Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy Robert Macy is offline

Default How to make the HP DeskJet 500 print a 'test page'

On Nov 3, 7:59*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:56:17 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

wrote:
Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes.

Stop, you're making me cry. I had an LJ II, then a III, both with PostScript
cartridges. I'm still using the 4M I bought over 15 years ago.

About 3 years ago, I discovered that only a few of my customers were
still running HP LJII and LJIII printers. *So, I cleaned up the few I
had in storage and tried to sell them. *No takers. *So, I tried to
give them away. *No takers. *So, I recycled the mess, keeping only the
repair parts collection and toner carts. *I did the same with HP LJ4
and LJ5 printers about 6 months ago. *The office and storage space was
costing me more than the printers were worth. *I even left them by the
roadway with a "free" sign, and found that someone had added a extra
Apple LW2 printer to the pile.

Most of my customers are currently using HP LJ4000/4100 or 4200/4300
series printers. *They have their own collection of problems, but are
much faster and more economical to operate (16,000 pages per toner
cart on the 4300). *The HP LJ4200 will do 16 to 53 lb paper, so 80 lb
won't work. *Speed, smaller footprint, and not having to listen to the
fan cycling all day are the main advantages. *Multiple trays, double
sided printing, ethernet, and web admin are other benefits.

For the home, I like the HP LJ2200dtn or LJ2000dn printer.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/hp-laserjet-2200dtn/4505-3159_...
Available used for about $220 with all options or $100 stripped.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Thanks for the recommendation.