Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Manufacturer questions I always wanted answered

I always wanted the following questions answered but never thought of
asking them:

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese? as most otheir products always said
"made in Malaysia"
2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?
3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?
4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".
5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?
6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?
7)Who invented VHS? Panasonic or JVC? or is it that JVC invented the
tape and Panasonic the machine?
8)Why don't manufacturers in USA & Canada provide a large full page
schematic of their tv's & vcr's included in the owner's manual like
many parts of the world?.

Sidney
32 years old
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia
Canada

http://groups.google.com/group/hfx.f...696 fbf04837f

http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/May02/May18.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SonyAudMod.html
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...ge/32-9495.jpg
http://www.tipsmaster.ca/hottips-1.HTM
http://www.tipsmaster.ca/1011-TV32C50-007.jpg
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/June03/June0315.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Apr03/Apr033.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
I always wanted the following questions answered but never thought of
asking them:

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese? as most otheir products always said
"made in Malaysia"

Japanese, but has factories everywhere, like Sony and many other brands.
Today some Sharps are made in Turkey by Vestel (quality dropped)

2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?

Zenith went in bankrupt around 1993-1994. Zeniths after this year are trash
bins ()

3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?

BOH

4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just

I'm italian and i don't know USA laws. Here in italy there's a two-year
warranty for everything electronic.

5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?

I don't know if Zenith ever made C.R.T.s. ..

6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

I don't know

7)Who invented VHS? Panasonic or JVC? or is it that JVC invented the
tape and Panasonic the machine?

The first VHS was from Matsu****a Electric and sold under Panasonic and
National brands. Maybe sold under JVC too

8)Why don't manufacturers in USA & Canada provide a large full page
schematic of their tv's & vcr's included in the owner's manual like
many parts of the world?.

Ahem.. we have the same problem here in Italy.
In past times schematics were complete and with a lot of explanations. Now
there are only schematics without explanations, or, no schematics!
Some times schematics cant' be found in Internet, and we don't have
schematics (grr)

http://groups.google.com/group/hfx.f...696 fbf04837f
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/May02/May18.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/SonyAudMod.html
http://www.newark.com/product-detail...ge/32-9495.jpg
http://www.tipsmaster.ca/hottips-1.HTM
http://www.tipsmaster.ca/1011-TV32C50-007.jpg
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/June03/June0315.html
http://www.iwaynet.net/~nesda/Apr03/Apr033.html

Links? About what?

from italy
bye

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Inty (BHO!) wrote:
ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
I always wanted the following questions answered but never thought of
asking them:

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese? as most otheir products always said
"made in Malaysia"

Japanese, but has factories everywhere, like Sony and many other brands.
Today some Sharps are made in Turkey by Vestel (quality dropped)

I am talking about their older units

2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?

Zenith went in bankrupt around 1993-1994. Zeniths after this year are trash
bins ()

3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?

BOH

4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just

I'm italian and i don't know USA laws. Here in italy there's a two-year
warranty for everything electronic.

5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?

I don't know if Zenith ever made C.R.T.s. ..

yes they did.

[...]

The links are my signature which state my qualifications so that techs
here know I am one of them and not a garage hack.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".

The "parts for 7 years" has always been an urban legend.

Warranty and parts availability at least in the USA, has not been
controlled by law, but whatever the company thought was in their best
interest.

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ancient_Hacker wrote:

4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".

The "parts for 7 years" has always been an urban legend.

Warranty and parts availability at least in the USA, has not been
controlled by law, but whatever the company thought was in their best
interest.

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Simple. Don't buy HP !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The answer to most of your questions is ..its the consumers fault . 98%
of consumers want everything for a low price so all the manufacturers
cut every corner they could to lower the prices resulting in low quality
and poor service .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15 Oct 2006 04:51:42 -0700, the renowned wrote:

I always wanted the following questions answered but never thought of
asking them:

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese? as most otheir products always said
"made in Malaysia"

It's a Japanese company. Malaysia is the location of at least one of
their assembly plants.

2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?
3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?
4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".
5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?
6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

Panasonic is one of Matsu****a's trade names (along with National and
Technics). Matsu****a owns a 50% share in JVC (and has since the
1950s), so they should show their preference to components produced by
their corporate overlords.

