DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HP deskjet -- does everything except print (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/95364-hp-deskjet-does-everything-except-print.html)

blissfix March 16th 05 05:03 PM

HP deskjet -- does everything except print

Hello everywhere,

This is a 3820, fairly new, clean(FWIW) unit. When I open a document
and click print the Windows(XPPro)dialog box opens, the printer is
selected, click OK, then the HP dialog box opens with the images of the
ink resevoirs and "printing..." appears. The green light on the unit
blinks to say a document is being printed. But, nothing happens! No
motors whirr, no carriage moves, no mesgs appear on the screen.

When unplugged and replugged: then the motors whirr and the carriage
moves back and forth. The different lights on the front panal of the
unit blink alternately. Also when the cover is left open things move
and leds blink.

No debris, jammed paper or any obvious damage.

Anyone?

-gl

Bob Shuman March 16th 05 06:09 PM

There is usually a way to run a self test and the unit need not be connected
to a PC. I suggest you visit the HP support site and see how that is done.
Many times you hold both the buttons in simultaneously when powering up for
a second or two and the unit runs the self test followed by a printed page
with the result.

If this works, then verify you have the correct print driver and the printer
was installed correctly under the control panel/printer settings. If this
also looks good, look under the printer properties or a utility program if
one came with the printer and find the services tab. From there you can
usually check the computer communications to verify the cable is good, etc.
If this passes, then try to print a test page from the computer.

So, in summary, the possible causes of your problem a defective printer,
wrong or improperly installed printer or driver, bad printer or USB cable,
defective computer hardware port.

Good luck

Bob

oups.com...

cnctut March 16th 05 10:33 PM

blissfix--

Has it ever printed?
You've checked I'm sure your ink cartridge:
1. Has ink
2. Plastic tape removed from back of cartridge

Tut

cnctut March 17th 05 03:24 AM

blissfix,

Your firmware may be the fault--suggest you go to the HP website
(HP.com) and download latest firmware version. Also, they have live
support available to help diagnose your problem.

(I assume you have ink and cartridge protective tape in back is
removed)

Good luck,

Tut