Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Solder sniffers beware,,, lead = bad

On 7 Mar 2007 13:29:49 -0800, "Xtrchessreal"
Gave us:

Later when he was not home we broke into the cabinet where it was and
proceeded to play with it. "Oh cool how it beads up in your hands,
see how it pours from one hand to the other!"

Relatively safe, actually. Even ingestion of metallic form mercury
is not that big a deal. Now touch any of many if not all mercuric
compounds and you can get cancer and die within a couple/few months.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7 Mar 2007 13:56:47 -0800, "The Librarian"
Gave us:

On Mar 7, 2:56 am, "Dave Moore" wrote:
Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.
Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
my coordination has improved immensely
when playing the guitar, and no more
weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.

I suppose this is all a bit anecdotal, but thought I'd relay
my experience anyway FWIW.

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

I thought it was mercury.

This struck me a bit funny since my wife
and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm
thinking about changing my screen name to
"The Mad Catter" :-)

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

bet you smell funny, like an Indian or a Mexican ;P

Cilantro dental odor is more than a little foul. Mixed with
cigarette odor and you almost puke.

Riding the bus in North San Diego County is a nightmare when it is
full of Mexican illegals on their way "home" from working the local
farms.

Nauseating even. The odor, and the fact that "home" is here.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7 Mar 2007 13:59:54 -0800, "The Librarian"
Gave us:

that's interesting. I swear milk tastes better.different packaged in
glass bottles.

Milk differs a lot from region to region. Ohio milk tastes great,
and SoCal milk doesn't. After ten years though, I like it, and have
yet to go "back to Ohio" to find my city gone, and milk tasing "funny"
on the rebound.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:33:10 -0600, "Stephen Cowell"
wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

--
JF
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7 Mar 2007 14:21:42 -0800, "The Librarian"
Gave us:

Furthermore, folklore has given rise to the use of various high sulfur
foods as "chelating agents". These include onions, garlic, green foods
and sea-weeds. Sulfur supplements like MSM or NAC have also been used.
These are not actually chelating agents, as chelators involve multiple
bonds to the metal atom and these foods and supplements involve
compounds that are only mono-thiols. Cilantro has also been introduced
[3] and is present in numerous alternative medications like "PCA-Rx",
"Metal-Free" (both of which also contain ALA) and "NDF". Since no one
seems to know what chelating substances may or may not be in cilantro,
and since chelators can be dangerous due to their movement of
neurotoxic heavy-metals, they should be approached with caution. In
general Cilatro consists of an extract of Coriander fructus, being a
plant cultivated in The Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Russia.
The ingredient used by pharmacists and doctors is an etheric oil (0,5%
w/w). Main part of this oil is (+)-Linalool (60% w/v). The chemical
name of Linalool is 3,7-dimethyl-1-6-octadien-3-ol. It is also called
Coriandroleum, reflecting its origin from Coriander fructus. The
boiling point of Linalool ist 198 - 200 degrees Celsius. Other
ingredients of the oil are Limonen, Geraniol, Citronellol, and
Borneol, all having a similar chemical structure as Linalool, i.e.
they are terpenes. Another molecule present in the oil is trans-
tridecen-2-al-1 an aldehyde, being responsible for the tpical smell of
Fructus coriander (like bugs). Geraniol is the isomeric form of
Linalool and found in the oil of rose and palmarosa. The
pharmacological action of terpenes such as Linalool is mainly
spasmolytic and carminative. Similar action are known from the etheric
oils of Fructus chamomillae and Fructus foeniculi. Due to the
combintion of spasmolytic and carminative action of the terpenes heavy
metals are excreated via increasing the renal flux and the G.I. tract.
Neither Fructus coriander nor terpenes are capable of chelating heavy
metals such as mercury or lead due to the lack of sulfur, nitrogen, or
an organic acid structure within the chemical molecule. Fructus
coriander is present in Mexican salsa and can kill bacteria such as
Salmonella typhi. Similar pharmacological action are transmitted by
the oil of Carvi fructus, i.e. Carvi aethericum. Spasmolytic and
carminative acting remedies should be used carefully for
detoxification of heavy metals, because of the lack of chelating
power. If the concentration of heavy metals in the urine increases to
over 17 microgramm / gramm creatinine then the epithelium of the
promimal tubulus of the kidney might be destroyed by the heavy metal,
since it is not "detoxified " by a chelating agent. Lesions of the
epithelium are, hoewever, reversible.

