Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default Solder sniffers beware,,, lead = bad

Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.
Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
my coordination has improved immensely
when playing the guitar, and no more
weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.

I suppose this is all a bit anecdotal, but thought I'd relay
my experience anyway FWIW.

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

This struck me a bit funny since my wife
and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm
thinking about changing my screen name to
"The Mad Catter" :-)

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Bob Bob is offline

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

Thats widely believed to be due to mercury,
not lead, as mercury-based compounds were
used in the manufacture of felt hats in the
18th and 19th century.

From what little I'v read on the subject, lead

poisoning causes dimentia and sympotoms of general
illness such as abdominal pain whereas mercury
can cause more severe psychotic symptoms such
as hallucinations.

Bob

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Rob Rob is offline

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, "Dave Moore"
wrote:

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.
... So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

Dave, If you really think that your lead level may be that high,
consider getting a blood test. They can also evaluate other heavy
metals. If the symptoms are that noticeable, it's best to resolve
that one way or the other, right?

To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

If you really have high lead content, you'll probably get to take some
strong chelating agents made with mercaptans. It will be great.
(Known to clear an entire building due to the odor)

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

That would be mercury, but that would make for a great cocktail.

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

After denying possible problems for years, many dentists are now
discontinuing use of mercury for some reason.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Hadn't heard that one.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7 Mar, 08:56, "Dave Moore" wrote:

[...]

sensible thing would be get a blood lead test, as you may be barking
up the wrong tree otherwise. Or meowing.

Is there genuine evidence for the chelating effects of the things you
mention?

Re nutritional supplements, lead does some of its harm by competing in
the body with iron, calcium and zinc. Thus some of the effects can be
reduced by increasing levels of these minerals to the upper end of
what is healthy. In so doing one must also raise levels of the
minerals iron, calcium and zinc compete with, to prevent deficiencies.

Vitamin C is also a weak lead chelator. See wikipedia's lead poisoning
article.

But all this is only useful if you actually do have a lead problem.
You need to find out, vague guesses arent much good.

NT

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Dave Moore wrote:

Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.

Alcohol !

Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Were you in the habit of licking your fingers while soldering ? Or chewing the
solder ?

If not forget lead.

Graham

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Lead as a metal does not fume at soldering temperatures, such that it can be
ingested in that way. The fumes and vapour that you see when soldering, are
from the flux contained in the solder, burning away. There is some evidence
that prolongued exposure to the rosin based fluxes used to date, can cause
respiratory tract ailments such as industrial asthma, and may in extreme
circumstances be carcinogenic. The fluxes that are now being used with the
new-fangled lead-free solder that has been forced on us in Europe as a
result of new legislation, are quite acidic, and very aggressive compared to
the previous rosin compounds, so bench ventilation is now rather more
important than it was.

It may be possible to suffer a degree of lead poisoning from continuous
handling of the basic metal, although it is a fairly inert material that is
not generally associated with absorption through the skin, unlike beryllium
for instance which is used elsewhere in electronics. Some commentators have
also refuted that there is any free lead toxicity issue with solder, as it
is a stable alloy with tin, and chemically locked in. Even over 30 years of
handling the stuff daily ( as indeed I have myself ), it is unlikely that
you would have ingested as much lead as you would have from the exhausts of
gasoline powered vehicles in say a year, prior to the switchover to unleaded
some years back. Once you have metal deposits in your body, I understand
that it is very difficult to drive them out, which is why this kind of
toxicity is cumulative.

There has been some suggestion that in ye olden tymes, people were
lead-poisoned by drinking wine and cider from mugs made of pewter
(traditionally, another tin / lead alloy of the ratio of about 4 :1, but can
have other components also). The acidity of the drink supposedly broke down
the alloy, and dissolved the lead, giving it a nice route into the body.

Many people now seem to suffer "short-term memory loss". People everywhere
joke about it. One of the games console makers have even brought out a
memory training game that they have been advertising on tv over here using
the TV presenter from "Millionaire". I know people who have never worked
with solder in their lives, or any form of lead come to that, who claim that
they can be thinking of something that they have to say, and by the time
they come to say it, it's gone ... Sound familiar ? This is reaching
epidemic proportions over here, so what's the cause ? Crap that they're
putting in the food ? The water ? Genetically modded oils that they are
cooking stuff in ? Much more worrying, I think, than lead from solder ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dave Moore wrote:

Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

There we are! Don't overdo it.

Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.

Selenium is an element in the same group as Sulphur. Don't
mix up its use for rectifiers with hopefully medical effects.

Regards,
H.

PS
Medicine is the more effective the less we understand it.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On a sunny day (Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600) it happened "Dave Moore"
wrote in W7vHh.3913$B7.2859@bigfe9:

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.

It is normal at age 110, do not worry.
On a more serious way, I too have been soldering for say
50 years, and yes, my postings... ;-) but anyways I
can still stand still in the dark with my eyes closed as long as I want.

Stay clear of the marijana though:
http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/03/06....ap/index.html

hehe
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
[...]

The modern version is phthalate poisoning from leaching out of plastic
packaging and bottles. I have an industrial chemist friend in the food
industry , seriously concerned about this. I am coming to agree with him.
When I was young you never saw youngsters with bottles (glass or plastic)
hanging out of their mouths all the time. Anyone would think the function of
these ubiquitous bottles of water was psychological, like baby's dummies.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, "Dave Moore"
Gave us:

Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll.

That's just stupid. For a definitive control, go to your doctor and
tell him you need a heavy metals screening. Check for lead, mercury,
and cadmium.

You'll likely find very little. Metallic form lead is not
dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so. Cadmium has
been out of use in dangerous form for a long many years now... decades
even.

So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

You can hurt yourself by taking too much of many vitamins. E and
selenium are just a couple. You should take no more than that found
in a normal multivitamin.

Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.

Better off merely getting a blood screening to find out if any of
your actions are even warranted at all.

Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
my coordination has improved immensely
when playing the guitar, and no more
weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.

Hahahaha... ever heard of placebo response?

How about psychosomatic illness?
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

In article ,
MassiveProng wrote:
Metallic form lead is not
dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so.

Indeed. Even in areas where lead pipes are used for water there's little
evidence of lead getting in the body. Lead compounds are a different
matter.

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Not likely lead.
I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and have been
soldering with lead-based solder since I was a kid. Not taking any
precautions either. I got curious and got a lead test about a year
ago. It found nothing. You must really have to eat the stuff for it
to be absorbed.

Steve Noll | The Used Hi Tech Equipment Dealer Directory:
| http://www.big-list.com
| Peltier Information Directory:
| http://www.peltier-info.com

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

Mercury poisoning, not lead poisoning...
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

[...]

So have you considered just getting a test done? There are real systems for
Dx-ing and treating that sort of thing that don't involve guessing and eating
odd weeds.

I believe it was mercury that got the hatmakers.

Are we to blame lead for some of the blithering rage, inchoate hatreds and
shrieking, unending verbal spewage that we are subjected to around here.

They say it was the lead that caused house painters to become the drunks that
they historically were. Is this refuted by the fact that so many painters are
still drunks even though the lead is gone. Does it explain more of the drinking
habits of some of our players around here.

Get the fillings replaced with composite while you're at it. There's enough
idiocy here already.

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Seaweed...J.P.
Hadn't heard that one.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:02:18 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Do not forget the possibility of virus damage that has not been
discovered yet..J.P.
Arfa

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to
post about my recent experience. So, since
I finally remembered;

Not long ago I started noticing that when I would
play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings.
Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into
the edges of doorways on occasion,
instead of gracefully passing through them.
Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like
my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird
almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness
in the hands.

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

To make a long story short, for the last couple
of months I've been munching mass quantities
of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day.
Also I've been supplementing with selenium.

Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that
can help rid the body of metals.
Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing
my coordination has improved immensely
when playing the guitar, and no more
weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late.

I suppose this is all a bit anecdotal, but thought I'd relay
my experience anyway FWIW.

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

This struck me a bit funny since my wife
and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm
thinking about changing my screen name to
"The Mad Catter" :-)

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Not likely lead.
I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and have been
soldering with lead-based solder since I was a kid. Not taking any
precautions either. I got curious and got a lead test about a year
ago. It found nothing. You must really have to eat the stuff for it
to be absorbed.

Steve Noll | The Used Hi Tech Equipment Dealer Directory:
| http://www.big-list.com
| Peltier Information Directory:
| http://www.peltier-info.com

I remember in the good ole days when i was a kid and we used to shine up
coins with mercury............

Still alive. Maybe not smarter though.......