7)Who invented VHS? Panasonic or JVC? or is it that JVC invented the
tape and Panasonic the machine?

Probably JVC, and it was adoped by their parent company (and a bunch
of other companies) to compete against the Sony Betamax alliance.

8)Why don't manufacturers in USA & Canada provide a large full page
schematic of their tv's & vcr's included in the owner's manual like
many parts of the world?.

They're not user servicable, so no need for a manual. It would just
cost extra money, encourage people to electrocute themselves, and
their survivors might sue.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...

I am talking about their older units

Malaysia, Japan, Philippines, and many others..

yes they did.

oh..

The links are my signature which state my qualifications so that techs
here know I am one of them and not a garage hack.

all right..
i am a garage hacker

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I always wanted the following questions answered but never thought of
asking them:

snip
4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".
5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?

snip
8)Why don't manufacturers in USA & Canada provide a large full page
schematic of their tv's & vcr's included in the owner's manual like
many parts of the world?.

snip

4-There never has been a warranty law in the US. The manufactures
simply have to honor any stated warranty. A select very few U.S.
States have laws on the books that the manufacture must supply repair
parts (or a prorated replacement unit) for up to 7 years, but the laws
have not made any difference. Only one of the laws address the cost of
the parts, but it uses the manufactures suggested retail price for a
basis on the parts price.

5- LG Electronics knew that CRTs were short lived due to the new
technologies being developed. Zenith had several CRT manufacturing
plants already in place, so they used them knowing they would be phased
out in a few short years. It was a simple matter of business. Plus
now LG could control the gun assemblies being used rather than the
cheap China made ones Zenith started using around 94.

8- Manufactures CANNOT by law give schematics or service information to
customers in the users guide or manual. The simple fact of putting a
schematic in the OWNERS manual will keep it from being UL certified for
sale in the USA. Even the European standards for the low voltage
directive include a clause of reasonable misuse or abuse. I would say
that putting a schematic in the users manual would make the user think
they can take the unit apart no matter what warnings are in the manual
or on the unit. I have yet to find any manufacture that will not sell
at reasonable cost to a qualified servicer the service information,
some even provide them for free, Hitachi for one. Realize that many
newer units have boards and proprietary parts that should not be
serviced in the field due to the cost of the equipment and skill levels
required which most shops do not want to afford.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

4-There never has been a warranty law in the US.

Some States, like MA have laws of this sort, but only a handfull.

I have yet to find any manufacture that will not sell
at reasonable cost to a qualified servicer the service information,
some even provide them for free, Hitachi for one.

Then you have not tried to service many of the newer products. Infocus,
BenQ, Viewsonic, Dell, and many more of the vendors currently selling
consumer products will not sell you parts nor manuals. Hitachi is a very
atypical vendor, providing excellent service support for free to any
qualified (actually, any shop that is a legitimate business, not necesarily
qualified to do very much) servicer. Most other vendors do not supply
training materials beyond their ASCs and many manuals are not reasonably
priced at all. It very much depends on the vendor.

Even many of the traditional TV makers are providing very limited support
for field service on boards that are easily serviced. Sharp and Panasonic,
for instance provide NO SCHEMATIC in the service manual and no parts list
for some power supplies that are easily repaired.

Until servicers and consumers pressure manufacturers, the trend will likely
continue. Gateway, for instance, would not sell part for their PDPs until
just recently. They have changed their tune after many customer complaints
and lawsuits. Even so, their service support is virtually useless, other
than guessing at what board to change.

When the auto service industry began to limit support to independent
servicers, the ASC negotiated with them to solve the problem, avoiding
action in Congress. They took a proactive stance insupport of servicers and
consumers. Too bad NESDA in the USA has amounted to nothing more than a
group of "good ole boys" who get together for a party once a year.

Leonard

It has removed 8119 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken G." wrote in message

The answer to most of your questions is ..its the consumers fault . 98%
of consumers want everything for a low price so all the manufacturers
cut every corner they could to lower the prices resulting in low quality
and poor service .

That's the retailer's fault. They never show you a good reason to spend more
than the minimum, and when they do try you get the impression that they are
motivated by a bonus and not a desire to help you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Ken G." wrote in message

The answer to most of your questions is ..its the consumers fault . 98%
of consumers want everything for a low price so all the manufacturers
cut every corner they could to lower the prices resulting in low quality
and poor service .