I think this guy manufactures illicit human inebriants. :-]

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 01:25:31 GMT, "Homer J Simpson"
wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly
benign material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally
occuring pine resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in
to make the rosin suitable for some specific purpose ?

I recall making some for a PC production line from water white rosin.

---
And zinc chloride?

Well, I must say that sounds like something _you'd_ pull.

--
JF
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 01:19:45 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
Gave us:

"Steve Noll" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, "Dave Moore"
wrote:

[...]

Not likely lead.
I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and have been
soldering with lead-based solder since I was a kid. Not taking any
precautions either. I got curious and got a lead test about a year
ago. It found nothing. You must really have to eat the stuff for it
to be absorbed.

Steve Noll | The Used Hi Tech Equipment Dealer Directory:

Talking of eating the stuff ...

When I was a kid, myself and a couple of friends all had air guns, that we
used to take out with us on all day forays during the school summer
holidays. We used to buy a box of lead pellets each, and tip great wads of
them into our mouths, because it was quicker to snatch a nice
spit-lubricated reload from your mouth, than it was to rummage amongst the
fluff and half eaten jelly babies in your pockets ... We used to roll these
things around in our mouths for hours. 40 years on, I'm still here, and my
brain is still less addled than even my own ( apparently well-educated )
kids !

Bwuahahahahaha... how do you know you didn't make them that way
with a mutated gene in your "wad"? Tee Hee Hee.

If lead was all that easily ingested, then my pellet activities,
coupled with living in a house with all lead water pipes for the first 21
years of my life, must have ensured that I now weigh several pounds heavier
than I really should ... !!

From the neck up? :-]
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:26:12 -0800, "Joel Kolstad"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in message
.. .
BIG waste of money, and I am glad I work in a segment of the
industry that is exempt.

You really aren't. Sure, you might not be required to produce RoHs-compliant
products, but you'll find that already many parts are no longer available in
non-RoHs packages,

Not mil devices. They cost more, and mil device makers still make
'em!

requiring higher temperatures for soldering, and within a
few years here nothing will be available that isn't that way.

Not necessarily true. It will, however, make our mil devices even
more costly despite their COM being the same or even less.

It will also likely mean higher contract manufacturing costs as
well.

Conversion will cost them a lot, so retaining the old methodology
will get those costs passed to those that get the lesser used
technology.

Very sad.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 19:53:39 -0600, John Fields
Gave us:

wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

I agree.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

Chlorine has a way of doing that... :-]

Were it in my fluxes, I'd have been dead decades ago, and you guys
would have some other asshole hanging around calling folks assholes.
:-]
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mar 7, 7:25Â*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"The Librarian" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Mar 7, 2:56 am, "Dave Moore" wrote:
Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Â*Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Â*Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Â*Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

Â*To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
Â*of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Â*Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

Â*Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.
Â*Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
my coordination has improved immensely
Â*when playing the guitar, and no more
weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.

Â*I suppose this is all a bit anecdotal, but thought I'd relay
Â*my experience anyway FWIW.

Â*I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

I thought it was mercury.

Â*This struck me a bit funny since my wife
and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm
thinking about changing my screen name to
"The Mad Catter" Â*:-)

Â*BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
Â*starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of Â*mercury from crumbling amalgum.

Â*At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
Â*I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

bet you smell funny, like an Indian or a Mexican ;P

"Librarian" as in Unseen University ?