Bob

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Mercury in teeth fillings is a known problem ..........

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Dave Moore" wrote in message

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

Lead as a metal does not fume at soldering temperatures, such that it can
be ingested in that way. The fumes and vapour that you see when soldering,
are from the flux contained in the solder, burning away. There is some
evidence that prolongued exposure to the rosin based fluxes used to date,
can cause respiratory tract ailments such as industrial asthma, and may in
extreme circumstances be carcinogenic.

Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it... I've been poisoned with
zinc before (welding) and you need to drink milk for
the chelating calcium in it. Bad sick headache... not sure
of prolonged low-level exposure, but fume hoods are nice.
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

You'll likely find very little. Metallic form lead is not
dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so. Cadmium has
been out of use in dangerous form for a long many years now... decades
even.

Decades, eh? Guess the median age of the
equipment we work on in AGA...
__
Steve
..

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Dave Moo
Soldering takes place at much too low temperature for solder to vaporize and
fume. Most "lead" problems are a result of poor hygiene..... not washing
your hands after handling circuit board and solder and BEFORE you handle
food, pick your nose or your teeth or chew on your finger nails.
Daniel Sofie

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Dave Moore" wrote in message

Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps
30 years involved in electronics with a good
20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar
amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some
research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms
just might well be those of lead poisoning.

Has your wife been making "special health drinks" for you recently?

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mar 7, 1:56 am, "Dave Moore" wrote:
[...]

I've done some research on this as well. Any heavy metal poisoning
will eventually find its way to the nervous system. Once there it
will stay and not be detectable in a blood test. So you have to go
with other diagnostic methods. The chelating materials will help over
a long time but metals are like sand in your shoes. You will never
get rid of it completely.

When I was about 10 my dad brought home a bottle of pure Mercury. He
showed us how cool it was on a steel plate and warned us not to touch
it. Nice of him huh?

Later when he was not home we broke into the cabinet where it was and
proceeded to play with it. "Oh cool how it beads up in your hands,
see how it pours from one hand to the other!"

We did that for several hours until all of it had dissipated or fell
on the floor etc. Vapors are supposed to worse since it gets directly
into the blood stream via your lung. Never said anything to my dad
and he was never curious about the empty bottle. Nothing ever came of
it. 30 Years later I was researching my newly diagnosed ADHD and
found that mercury poisoning is suspected as a cause. And a little
memory suddenly snapped up from my past. I made a Doc appointment and
had several viles of blood taken for a wide variety of tests but
nothing was abnormal. I took a bunch of chelating minerals and
vitamins for several months but never noticed a difference.

I may have had an acute mercury poisoning when I was 10 but over time
one incident may not be as significant. Breathing lead on a regular
basis may have more of an impact. I would think that if it were that
damaging that all kinds of safe handling practices would be
implemented even controlled. But, it would not be the first time a
known toxic substance was sold to the public without any warnings.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mar 7, 2:56 am, "Dave Moore" wrote:
[...]

I thought it was mercury.

This struck me a bit funny since my wife
and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm
thinking about changing my screen name to
"The Mad Catter" :-)

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

bet you smell funny, like an Indian or a Mexican ;P

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mar 7, 5:37 am, "N Cook" wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
[...]

electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home.graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/- Hide quoted text -