That's the retailer's fault. They never show you a good reason to spend
more than the minimum, and when they do try you get the impression that
they are motivated by a bonus and not a desire to help you.

Not always true. There are lots of quality dealers out there that
understand the differences between price and value, and between selection
and choice. The consumer demanding more for less, combined with the trend
in retailing toward box-moving effiencies at the expense of value added and
intelligent decision making are BOTH at fault. When consumers demand more,
they generally get it. The success of specialty retailers and custom
installation and integration services is evidence of this. The retail and
service industries in general lack creativity, knowledge, and vision, and
the result is the lowest common denominator. There are notable exceptions,
though they have to be sought out beyond the laundry lists disguised as full
color adds in the Sunday paper.

Leonard

It has removed 8126 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

The plot thickens.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

The plot thickens.

I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a. They are
or were heavily into the broadcast market. MII was the rival to Sony
Betacam, and arguably of better quality - so the VHS/Beta situation got
reversed there as Betacam was by far more popular.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

" wrote:

[...]

The schematics were shipped inside the TV for decades. All UL cares
about is if the set will catch on fire, implode, or tip over. They test
for any reasonable safety fault, nothing more. Be sure not to forget
their high testing fees, of course.

Have you ever met a real, live UL inspector? I have, and all they
were worried about was the paperwork process used by my employer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a.

That's how I remember it - from 40 years ago.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

The plot thickens.

I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a. They are
or were heavily into the broadcast market. MII was the rival to Sony
Betacam, and arguably of better quality - so the VHS/Beta situation got
reversed there as Betacam was by far more popular.

Matsu****a came up with the Panasonic name when they entered the US
market, to sound "More American". They felt the use of Matsu****a would
hurt sales because it didn't look or sound "American"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Matsu****a came up with the Panasonic name when they entered the US
market, to sound "More American". They felt the use of Matsu****a would
hurt sales because it didn't look or sound "American"

In the UK we have one chain of electrical dealers whose own brand name is
Japanese sounding. I think they should have called it Lucas. ;-)

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

1)Is Sharp Malaysian or Japanese? as most otheir products always said
"made in Malaysia"

Sharp Electronics is a Japanese company. They probably build things wherever
they can do so, as long as it is the cheapest place to do so. Their
headquarters in Japan is probably more devoted to business related work, and
not actual manufacturing. Drivers for their printers still appear to be
developed in Japan.

2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?

The most likely answer is that the buying public wanted things cheaper.
Things can only get so cheap (at least usually) before something gives.
Zenith might have been teetering on the edge of failure at that point, and
the RCA/GE brands had become part of Thomson Consumer Electronics around
that time.

3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?

Dunno. Not sure how you'd find out.

4)Why did the law in USA for manufacturers (any kind not just
electronics) being responsible for backing their products by parts &
service change from 7 years to 5 then nothing now?,meaning now you can
buy a product with no warranty and when parts are needed "sorry NLA".

No warranty? Now that I highly doubt.

As far as parts go, the way I've heard it is that manufacturers are under no
obligation to provide parts to the public...only authorized repair centers.
Any more, it is said that product lines and the technology used to produce
them are passed up by something "newer" (not always better--maybe "cheaper")
that providing parts and service over the long term doesn't make sense.

Many people don't care to repair something when it breaks anyway. They just
toss it, give it away or whatever and then buy something new.

5)Why did LG Goldstar decide to place Zenith crt's in many Goldstar
tv's since they bought Zenith from bankruptsy in 1996 or so?

Couldn't tell you for sure...I don't know if LG was/is in the picture tube
business. And the TVs may have really been built by Zenith to start with. If
when they bought Zenith, control over the entire operation became theirs (as
it surely did) someone may have decided that the picture tube manufacturing
facilities were an asset.

6)I noticed many JVC products have Panasonic parts what is the
relationship?

Perhaps it's a business relationship between the two. Some of the things in
a VCR are high precision parts that not anyone can make. It may be cheaper
for JVC to buy the parts and assemblies from someone else than to make them
in-house. In any case, few electronic devices have components that were made
by the company who assembled them.