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

η β π

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

I agree.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

Chlorine has a way of doing that... :-]

Were it in my fluxes, I'd have been dead decades ago, and you guys
would have some other asshole hanging around calling folks assholes.
:-]

Here, look at this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7231750@N05/414282820/

and kiss my *ss.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:35:31 -0600, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

You'll likely find very little. Metallic form lead is not
dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so. Cadmium has
been out of use in dangerous form for a long many years now... decades
even.

Decades, eh? Guess the median age of the
equipment we work on in AGA...

Nickel Cadmium, a typical electronics plating media, is NOT one of
the dangerous types, and is likely the most common you'll see in older
equipment. The dangerous uses have indeed been out for a long time,
and the places where more pure bits of cadmium were used is not likely
in the gear you refer to. Certainly not on its exterior.

I must say, I *rarely* work on the exterior of a 50
year old guitar amp... mostly, I'd be inside it.

What is that yellow fuzz growing on the speaker nuts
of my '61 Gibson Falcon? Tasted funny, anyway...
I hear Hammond organs are plagued by 'cadmium fingers'...
you have to zap them when they short out key contacts.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:16:50 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

I agree.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

Chlorine has a way of doing that... :-]

Were it in my fluxes, I'd have been dead decades ago, and you guys
would have some other asshole hanging around calling folks assholes.
:-]

Here, look at this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7231750@N05/414282820/

and kiss my *ss.

****ing retard. Where do you derive from that the Zinc Chloride is a
basic part of rosin flux, as you stated in your post?

Are you really so ****ing stupid as to think that different makers of
flux do not use different formulas?

Why do you have a problem with the word ASS?

Perhaps because you are talking out of yours?

Oh, and if you want to use a sig, at least learn how to do so.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:22:11 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

I must say, I *rarely* work on the exterior of a 50
year old guitar amp... mostly, I'd be inside it.

Figures you'd **** up a perfectly good antique by thinking that
working on it "fixes it". Yeah... you fixed it alright. It is worth
one tenth what it would have been.

What is that yellow fuzz growing on the speaker nuts
of my '61 Gibson Falcon?

Likely cigarette tars. You're too ****ed in the head for it to be
cannabis tars.

Tasted funny, anyway...

Must not have been Cadmium then, or you would be in a world of ****,
dip****.

I hear Hammond organs are plagued by 'cadmium fingers'...
you have to zap them when they short out key contacts.

Do you know ANYTHING about reed type contacts?

Anyone with any brains would switch them out for platinum points,
and a low voltage circuit that fires SCRs or the like in place of that
****. Guess what... no more "fingers" of any kind.

Such knowledge comes from a few years of working on old style
pinball machines, and then on modern version where the voltages
presented to the contacts are low, and the currents are as well.
Pinball mean life between servicing PMLBS goes way up by a factor of
five or more.

I guess your funny tasting tongue just got its fingers zapped.

Just so you know, I never said a goddamned thing about it having
been banned that far back.

Stop adding cross posted groups, Usenet ****tard.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

I agree.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

Chlorine has a way of doing that... :-]

Were it in my fluxes, I'd have been dead decades ago, and you guys
would have some other asshole hanging around calling folks assholes.
:-]

Here, look at this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7231750@N05/414282820/

and kiss my *ss.

****ing retard. Where do you derive from that the Zinc Chloride is a
basic part of rosin flux, as you stated in your post?

Are you really so ****ing stupid as to think that different makers of
flux do not use different formulas?

Look at the picture, then bl*w me.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:11:20 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it...

---
No, it doesn't.

I agree.

Some fluxes often called "acid fluxes" contain zinc chloride, but it
can't be used for electrical work because it's corrosive.

Chlorine has a way of doing that... :-]

Were it in my fluxes, I'd have been dead decades ago, and you guys
would have some other asshole hanging around calling folks assholes.
:-]

Here, look at this picture...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7231750@N05/414282820/

and kiss my *ss.

****ing retard. Where do you derive from that the Zinc Chloride is a
basic part of rosin flux, as you stated in your post?

Are you really so ****ing stupid as to think that different makers of
flux do not use different formulas?

Look at the picture, then bl*w me.