that's interesting. I swear milk tastes better.different packaged in
glass bottles.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Furthermore, folklore has given rise to the use of various high sulfur
foods as "chelating agents". These include onions, garlic, green foods
and sea-weeds. Sulfur supplements like MSM or NAC have also been used.
These are not actually chelating agents, as chelators involve multiple
bonds to the metal atom and these foods and supplements involve
compounds that are only mono-thiols. Cilantro has also been introduced
[3] and is present in numerous alternative medications like "PCA-Rx",
"Metal-Free" (both of which also contain ALA) and "NDF". Since no one
seems to know what chelating substances may or may not be in cilantro,
and since chelators can be dangerous due to their movement of
neurotoxic heavy-metals, they should be approached with caution. In
general Cilatro consists of an extract of Coriander fructus, being a
plant cultivated in The Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Russia.
The ingredient used by pharmacists and doctors is an etheric oil (0,5%
w/w). Main part of this oil is (+)-Linalool (60% w/v). The chemical
name of Linalool is 3,7-dimethyl-1-6-octadien-3-ol. It is also called
Coriandroleum, reflecting its origin from Coriander fructus. The
boiling point of Linalool ist 198 - 200 degrees Celsius. Other
ingredients of the oil are Limonen, Geraniol, Citronellol, and
Borneol, all having a similar chemical structure as Linalool, i.e.
they are terpenes. Another molecule present in the oil is trans-
tridecen-2-al-1 an aldehyde, being responsible for the tpical smell of
Fructus coriander (like bugs). Geraniol is the isomeric form of
Linalool and found in the oil of rose and palmarosa. The
pharmacological action of terpenes such as Linalool is mainly
spasmolytic and carminative. Similar action are known from the etheric
oils of Fructus chamomillae and Fructus foeniculi. Due to the
combintion of spasmolytic and carminative action of the terpenes heavy
metals are excreated via increasing the renal flux and the G.I. tract.
Neither Fructus coriander nor terpenes are capable of chelating heavy
metals such as mercury or lead due to the lack of sulfur, nitrogen, or
an organic acid structure within the chemical molecule. Fructus
coriander is present in Mexican salsa and can kill bacteria such as
Salmonella typhi. Similar pharmacological action are transmitted by
the oil of Carvi fructus, i.e. Carvi aethericum. Spasmolytic and
carminative acting remedies should be used carefully for
detoxification of heavy metals, because of the lack of chelating
power. If the concentration of heavy metals in the urine increases to
over 17 microgramm / gramm creatinine then the epithelium of the
promimal tubulus of the kidney might be destroyed by the heavy metal,
since it is not "detoxified " by a chelating agent. Lesions of the
epithelium are, hoewever, reversible.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mar 7, 3:56 am, "Dave Moore" wrote:
[...]

Before you start fooling around with dangerous selenium compounds read
this excerpt from on the the selenium compound MSDS sheets. Animals
have died from eating plants containing as little as 5 PPM of
selenium. Just recently there was a recall because some company
accidentally let sunburned potatoes be bagged and sold to the
consumer. Not nice stuff at all!

Selenium compounds are poison by inhalation and intravenous routes.
Some selenium compounds are experimental carcinogens.
Long-term exposure may be a cause of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in
humans, just as it may cause "blind staggers" in cattle.
Elemental Selenium has low acute systemic toxicity, but dust or fumes
can cause serious irritation of the respiratory tract. Inorganic
selenium compounds can cause dermatitis. Garlic odor of breath is a
common symptom. Pallor, nervousness, depression, digestive
disturbances and death have been reported in cases of chronic exposure
(Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, eighth
edition).

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Stephen Cowell" wrote in message
. net...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Dave Moore" wrote in message

[...]

.

That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly benign
material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally occuring pine
resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in to make the
rosin suitable for some specific purpose ?

Arfa

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 14:05:44 GMT, Steve Noll
Gave us:

Not likely lead.
I work in the electronics manufacturing industry and have been
soldering with lead-based solder since I was a kid. Not taking any
precautions either. I got curious and got a lead test about a year
ago. It found nothing. You must really have to eat the stuff for it
to be absorbed.

Not even then. Metallic form lead is simply not that hazardous.

The "white lead" in a car battery gleans off surface molecules
pretty badly, and I wouldn't want to handle that much, and the old
lead hatters used to use got a lot of "free molecules" in their bodies
by touch, and food handling, but these modern alloys, as well as
simple bullet lead are not that big a problem... at all.

Many gun shot wound treatments have occasions where they don't
bother committing to surgery to remove the bullet. Only to patch up
the damage it did in its path to its resting point. Shotgun pellets
get left in a lot of cases as well. Our body fluids "temper" the
surface too, and then no lead gleans off, if any did to begin with.

I too have soldered for years, and for one thing, there is No lead
in the smoke that rises. That is volatized flux... PERIOD.

The melting point of lead yields no fumes that contain lead. One
would have to boil it. Now Mercury, is liquid at room temp, and has a
very low boiling point, and is VERY dangerous when boiling.

Lead alloy solders are completely safe...

RoHS sucks and is a ruse to buck up the euro dollar, and force the
world to re-tool and re-chem all their processes. Nothing more.

BIG waste of money, and I am glad I work in a segment of the
industry that is exempt.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 09:12:31 -0500, PeterD Gave
us:

wrote:

I also read about how lead poisoning was what
made the Hat makers go mad and is where the
expression "Mad Hatter" came from.

