Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to make the HP DeskJet 500 print a 'test page'

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:08:26 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes. The printer is the only straight path printer and will
print on 80 lb card stock for bin lables! Can't do that with my high
speed laser printers, so the Apple still has a job.

Wasn't that made by HP for Apple ?

No. The Apple LaserWriter II NT/NTX was made by Canon for Apple. The
major SX series mechanical parts are identical to the HP LJII. The DC
contoller board is the same. However, the plastic case, status
lights, button, i/o, and image processor board (controller) are all
very different.
http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs/SX-Catalog/SX-AppLW-IINT.html

The only straight paper path ink jet that I know of was the HP DJ400,
DJ420. That would do 80lb card stock.

Any and all inkjet plotters have a straight paper path. If you want
to print on cardboard, an inkjet plotter is the way to do it. However,
they tend to be more expensive than an ordinary inkjet printer.

Most (not all) inkjet printers that claim to print on photo grade
paper, will have a fairly straight paper path. It's usually done by
removing a panel in the rear of the printer. They need a staight
through path because thick photo paper just hates to be curled around
a roller. The clay coated surface will sometimes crack on really
thick and glossy photo paper.

Drivel: Here's a person that prints on balsa wood with an inkjet:
http://www.parmodels.com/Printed%20Balsa/Printed_Balsa.htm
and aluminum sheet:
http://marytaylorart.com/FAQ/inkAID.htm

--