Again I say, you stupid ****:

Show me where ANY other flux maker has any such warnings.

Also, do you have any clue as to how old that **** is?

And you still have yet to answer the question of how you determined
that ALL rosin fluxes contain that.

D'OH!

You ****ing literary wussy!

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassivePrawn" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:22:11 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

I must say, I *rarely* work on the exterior of a 50
year old guitar amp... mostly, I'd be inside it.

Figures you'd **** up a perfectly good antique by thinking that
working on it "fixes it". Yeah... you fixed it alright. It is worth
one tenth what it would have been.

Curious person, this MassivePrawn... not sure if
there's a brain working in there, but it *does*
write English, after a fashion... just fyi, if we don't
fix the antique, it stays broken. Same for you?

What is that yellow fuzz growing on the speaker nuts
of my '61 Gibson Falcon?

Likely cigarette tars. You're too ****ed in the head for it to be
cannabis tars.

Anyone else not getting sense out of this?

Tasted funny, anyway...

Must not have been Cadmium then, or you would be in a world of ****,
dip****.

Irony is lost on it...

I hear Hammond organs are plagued by 'cadmium fingers'...
you have to zap them when they short out key contacts.

Do you know ANYTHING about reed type contacts?

We'll see...

Anyone with any brains would switch them out for platinum points,
and a low voltage circuit that fires SCRs or the like in place of that
****. Guess what... no more "fingers" of any kind.

well, yes, as you point out, I *do* know a thing or three about
contacts, both leaf and reed. Have *you* ever had your hands
inside a Hammond Organ? Do you have any idea how many
contacts are made with each key closure? And why "**** up
a perfectly good antique " by ripping the heart and soul out of
it to replace each key contact set (14, is it) with SCRs... let's see,
14x61x2 (great and swell)... 1708 SCRs. Ludicrous.

Such knowledge comes from a few years of working on old style
pinball machines, and then on modern version where the voltages
presented to the contacts are low, and the currents are as well.
Pinball mean life between servicing PMLBS goes way up by a factor of
five or more.

You play pinball, and I'll play music. Appropriate, eh?
I'll let you play my old Gottleib...

I guess your funny tasting tongue just got its fingers zapped.

As I said, Irony Lost... Milton's other masterpiece.

Just so you know, I never said a goddamned thing about it having
been banned that far back.

See this? : / This is my Don't Give A **** face.

Stop adding cross posted groups, Usenet ****tard.

Haven't touched the Newsgroups: line, myself.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

. just fyi, if we don't
fix the antique, it stays broken. Same for you?

You're the ****ing retard that declared you work on it.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

well, yes, as you point out, I *do* know a thing or three about
contacts, both leaf and reed. Have *you* ever had your hands
inside a Hammond Organ?

I worked at Baldwin, you retarded ****. **** Hammond.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

And why "**** up
a perfectly good antique " by ripping the heart and soul out of
it to replace each key contact set (14, is it) with SCRs... let's see,
14x61x2 (great and swell)... 1708 SCRs. Ludicrous.

You obviously have no clue as to the form factors available.

Also, if you are having your "Cadmium fingers", the ****ing thing
doesn't function properly to begin with.

Simply switching to platinum contacts would solve it without the
switch to a low voltage design.

If these are antiques, what's a retard like you doing opening them up
anyway, dip****? You have all the capability of a freshly laid turd.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

You play pinball, and I'll play music. Appropriate, eh?
I'll let you play my old Gottleib...

Your name should be cower.

So far the only music you have introduced into our group is
flatulence.

You're just ****ed because you suffer from foot in mouth disease,
and need to flail your arms like a little dip****.

Here... I'll clear it up for you...

That **** you have from GC HAS Zinc Chloride in it. That in no way
means that rosin flux has Zinc Chloride in it.

Just like John said, that **** is an acid flux, NOT rosin flux, and
regardless of what GC printed on the can, it is NOT meant for
electronics use.

So take your clueless ass back to your geetar group where you
belong.