7)Who invented VHS? Panasonic or JVC? or is it that JVC invented the
tape and Panasonic the machine?

As far as I know, it was JVC that invented VHS. (The JVC company makes this
claim.) Perhaps there was a marketing agreement between the two companies.
Such things happen quite often when a new technology comes out...companies
may form alliances with one another.

8)Why don't manufacturers in USA & Canada provide a large full page
schematic of their tv's & vcr's included in the owner's manual like
many parts of the world?.

People in the US don't generally want to repair anything. Also, it's getting
harder to find repair shops. There was a good one here that just disappeared
one day. To this day I still don't know why. They managed to do quite a
business. At one time the practice of providing service literature with a
product was common, however. I have a Montgomery Ward branded 19 inch table
TV (still working well) from the mid-80s that has a plastic compartment
containing a complete packet of service literature. Printed all over this
literature in red ink are notices stating that the documentation is the
property of the customer and should be returned with the set when it is
repaired.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Now that is truly odd. I've found that HP has usually done a good job of
providing updated drivers for many older products. In my case, they had
updated the Mac OS X drivers to be "Universal" (Intel & PowerPC) software
for a DeskJet 5800 series printer. On the PC side of things, I was impressed
to note that XP/2000 drivers were available for my OfficeJet 500 series
machine.

As far as I'm aware, the 64 bit editions of Windows XP have not been hugely
popular, have a pile of limitations on what current software can run on
them, and much hardware doesn't appear to be supported.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

Have you ever met a real, live UL inspector? I have, and all they
were worried about was the paperwork process used by my employer.

IOW, so long as it passed the ISO 9001 bureaucracy tests, they were happy?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

The plot thickens.

I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a. They are
or were heavily into the broadcast market. MII was the rival to Sony
Betacam, and arguably of better quality - so the VHS/Beta situation got
reversed there as Betacam was by far more popular.

You're definitely right about Panasonic being a Matsu****a brand now that I
come to think of it.

JVC invented VHS though.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Matsu****a came up with the Panasonic name when they entered the US
market, to sound "More American". They felt the use of Matsu****a would
hurt sales because it didn't look or sound "American"

In the UK we have one chain of electrical dealers whose own brand name is
Japanese sounding. I think they should have called it Lucas. ;-)

Don't forget they had both Saisho and Matsui.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Now that is truly odd. I've found that HP has usually done a good job of
providing updated drivers for many older products.

Really ?

Easily a decade ago I recall getting a DJ500C ? and it wouldn't install on WFWG
it was 'unsupported' as a 'network printer'.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:

Panasonic is a JVC trade name. They're quite good parts actually.

Think that's the wrong way round. Panasonic is owned by Matsu****a, who
took over JVC in the '50s.

The plot thickens.

I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a. They are
or were heavily into the broadcast market. MII was the rival to Sony
Betacam, and arguably of better quality - so the VHS/Beta situation got
reversed there as Betacam was by far more popular.

You're definitely right about Panasonic being a Matsu****a brand now that I
come to think of it.

National and technics too.

Bob

JVC invented VHS though.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Matsu****a came up with the Panasonic name when they entered the US
market, to sound "More American". They felt the use of Matsu****a would
hurt sales because it didn't look or sound "American"

Why didn't they use National, a brand name they had already been using
in the rest of the world, including Japan? Was it because the National
boy looked too much like Bob's Big Boy?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

Really ?

Yep. I don't think I've ever had a DeskJet 500C in my possession, but I do
have a 500 and a 560C, both of which are still in active use. Both have been
attached to Windows for Workgroups machines and they worked fine in a
networked environment.

HP used to say that a lot of their printers were "not supported" as network
printers...I know the 600 and 660 were on that list. It involved a lot of
tinkering around, but I did get them working over a network. I wish I could
remember just how I'd done it--one of those printers wore out and the other
one, while still around, is hooked up to a much newer computer.

William

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Why didn't they use National, a brand name they had already been using
in the rest of the world, including Japan? Was it because the National
boy looked too much like Bob's Big Boy?

The Japanese mind?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:

You're definitely right about Panasonic being a Matsu****a brand now that I
come to think of it.

JVC invented VHS though.

