Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Default Questions, questions...

I've been lurking here for a while now, and each time I need some info
or advice it seems I nearly always find some golden nuggets in posts,
past and present, as well as by going to the links found in posts that
usually leads me to the info I need. As for google - eh, not so good yet
And while I've been taking a long time to set up a woodworking shop,
I'm having just as much fun working to tune up my power and hand tools
through the info learned here. So to all those who get annoyed at the
newbie questions - the ones who have answered those questions have
provided quite a lot of valuable info that has enabled me, at least, to
get much farther, much faster, and at less expense than would have been
possible otherwise (as well as possibly avoiding expensive mistakes).
And for those with wit as well as wisdom, thanks for the entertainment
as well as the info - please keep it coming.
I do have a few questions though, any wreckers here in northern New
Jersey? And if so, where do you buy hardwoods? I have been doing all the
usual searches - internet, phone book, asking around, etc. but haven't
found anything better than the local lumber yards that cater to builders
(and they keep their lumber outside).
Posted to rec.woodworking
Buddy Matlosz

I do have a few questions though, any wreckers here in northern New
Jersey? And if so, where do you buy hardwoods? I have been doing all the
usual searches - internet, phone book, asking around, etc. but haven't
found anything better than the local lumber yards that cater to builders
(and they keep their lumber outside).

How far north are you? There's Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge
(http://www.monteath.com/) and US Mahogany in Aberdeen
(http://www.usmahogany.com/). There was also a place in Elizabeth but I
don't know the name or if it still exists.

Buddy (Lakewood, NJ)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Buddy wrote:
How far north are you? There's Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge
(http://www.monteath.com/) and US Mahogany in Aberdeen
(http://www.usmahogany.com/). There was also a place in Elizabeth but I
don't know the name or if it still exists.

Buddy,
That's still pretty far south, a few hours on the Garden State
Parking Lot on most days. Was hoping to find something up my neck of the
woods, around Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties. I live near Paterson.
Thanks though.
Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Sorry, left this out
http://www.woodply.com/p_hardwood.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Sailaway wrote:
Buddy wrote:
How far north are you? There's Monteath Lumber in Old Bridge
(http://www.monteath.com/) and US Mahogany in Aberdeen
(http://www.usmahogany.com/). There was also a place in Elizabeth but I
don't know the name or if it still exists.

Buddy,
That's still pretty far south, a few hours on the Garden State
Parking Lot on most days. Was hoping to find something up my neck of the
woods, around Bergen/Passaic/Morris counties. I live near Paterson.
Thanks though.

Condon's in Stormville, NY is about 60 miles from Tenafly.
Wood-Ply in Freeport, NY http://www.woodply.com is about 35 miles.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

Ricodjour sent this:
Condon's in Stormville, NY is about 60 miles from Tenafly.
Wood-Ply in Freeport, NY http://www.woodply.com is about 35 miles.
Sorry, left this out
http://www.woodply.com/p_hardwood.htm

Thanks, I'll check these out. I thought Condon's was just flooring.
Their website doesn't mention anything about other woods.
Woodply looks like the closest.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Sailaway

dtekie allowed me his experience thusly:
I like Garreson in upstate NY. Easy to deal with and have been happy
with their wood.
http://www.garresonlumber.com/
Hartzell Lumber is good also purchased oak a couple years ago and was
very satisfied.
http://hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/

I've thought about ordering online, but since I'm new to wood as opposed
to metal (other than basic carpentry) I wanted to learn by seeing and
touching the wood and asking questions of the wood dealers until I am
comfortable enough to purchase online. And of course, everything is more
expensive in NJ! Can't wait for the new gas taxes...
Thanks for the info