You pathetic, cringing little milksop.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

I got picture... you got nothin'.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassivePrawn" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

. just fyi, if we don't
fix the antique, it stays broken. Same for you?

You're the ****ing retard that declared you work on it.

Not much with rhetoric, are we?
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

well, yes, as you point out, I *do* know a thing or three about
contacts, both leaf and reed. Have *you* ever had your hands
inside a Hammond Organ?

I worked at Baldwin, you retarded ****. **** Hammond.

I didn't think so... I used to have a Baldwin, once...
left it at the dump, no usable stuff inside. I suppose
you're the one that invented those silicon contacts?
The ones that are unobtainable, and render the unit
unrepairable (thank god, anyway!).
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:05:17 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

You have aural induced brain damage.

I don't need to have a picture, dip****.

He Go find the song "Nothing At All" by a REAL group of
musicians, Gentle Giant.

That's all you are... nothing at all.

Your old, rusty can of flux is as outdated as you are, and your amp,
and your ****ing mindset.

Face it, dip****, you presumed.

Then, your retarded ass pulled some more twelve year old adolescent
baby bull**** by ****ing around with the quotes in one of your
pathetic replies.

You have "fails to admit when wrong disease".

You are petty, at best.

So crank up the amp, lick those speaker nuts, and kill a few
thousand more brain cells, boy.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:11:47 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

well, yes, as you point out, I *do* know a thing or three about
contacts, both leaf and reed. Have *you* ever had your hands
inside a Hammond Organ?

I worked at Baldwin, you retarded ****. **** Hammond.

I didn't think so... I used to have a Baldwin, once...
left it at the dump, no usable stuff inside. I suppose
you're the one that invented those silicon contacts?
The ones that are unobtainable, and render the unit
unrepairable (thank god, anyway!).

Let's see... google Hammond and get some lame electronic parts
place.

Google Baldwin, and get...

WHAT'S THIS?! A PIANO AND ORGAN COMPANY!

Imagine that. The dip**** clings to outdated CRAP like acid flux
(NOT ROSIN), which is not even meant for electronics, and Organs which
no longer have a maker.

You could be a bit more clueless, but not in this life.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:33:44 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

And why "**** up
a perfectly good antique " by ripping the heart and soul out of
it to replace each key contact set (14, is it) with SCRs... let's see,
14x61x2 (great and swell)... 1708 SCRs. Ludicrous.

You obviously have no clue as to the form factors available.

I don't care if you put 300 of them in a package,
you still have to connect them. Still doesn't change
the requirement for 1700 some-odd devices.

Also, if you are having your "Cadmium fingers", the ****ing thing
doesn't function properly to begin with.

Actually, the circuit is so low impedance that it
*will* function with some shorting going on...
we installed the TrekII percussion kit (I'm *sure*
you're familiar with it) and it wouldn't trigger on
the top harmonic... we had to use the next one
down. That's when I found out about the fingers...
you can zap 'em with a charged up capacitor
if you want, we like the sound of having the top
harmonic there with perc. so we didn't bother.

Simply switching to platinum contacts would solve it without the
switch to a low voltage design.

Einstein, it's not the contacts that are cadmium... the
leaves are cadmium plate. The contacts are self-cleaning,
as all contacts are... but *you* knew that, right?

If these are antiques, what's a retard like you doing opening them up
anyway, dip****? You have all the capability of a freshly laid turd.

As we can see, the anal fixation is strong in this
one.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:22:57 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

Einstein, it's not the contacts that are cadmium... the
leaves are cadmium plate. The contacts are self-cleaning,
as all contacts are... but *you* knew that, right?

Switching to platinum contacts would ALSO involve new, NON Cadmium
"fingers", dip****.

Pretty simple ****, but I don't expect an meth addled doper to be
able to grasp the process. Hell, you don't even know how to make a
sig work properly.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 07:22:57 GMT, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

As we can see, the anal fixation is strong in this
one.

Typical... No argument so the stupid **** bails out, just like he
did when busted on his contention that rosin flux contains Zinc
Chloride.