JVC was part of a small consortium that bought the rights to Ampex's
cartridge video tape design when they decided not to enter the consumer
video tape market. IIRC, they paid a measly $10,000 for everything.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
I always assumed Panasonic was the premium brand of Matsu****a. They are
or were heavily into the broadcast market. MII was the rival to Sony
Betacam, and arguably of better quality - so the VHS/Beta situation got
reversed there as Betacam was by far more popular.

You're definitely right about Panasonic being a Matsu****a brand now that I
come to think of it.

JVC invented VHS though.

It became part of the Matsu****a group - they bought 50% - in the early
'50s, so I'd guess it's simply a marketing thing.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
JVC was part of a small consortium that bought the rights to Ampex's
cartridge video tape design when they decided not to enter the consumer
video tape market. IIRC, they paid a measly $10,000 for everything.

Didn't know that. If you Google on helical scan the hits I looked at
credit Ampex with inventing this in '56 - but of course the original 2"
quadruplex pro machines weren't helical scan. They had the head at right
angles to the tape and achieved head wrap with vacuum. Four heads were
needed on the drum so one was always in contact with the tape - hence the
name. This was impractical for domestic use as you need a clean supply of
compressed air. Helical scan gets round this by having the head just off
in line with the tape and records along, rather than across, the tape and
only needs two heads on the drum. The tape itself can deform enough for
good head contact so no vacuum needed.

Ampex pro helical scan - 1" C Format - machines didn't appear until the
late '60s, although others had used it for semi-pro apps before.

So I do wonder who holds the patent on helical scan? More Googling is
needed...

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

2)Why did Sony,RCA and Zenith tv quality dropped dramatically since
around 1990-3?

Probably because of:

3)When the owner of Sony died around 1990-3 why did the accountant get
the corporation?

Keyword= accountant.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

I would think they have expired, long ago. Open R-R 1/2" mono and
color machines were being sold by Panasonic, Shibaden and Sony by 1970
as "Industrial Video" for making training tapes and low grade
commercials. My high school got a Panasonic for the '69-'70 school year,
and only two tapes and a camera. It was to be used to time shift the
EDTV on PBS to when a teacher needed it. I had teachers demanding that
very show related to their class be recorded and archived on tape that
was $110 an hour.

The US Army was in the process of phasing out all of its 2" Ampex
machines to U-matic at Ft Rucker Alabama when I was stationed there in
'72-'73. Ever see a U-matic with a Tektronix nameplate? the military
wasn't allowed to purchase foreign made electronics, unless it was
supported by a well known US company, so the Sony machines were sold
through Tektronix.

BTW, two 2" machines and the associated equipment was in a full
length tractor trailer for remote shoots. Less than 20 years later I had
more capability in the back of the mobile production unit I built in a
standard length van for WACX in Orlando.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Eeyore wrote:
"William R. Walsh" wrote:

Hi!

It's getting really bad in some cases: for example a lot of $899 HP
printers that are just a year or three old do not have ANY print
drivers available from HP for the latest 64-bit XP.

Now that is truly odd. I've found that HP has usually done a good job of
providing updated drivers for many older products.

Really ?

Easily a decade ago I recall getting a DJ500C ? and it wouldn't install on WFWG
it was 'unsupported' as a 'network printer'.

Is that a control-panel-less printer? If not, more or less all printers
will run on a whole host of other-model drivers. If a driver isnt
availble I just pick something else with the same type of print, ie
same resolution and same print technology (inkjet/dm/daisy/laser etc)
and same manufacturer. The differences tend to lie in very minor points
that arent a problem in practice.

NT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:29:16 +0100 Eeyore
wrote in Message id:
:

I've *never* see a schematic in an owner's manual ever !

I did. Once. It was a 13" Goldstar purchased around 1984 or so. Of course
the thing lasted till the CRT finaly faded out (14 years!)

Questions, questions... Sailaway Woodworking 7 March 14th 06 10:03 PM
FAQ: Answering questions emailed direct to 'editor' Phil Addison UK diy 21 January 29th 06 10:38 PM
Sump Pump questions John Home Repair 7 January 5th 06 12:25 AM
TS Setup/alignment questions Mike W. Woodworking 43 March 31st 05 12:21 AM
PEX Fresh Water system/repipe questions -l ong BobK207 Home Repair 1 March 13th 05 10:37 PM