print
heads.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Thanks for the 'heads up'

I have not been happy with it. Cartridge dries out way too fast.
Have to use everyday

Thats about the only way to get good service life out of it.

, or waste ink to recharge, Wait, using everyday
wastes ink, too. So no way to gain. Plus, the cartridges [the ones
easy to get, cost $30 to $50!!!] Isn't that the price of a desk top
printer?

Ouch ! C60 carts can be had very cheaply in the UK along with a chip
reseting tool.

So,I'm back to "that's a niceprinter, but can't use it. "

What is the best priced, high contrast printer out there? Of course
long lived.

Apart from the DJ500 my other two printers are both Samsung Laser. One
is the ML1440 and the other is a MCX4200 multifunction printer copier.
All three are fully supported by Linux.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy wrote:

Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

Wow ! Someone else who still has & uses a Deskjet 500. I've had
mine
from new just as they came out. Must be getting on for 25 years or
so now.

So can you tell me how your printer compares to mine, a DeskJet 932C?
I have the sneaking suspicion that mine is not as good, but really
have no idea.

Its practically the same printer ! But the 500 only has a single black
(colour, if you change the ink) cartridge. The 932C I think has USB as
well as parallel port inputs. As far as print quality is concerned
yours should be better having 600 dpi as against 300 dpi for the DJ500
plus colour. The DJ500C could do colour but you had to change
cartridges. I belive it was the DJ520 that had both black and colour
cartridges in the same carriage.
The DJ500 also had an RS232 serial port as well. Very handy when
attached to a "Netware PS" !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 3, 1:48*pm, Baron wrote:
Robert Macy wrote:
What is the best priced, high contrast printer out there? *Of course
long lived.

Apart from the DJ500 my other two printers are both Samsung Laser. *One
is the ML1440 and the other is a MCX4200 multifunction printer copier.
All three are fully supported by Linux.

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * * * *Baron.

Thanks for that recommendation.

Wow, Korea really knows how to make products. That makes 3 Samsung
products [printer, phone, and washing machine] and 1 Genesis Coupe
[auto] I'd like to buy. As soon as I have the money. But, others
must be buying, so K's economy ought to be doing well, eh?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an Epson
C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.

I retired my HP LaserJet 5m several months ago.

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and will
print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my high
speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

Wasn't that made by HP for Apple ?
The only straight paper path ink jet that I know of was the HP DJ400,
DJ420. That would do 80lb card stock.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:08:26 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and will
print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my high
speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

Wasn't that made by HP for Apple ?

No. The Apple LaserWriter II NT/NTX was made by Canon for Apple. The
major SX series mechanical parts are identical to the HP LJII. The DC
contoller board is the same. However, the plastic case, status
lights, button, i/o, and image processor board (controller) are all
very different.
http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/SX-Catalog/SX-AppLW-IINT.html

The only straight paper path ink jet that I know of was the HP DJ400,
DJ420. That would do 80lb card stock.

Any and all inkjet plotters have a straight paper path. If you want
to print on cardboard, an inkjet plotter is the way to do it. However,
they tend to be more expensive than an ordinary inkjet printer.

Most (not all) inkjet printers that claim to print on photo grade
paper, will have a fairly straight paper path. It's usually done by
removing a panel in the rear of the printer. They need a staight
through path because thick photo paper just hates to be curled around
a roller. The clay coated surface will sometimes crack on really
thick and glossy photo paper.

Drivel: Here's a person that prints on balsa wood with an inkjet:
http://www.parmodels.com/Printed%20Balsa/Printed_Balsa.htm
and aluminum sheet:
http://marytaylorart.com/FAQ/inkAID.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/3/2009 1:58 PM Baron spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So can you tell me how your printer compares to mine, a DeskJet 932C?
I have the sneaking suspicion that mine is not as good, but really
have no idea.

Its practically the same printer ! But the 500 only has a single black
(colour, if you change the ink) cartridge. The 932C I think has USB as
well as parallel port inputs. As far as print quality is concerned
yours should be better having 600 dpi as against 300 dpi for the DJ500
plus colour. The DJ500C could do colour but you had to change
cartridges. I belive it was the DJ520 that had both black and colour
cartridges in the same carriage.

Yes, the 932C has USB, which was how I was using it. Didn't know it was
that good; I got it because it was about the cheapest thing available at
the time (ca. 2000).

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:03:30 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.

Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?

Operator's and/or Service?

perhaps a museum?

Why not spend the $25 and get something made in this century?
Limited to printers supported by windows 3.1?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Liebermann Inscribed thus:

wrote:

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and
will print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my
high speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

Wasn't that made by HP for Apple ?

No. The Apple LaserWriter II NT/NTX was made by Canon for Apple. The
major SX series mechanical parts are identical to the HP LJII. The DC
contoller board is the same.

Ah, thats why !

[...]

It never occurred to me to print on anything other than paper or card
stock.
Thanks for the interesting links. :-)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bob Larter Inscribed thus:

wrote:

As a result of waiting, I've been given an HP LaserJet 5 and an
Epson C60 [color printer], so still don't need another yet.
I retired my HP LaserJet 5m several months ago.
Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and
will print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my
high speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

Wasn't that made by HP for Apple ?

No, Canon. HP, Apple & Brother all used the Canon SX engine for
'their' printers. (Canon's own model numbers using that engine were
the LBP8II & III.)

Thanks. I hadn't realised that was the case.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 3, 8:21*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 10:03:30 -0800 (PST), Robert Macy wrote:
Forgot how to print a 'test page' *not the one from MS, but the one
built in that tests all the jets.
Also, anyone out there have a DeskJet 500 Manual?
Operator's and/or Service?

perhaps a museum?

Why not spend the $25 and get something made in this century?
Limited to printers supported by windows 3.1?

send me the $25 and I will
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 4, 4:21*am, baron wrote:
....snip...
It never occurred to me to print on anything other than paper or card
stock.
Thanks for the interesting links. :-)

--
Best Regards:
* * * * * * * * Baron.

Might be interested in seeing the FLATTEST, and most unique, inkjet
target: a layer of plaster of paris. The special ink sets the
particles sprayed and unsprayed particles are sacrificial, to be used
another time.

This printer puts down a thin layer of plaster of paris, sprays that
layer, then new layer of powder is added and sprayed until a 3D
rendering is completed. I've see 6 inch tall items.

Most incredible of all, I've seen this "Printer" make operating gear
sets that are impossible to assemble! The gears all spin intermeshed,
but it would NOT be possible to assemble such a structure, it just has
to come into existence - operating.

Fascinating, that the 'rinter' has better than 3 mil tolerance and the
inks are colored.

[disclaimer: not associated with this firm, nor gain from discussing
it]

See:
ZCorp color 3D rapid prototyping at Autodesk Imagine
http://www.zcorp.com

here in the Bay Area it's repped by
Sales, Northern California, and Nevada
Peak Solutions LLC
900 Cherry Av, Suite 300
San Bruno, CA 94066
Phone 415-846-7839
http://www.peak-solutions-llc.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Robert Macy Inscribed thus:

On Nov 4, 4:21Â*am, baron wrote:
...snip...
[...]

A rather unique way of creating prototypes.
Thanks for that fascinating insight.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.