Good going, mental midget.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Dave Moore wrote:
[...]

If i remember correctly, selenium is a poison also, and presumedly it
makes your sweat smell like a stinky skunk.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

In article ,
Joel Kolstad wrote:
You really aren't. Sure, you might not be required to produce
RoHs-compliant products, but you'll find that already many parts are no
longer available in non-RoHs packages, requiring higher temperatures
for soldering, and within a few years here nothing will be available
that isn't that way.

I'm curious. Which parts have they changed and how do they make them
*impossible* to solder with lead based stuff?

IMHO, lead based solder will always be available for repairing older
equipment.

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

: wrote:
:
: Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
: play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
: Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
: the edges of doorways on occasion,
: instead of gracefully passing through them.
: Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
: my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
: almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
: in the hands.
: ... So I did some
: research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
: just might well be those of lead poisoning.
:
: Dave, If you really think that your lead level may be that high,
: consider getting a blood test. They can also evaluate other heavy
: metals. If the symptoms are that noticeable, it's best to resolve
: that one way or the other, right?

Agreed. Right now I'm heavilay involved in trying to
finish some projects which thanks to Hurricane Katrina are
running almost a year behind. In about 1 more week
I should be caught up to the point where I'll be satisfied
enough to take a break and get the blood work done, but
also something I've been planning to do for a long time.
Get my frikken crumbling teeth taken care of.

I find it rather interesting that I haven't been to a dentist in
over 20 years and the only teeth that I am having any problems
with are the teeth that have supposedly been saved by dentists.
Every tooth in my mouth that was never touched by a dentist
is just fine.

If I had it to do over again, I would have never had any work
done on my teeth unless I had some severe problem that
without a doubt required action. As it is, I never ever had
a toothache or anything. In every case, I was informed by
dentists in the course of routine checkups that I had cavities
that needed to be fixed. In one case, the dentist yanked all 4
of my rear molars claiming that I'd be glad I did later on in life.
Well he couldn't have been more wrong. In fact, I'm really
sorry I let da' bastahd do it )`: I think he might have been
gouging the medicaid system in California, and I was young and
naive at the time.

:
: To make a long story short, for the last couple
: of months I've been munching mass quantities
: of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
: Also I've been supplementing with selenium.
:
: If you really have high lead content, you'll probably get to take some
: strong chelating agents made with mercaptans. It will be great.
: (Known to clear an entire building due to the odor)
:
: I also read about how lead poisoning was what
: made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
: expression "Mad Hatter" came from.
:
: That would be mercury, but that would make for a great cocktail.

Yeah, I guess that's right. I think stumbled on that story whilst
researching lead poisoning which is why I probably got it
mixed up with lead.

:
: BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
: starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
: if some of the metal toxicity might also be
: a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.
:
: After denying possible problems for years, many dentists are now
: discontinuing use of mercury for some reason.

probably the reason, mercury is frikken toxic !!! :-)

They don't want you to eat fish more than twice a week,
yet everyday a person get's something like ten times the
amount from their amalgum fillings.

:
: At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
: of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
: to be keeping it in check.
: I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
: purported to have chelating properties.
:
: Hadn't heard that one.

Metals block the neuro receptors in the brain.
One thing I've noticed since I've been self
chelating, is that it no longer seems to take
as much coffee to get the lead out of my ass
(pun intended) in the morning.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote in message oups.com...
: On 7 Mar, 08:56, "Dave Moore" wrote:
:
[...]
: sensible thing would be get a blood lead test, as you may be barking
: up the wrong tree otherwise. Or meowing.
:
: Is there genuine evidence for the chelating effects of the things you
: mention?
:
: Re nutritional supplements, lead does some of its harm by competing in
: the body with iron, calcium and zinc. Thus some of the effects can be
: reduced by increasing levels of these minerals to the upper end of
: what is healthy. In so doing one must also raise levels of the
: minerals iron, calcium and zinc compete with, to prevent deficiencies.
:
: Vitamin C is also a weak lead chelator. See wikipedia's lead poisoning
: article.
:
: But all this is only useful if you actually do have a lead problem.
: You need to find out, vague guesses arent much good.
:
:
: NT