Mercury poisoning, not lead poisoning...

They ALSO suffered from lead infusion problems from the hat bands,
not merely their use of mercury with other aspects of old world style
hat making crafts.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Talking of eating the stuff ...

When I was a kid, myself and a couple of friends all had air guns, that we
used to take out with us on all day forays during the school summer
holidays. We used to buy a box of lead pellets each, and tip great wads of
them into our mouths, because it was quicker to snatch a nice
spit-lubricated reload from your mouth, than it was to rummage amongst the
fluff and half eaten jelly babies in your pockets ... We used to roll these
things around in our mouths for hours. 40 years on, I'm still here, and my
brain is still less addled than even my own ( apparently well-educated )
kids ! If lead was all that easily ingested, then my pellet activities,
coupled with living in a house with all lead water pipes for the first 21
years of my life, must have ensured that I now weigh several pounds heavier
than I really should ... !!

Arfa

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"TT_Man" wrote in message

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Mercury in teeth fillings is a known problem ..........

With the amount of amalgam in my mouth, I reckon that I must already be two
points to the right of dead then ...

Arfa

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"The Librarian" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

"Librarian" as in Unseen University ?

Arfa

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 16:18:58 GMT, "TT_Man" Gave
us:

BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings
starting to break lose, so I have to wonder
if some of the metal toxicity might also be
a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum.

At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings
of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem
to be keeping it in check.
I plan to look into Chlorella which also is
purported to have chelating properties.

Mercury in teeth fillings is a known problem ..........

Only if they were placed there by an incompetent dentist.

A properly done mercury/silver amalgam filling gets over 95% of the
mercury squoze out during placement, and the rest is pretty well
trapped.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly
benign material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally
occuring pine resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in
to make the rosin suitable for some specific purpose ?

I recall making some for a PC production line from water white rosin.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"MassiveProng" wrote in message
BIG waste of money, and I am glad I work in a segment of the
industry that is exempt.

You really aren't. Sure, you might not be required to produce RoHs-compliant
products, but you'll find that already many parts are no longer available in
non-RoHs packages, requiring higher temperatures for soldering, and within a
few years here nothing will be available that isn't that way.

Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:35:31 -0600, "Stephen Cowell"
Gave us:

"MassiveProng" wrote in
message ...

You'll likely find very little. Metallic form lead is not
dangerous, and the lead alloyed in solder even less so. Cadmium has
been out of use in dangerous form for a long many years now... decades
even.

Decades, eh? Guess the median age of the
equipment we work on in AGA...

Nickel Cadmium, a typical electronics plating media, is NOT one of
the dangerous types, and is likely the most common you'll see in older
equipment. The dangerous uses have indeed been out for a long time,
and the places where more pure bits of cadmium were used is not likely
in the gear you refer to. Certainly not on its exterior.
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:08:26 -0800, "Sofie" Gave us:

Dave Moo
Soldering takes place at much too low temperature for solder to vaporize and
fume.

Correct.

Most "lead" problems are a result of poor hygiene..... not washing
your hands after handling circuit board and solder and BEFORE you handle
food, pick your nose or your teeth or chew on your finger nails.

Utter bull****. Solder joint do not glean off lead molecules. None
one could gain any count of anyway.

Now spend a day forming semi-rigid SMA coax cables that are
unsheathed, and you will see some gray film on the fingers.

I spent the day in ARack, but I am no hero... :-]
Posted to alt.guitar.amps,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On 7 Mar 2007 13:29:49 -0800, "Xtrchessreal"
Gave us:

When I was about 10 my dad brought home a bottle of pure Mercury. He
showed us how cool it was on a steel plate and warned us not to touch
it. Nice of him huh?

I have 3.5 pounds of it, and use it to demonstrate buoyancy of heavy
metallic objects, among other things.

lead free solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 11 September 2nd 06 06:36 PM
Lead-Free vs. 63/37 tin/lead solder [email protected] Electronics Repair 28 June 17th 06 12:29 PM
Lead in 50 year-old plumbing solder? [email protected] Home Repair 49 April 19th 06 09:08 PM
Lead Free solder Michael Chare UK diy 38 March 4th 06 04:56 PM
Lead based solder 4square UK diy 34 May 2nd 05 03:07 PM