Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How to make the HP DeskJet 500 print a 'test page'

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:56:17 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Heck, I've got you beat: I still use an Apple Laserwriter II (HP LJ
II) sometimes.

Stop, you're making me cry. I had an LJ II, then a III, both with PostScript
cartridges. I'm still using the 4M I bought over 15 years ago.

About 3 years ago, I discovered that only a few of my customers were
still running HP LJII and LJIII printers. So, I cleaned up the few I
had in storage and tried to sell them. No takers. So, I tried to
give them away. No takers. So, I recycled the mess, keeping only the
repair parts collection and toner carts. I did the same with HP LJ4
and LJ5 printers about 6 months ago. The office and storage space was
costing me more than the printers were worth. I even left them by the
roadway with a "free" sign, and found that someone had added a extra
Apple LW2 printer to the pile.

Most of my customers are currently using HP LJ4000/4100 or 4200/4300
series printers. They have their own collection of problems, but are
much faster and more economical to operate (16,000 pages per toner
cart on the 4300). The HP LJ4200 will do 16 to 53 lb paper, so 80 lb
won't work. Speed, smaller footprint, and not having to listen to the
fan cycling all day are the main advantages. Multiple trays, double
sided printing, ethernet, and web admin are other benefits.

For the home, I like the HP LJ2200dtn or LJ2000dn printer.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/hp-laserjet-2200dtn/4505-3159_7-5086439.html
Available used for about $220 with all options or $100 stripped.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D