True vague guesses aren't much good, but in my case the things
I'm doing have really made a huge difference. I was to the
point where I could hardly play the guitar. It was really weird.
I didn't really feel as though I was uncoordinated or anything,
but when I'd try to play I would miss strings that I rally thought
I was going to hit. It was like there was some kinda disconnect
from the brain to the muscles. Now I'm tearin it up again.

I suppose I should mention that I started taking L-Carnitine
and Coenzyme Q-10 also. Not because of my suspicions about
possible lead poisoning, but simply because they're suppose to
be good for cell rejuvenation in general. At my ripe old age of
52, one begins to think about such things :-)
So I suppose there's the possiblity that these supplements
mighta played a part in the turn around, dunno.

I plan to get tested fairly soon, and when I do, I'll post a follow up.

:

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Eeyore" wrote in message ...
:
:
: Dave Moore wrote:
:
: Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
: post about my recent experience. So, since
: I finally remembered;
:
: Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
: play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
: Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
: the edges of doorways on occasion,
: instead of gracefully passing through them.
:
: Alcohol !
:
:
: Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
: my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
: almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
: in the hands.
:
: Were you in the habit of licking your fingers while soldering ? Or chewing the
: solder ?
:
: If not forget lead.
:
: Graham

There were times probably when I would reach into my
mouth to try to catch the crumbling mercury amalgam ;-)
:

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
:
: "Dave Moore" wrote in message
: news:W7vHh.3913$B7.2859@bigfe9...
[...]
: Lead as a metal does not fume at soldering temperatures, such that it can be
: ingested in that way. The fumes and vapour that you see when soldering, are
: from the flux contained in the solder, burning away. There is some evidence
: that prolongued exposure to the rosin based fluxes used to date, can cause
: respiratory tract ailments such as industrial asthma, and may in extreme
: circumstances be carcinogenic. The fluxes that are now being used with the
: new-fangled lead-free solder that has been forced on us in Europe as a
: result of new legislation, are quite acidic, and very aggressive compared to
: the previous rosin compounds, so bench ventilation is now rather more
: important than it was.
:
: It may be possible to suffer a degree of lead poisoning from continuous
: handling of the basic metal, although it is a fairly inert material that is
: not generally associated with absorption through the skin, unlike beryllium
: for instance which is used elsewhere in electronics. Some commentators have
: also refuted that there is any free lead toxicity issue with solder, as it
: is a stable alloy with tin, and chemically locked in. Even over 30 years of
: handling the stuff daily ( as indeed I have myself ), it is unlikely that
: you would have ingested as much lead as you would have from the exhausts of
: gasoline powered vehicles in say a year, prior to the switchover to unleaded
: some years back. Once you have metal deposits in your body, I understand
: that it is very difficult to drive them out, which is why this kind of
: toxicity is cumulative.
:
: There has been some suggestion that in ye olden tymes, people were
: lead-poisoned by drinking wine and cider from mugs made of pewter
: (traditionally, another tin / lead alloy of the ratio of about 4 :1, but can
: have other components also). The acidity of the drink supposedly broke down
: the alloy, and dissolved the lead, giving it a nice route into the body.
:
: Many people now seem to suffer "short-term memory loss". People everywhere
: joke about it. One of the games console makers have even brought out a
: memory training game that they have been advertising on tv over here using
: the TV presenter from "Millionaire". I know people who have never worked
: with solder in their lives, or any form of lead come to that, who claim that
: they can be thinking of something that they have to say, and by the time
: they come to say it, it's gone ... Sound familiar ? This is reaching
: epidemic proportions over here, so what's the cause ? Crap that they're
: putting in the food ? The water ? Genetically modded oils that they are
: cooking stuff in ? Much more worrying, I think, than lead from solder ...
:
: Arfa

Thanks for the opinions,
All I can say is that I have been handling the holy hell out of the
stuff for a hell of a long time.. Consider this, I would solder
some stuff then pick up the guitar play a bit.
Then solder some more, play a bit more, on and on for maybe
12 hours/day at times.
So now picture this on a 'time off' off day (a real rarity:-)
I waltz into the room play a bit of guitar then break for a sandwich.
What just happened here? I've just unthinkingly
transfered the lead that's accumulated on my guitar strings to
my sandwich. Scarf the sandwich, then it's in the body.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Meat Plow" wrote in message news : On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 01:09:45 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:
:
:
: "Stephen Cowell" wrote in message
: . net...
:
: "Arfa Daily" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Dave Moore" wrote in message
[...]
: Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it... I've been poisoned with
: zinc before (welding) and you need to drink milk for
: the chelating calcium in it. Bad sick headache... not sure
: of prolonged low-level exposure, but fume hoods are nice.
: __
: Steve
: .
:
: That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly benign
: material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally occuring pine
: resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in to make the
: rosin suitable for some specific purpose ?
:
: Arfa
:
: Man have I woofed up volumes of "solder smoke" over the 25+ years on the
: bench. I used to love walking into the shop on a cold clear morning and
: waft in the mixture of rosin, pipe, and cigar smoke floating through the
: air. There is nothing wrong with me these days, just ask my son, either
: head will tell you so.
:
: --
: Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
:
: COOSN-266-06-25794

I suppose it should be mentioned that soder for electronic work
to my knowledge doesn't have zinc Chloride in it.
I made the mistake of using some flux with Zinc Chloride in it
years ago on a circuit. It took me quite awhile to troubleshoot
why it didn't work right down to it's root cause, the conductivity
of the zinc on the PCB )`:
:
:

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Meat Plow" wrote in message news : On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, Dave Moore wrote:
:
[...]
: I would have thought that this would have happened much sooner than 30
: years.
:
: --
: Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004
:
: COOSN-266-06-25794

Why so? Metal toxicity is cumulative no? To me that means
it ain't a problem until it *is* a problem :-)

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in message ...
: On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, "Dave Moore"
: Gave us:
:
: Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
: post about my recent experience. So, since
: I finally remembered;
:
: Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
: play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
: Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
: the edges of doorways on occasion,
: instead of gracefully passing through them.
: Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
: my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
: almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
: in the hands.
:
: Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
: 30 years involved in electronics with a good
: 20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
: amp designs, might have taken it's toll.
:
: That's just stupid. For a definitive control, go to your doctor and
: tell him you need a heavy metals screening. Check for lead, mercury,

: and cadmium.
:
: You'll likely find very little. Metallic form lead is not
: dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so. Cadmium has
: been out of use in dangerous form for a long many years now... decades
: even.
:
:
:
:
: So I did some
: research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
: just might well be those of lead poisoning.
:
: To make a long story short, for the last couple
: of months I've been munching mass quantities
: of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
: Also I've been supplementing with selenium.
:
: You can hurt yourself by taking too much of many vitamins. E and
: selenium are just a couple. You should take no more than that found
: in a normal multivitamin.
:
: Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
: can help rid the body of metals.
:
: Better off merely getting a blood screening to find out if any of
: your actions are even warranted at all.
:
: Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
: my coordination has improved immensely
: when playing the guitar, and no more
: weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.
:
: Hahahaha... ever heard of placebo response?
:
: How about psychosomatic illness?

Sure I've heard of such things.
I've also heard of arrogant assholes.
Enjoy your superiority, and go **** yourself.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

[...]

Crikey, this ****tard Massive throng or whatever, has an even bigger
ego problem than I do :-)

lead free solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 11 September 2nd 06 06:36 PM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM
Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder? [email protected] Home Repair 49 April 19th 06 09:08 PM
Lead Free solder Michael Chare UK diy 38 March 4th 06 04:56 PM
Lead based solder 4square UK diy 34 May 2nd 05 03:07 PM